Chumba Racing EVO All Mountain Full Suspension

The EVO sets a new standard in the 6" travel category. Utilizing the patent pending FCC suspension linkage, the EVO pedals like a cross country bike, but can take hits like the worthy long travel competitor that it is. This revolutionary new combination of cross-country pedaling efficiency and downhill-inspired descending takes the trail riding experience to a whole new level.

• Made from 6061 T-6.
  • Available in small, medium and large.
  • Frame offered in white, black, and red.
  • Equipped with a Fox DHX Air 5.0 7.875"x2.0"

• User Reviews (26)

tne613   Downhiller [Dec 10, 2010]
    Strength:

Strong; descends amazing; stable at high speeds; feels like it has 8" of travel; pedals awesome; beatiful when built up (with the right parts)!

could lose a few lbs; ugly as just a frame; rear brake line keeps hitting my left calf; only 1 1/8" headtube

I wanted a cheapo AM frame to throw my old parts on so I could bike around Germany for a month and hit up the bike parks there. I found this gem on ebay and threw my max bid at $600. Surprisingly, I won and I'm glad I did. Out of the box, the frame had 1st rate craftsmanship, but I was apprehensive at first about how well it would perform...it looked a lot "different" than most bikes in my fleet. I threw my old parts on it and never really had a chance to ride it for its intended purpose...

Fast forward 3 months later and I'm recently back from a month at Whistler. I'm recovering from withdrawals by riding at Mammoth. My Driver 8 is in the shop getting the Totem worked on...I took out the Chumba and haven't ridden the Driver 8 at Mammoth since. It was only 3 lbs lighter than the Driver 8 (35 lbs w/ Azonic Outlaws on it), but it felt like half the weight...it was so nimble. It improved my riding style and I was actually able to ride EVERYTHING just as fast, if not faster, than I did on my Driver 8...and I love my D8! My EVO is now my favorite bike and all my high end parts went onto it. I'm debating whether I should take the Driver 8 or EVO to Whistler next summer, but if I take the Chumba I'm worried I'll have no need for my Santa Cruz (except maybe REALLY gnar stuff).

Similar Products Used: Sinister Ridge freeride hardtail; Santa Cruz Driver 8; Specialized Enduro
    MivecGPX   Weekend Warrior [Jun 01, 2010]
    Strength:

Stability, rollability, secure rear end, great in the air, breeds downhilling confidence

That odd front mech, changes fine but never quite able to stop chain rubbing when on big ring except in 8th or 9th gear

I love this bike. The combination of tractor tyres and extra bulk mean this thing is no spring chicken on the ups but it's by no means a beast and you'll get there in the end if you twiddle away long enough. This thing comes into its own when you let gravity help. The relaxed angles and chunky frame, coupled with decent forks and wheels, just make for amazingly well sorted descents. Despite what is, I'm told, a relatively high BB, the thing is much more stable than my Turner in the air and far easier to negotiate hairpin corners on. Confidence in my riding ability just sky rockets when I'm on this machine, I can't wait to get it to the Alps this summer! note... got the frame for a knock down price, so amazing value too ;-)

Similar Products Used: Turner 5-spot
    greeninny   Weekend Warrior [Mar 12, 2010]
    Strength:

Stable handling at all speeds, minimal pedal bob(never used propedal). suspension balance, chumba factory service, handles the stutter bumps smoothly but can still take hard hits, strong frame with superb craftsmanship, awesome looks.

chumba factory seat hurts after about 40 miles. Don't get a SRAM 971 chain on it, although a 991 works great.

The EVO is a superb handling bike and put the GF to shame. The 1st thing i noticed over the GF is the EVO's handling, its very stable and tractable at all speeds. The EVO is also very easy to pedal uphill. I use this bike consistently on 50 mile+ rides. I have had no failures except the SRAM971 chain. My primary riding is in hilly rough single track and on a poorly maintained but active railroad bed(slow moving steam engine). The EVO takes the small teeth chattering vibrations from the railroad and smooths them out nicely but can still take the hard hits from missing railroad ties and single track drops. I haven't compared the evo to other bikes in that class but i can't see how it could get any better than the evo.

Similar Products Used: GF Cake2, i know its not similar but i got the evo to supplement the Cake2, but the evo now gets used for everything including xc "style" trail riding and railroad beds
    billyzeek   Downhiller [Jan 28, 2010]
    Strength:

Climbs great, descends even better, tough as nails, feels bottomless, gorgeous (although many think its ugly), incredible craftsmanship, the list goes on...

It's a bit on the heavy side but if you're purchasing an Evo you're probably not a weight weenie. I can see the stand over being a bit tight if you have short legs.

Awesome!!! This was my first MTB purchase so I did an exorbitant amount of research. First of all I wanted something that was super fun descending. But I also wanted something that could conquer the necessary evil of climbing. The Evo was the result of my research.

This bike is absolutely confidence inspiring. It makes me believe that I'm better than I really am (which will probably get me in trouble one of these days). I was a bit hesitant at first since I'm very new to the MTB scene but once I learned to trust the bike a whole new world opened up. All I do is let go of the brakes and let the bike do all the work. I have ridden 8+ inch DH bikes in Mammoth and the Evo can easily hang with these on the DH. And better yet it climbs like a champ as well. Since I don't have a talas the front end will start to wonder a bit on super steep climbs but a slight adjustment to my weight distribution solves the problem quickly. My build weighs in at a hefty 36.7lbs and I'm only 150lbs and have no problem cranking this thing uphills.

The Evo has helped me realize a level of progression I thought unimaginable. And the CCDB makes the bike perform even better. I had an RP23 on it for a little over a month and the CCDB is night and day difference. I just couldn't get the RP23 shock dialed-in for my weight. I think a coil shock (specifically the CCDB) complements the Evo very well...and makes it super plush.

With the RP23 I never had to use propedal on climbs (with the CCDB I don't have to run much LSC). Could be the result of my light weight but this bike has no pedal bob.

All in all I would definitely recommend purchasing an Evo. I can't even put into words how much fun I have riding this bike. My only regret is I wish I stumbled upon MTB and Chumba earlier.

Similar Products Used: None. This is my first MTB
    digdat   Downhiller [Jan 04, 2010]
    Strength:

Descends great, climbs great, machining and construction are gorgeous and awe-inspiring. Looks (yeah, plenty of people out there strongly disagree, but I think this is one hot machine and it's all about function driving form!)

Standover (as everyone mentions) -- and if you're a weight weenie, most builds will come in between 34-36 lb but it's possible to get down to almost 30lb -- the stock air shock is a touch bouncy yet insufficiently plush on small bumps for my tastes

If you're looking for an AM bike, be sure to check the EVO out.

If money is no object, get an EVO and deck it out with top of the line components, keeping it light without sacrificing strength. With top of the line components and a good coil, you'll probably come in a bit north of 32 lb. You'll end up with one of the best (if not the best) AM bikes money can buy.

OTOH, if money is important to you, like it is for most of us, then you're not going to find a better deal than an EVO. Here's your opportunity to own a bike that competes with bikes in the $5000 range that can be had with decent components for about $3000. No brainer.

The Talas is sublime. If you can get a CCDB, that too is sublime.

Now what makes my review different from everyone else's: I love to climb with the EVO. You'll hear countless stories about how much fun the bike is when you point it down, about how you can equip it with a double-crown and race DH on it. But where the bile really shines for me, believe it or not, is with climbing.

I've tried various XC bikes and felt top-heavy and out of balance while climbing on them. Some I've tried had too much suspension bob and compression while climbing. Not so with the EVO. I have amazing control over my center of mass while climbing on the EVO. I can sit comfortably in the saddle and lazily spin my way to the top of moderate climbs no matter how long, and for sprinting out of the saddle, I get virtually no pedal bob or compression. The bike cooperates fully.

I've tried the GT Ruckus (freeride) and climbing was just about out of the question on that beast. The EVO, while nowhere near as heavy, is still a not a light bike, yet I don't feel the weight while climbing because it is so easy to control and every stroke of my pedaling goes toward moving me forward and is used so efficiently.

So now that I've made it to the top, I can drop the seat, extend the Talas, and just let the bike roll on down. I sometimes wish it were a little heavier going down, but that's because I'm not that good of a downhiller and anything to boost confidence is a good thing. That said, the bike is so sure-footed I've literally lost MY balance on the bike because I made a stupid mental mistake, yet the EVO didn't care. It just kept going steady, stuck to the ground, gobbling the terrain and staying stable. So for those times when I made those stupid mistakes, I didn't fall, because I held on tight and the bike took care of me. If that's not confidence-inspiring I don't know what is.

A word on standover. Some people think the EVO's standover is too high. Yes, it's going to hurt if you're a man and not at least about 5'9 and you suddenly find yourself dismounting forward onto your feet, straddling the bike. But I'd suggest that if you find yourself straddling bikes much you're doing it wrong. For 99% of the time you spend actually enjoying the bike, you're going to be seated, squatting, or climbing out of the saddle. There should never be significant time spent with your feet on the ground the toptube between your legs.

5 chillis because the EVO rules plain and simple.
    5 value chilis because the EVO will save you money even though it's the best AM bike out there

Similar Products Used: GT Ruckus (not quite a similar product, but all the other bikes I've owned were XC and for what it's worth, I like the way the EVO climbs better than even the XC bikes)
    caseyoj   Weekend Warrior [Nov 23, 2009]
    Strength:

The frame is great! I thought it might be over built/over kill but after the first ride I was hooked. it's fast and plush it soaks up whatever is in the way and it will definitely boost your confidence on the downhill.

after the build its a bit heavy, it's more of a downhill bike. it goes up well with some pedaling it's just the nature of the beast!

The frame is tuff and as i posted above i thought over built but after your first ride take a step back and see for your self. and the custmer help at CHUMBA was excellent, all n all the bike is great! for the downhill i've got it set up for my needs,fast,plush and rolling over everything. it's a definit confidence boster!!!
    it is a bit on the heavy side due to my curent build? i think it's at 35+Lb but i only notice it on the up hill and even then not that much.
    I'm going 5 out of 5 Chilis for value and 4 out of 5 overall as it's my first AM frame/bike

Similar Products Used: none
    406trails   Weekend Warrior [Jul 08, 2009]
    Strength:

Like a stealth motorcycle! Soaks up everything on the downhills, very good on the climbs. Burly yet nimble. Perfect.

Inspires over-confidence. Can't get the wings to stay deployed. No rocket launchers. Feel guilty riding a bike this nice.

Holy S#*t! This thing is fun. I've been riding motorcycles in the mountains for many years, and finally got it together to buy a new mountain bike. It had been a while since I pedaled, but this bike felt great from the beginning. I can’t believe how fast I can go downhill. The climbs are much easier than I expected as well. Some reviews say the bike is a bit heavy, but I’m used to 250 pound bikes, so the Evo is like a hot rod to me. I can’t imagine I would want much less weight anyway. It seems perfectly weighted to stick to the trails and it feels really solid, so I’m not afraid I’m going to trash it when I inevitably careen off the low side. I feel like the bike compensates for my lack of finesse- I’m really a hack but when in the saddle the Evo feels sure footed and nimble. The suspension action is amazingly smooth and predictable. On my very first ride I was just letting the bike go, and man, it just went. I haven’t had that much fun on 2 wheels in a while.

The build quality is absolutely fantastic- the welds are perfect, the machining is superb, and the finish is flawless- an American made work of art. I have the anodized black model, and it looks like it’s on loan from the space program. The Evo with the cool-looking Chumba logo faceplate draws comments and envious looks everywhere.

The bike looks tall, and it is. I’m 5’10” and standover on the size medium is tight. Once in the saddle, however, I forget about that completely. I’m used to motorcycles anyway, but I definitely don’t think the height thing is an issue at all. If you set the sag and dial the suspension correctly you’ll be perfectly poised to roll over anything.

I can’t say enough about this bike and the company. I couldn’t imagine needing another bike, but if I do, my first call will be to Chumba. Brilliant.

Similar Products Used: The Evo is most similar to my Hondas than it is to anything I've had to pedal. I have an old Pro Flex full suspension as well, but it really doesn't compare at all.
    jrnolan   Racer [Apr 16, 2009]
    Strength:

Ability to do everything very well

Last year I rode this bike only on the DH trails at Timberline. The trails are man made flowing technical single track; steep, rocky, roots, drop offs. Also very fast ATV double track with bermed turns and doubles. In short every kind of riding you can find. No skinnies or wooden features.

The EVO did not fail anywhere, it is very good at all of it. Really good at pedal sections.

This spring I am riding the EVO as my only bike XC and ever day bike. I love it, just wind down the fork and climb. I have been riding for a long time (1986) and have lived out West and East. This bike is the only bike that I have owned that really can get you up and down with the down part being almost limitless.

I have a great deal of MX and MIB experience, believe me the Evo will Moto!

Similar Products Used: None
    pmaccartney   Weekend Warrior [Nov 23, 2008]
    Strength:

Looks, weight, geometry, and all mountain performance

None so far

All the other reviews pretty well cover the Evo. Just wanted to add my two cents. My first mtb was the SC Nomad. So from an all mountain performer perspective the Evo had a tough act to follow.

Height wise, I'm right between a medium and a large on most bikes, so I have my Nomad (medium) set up as slightly more of a DH and technical bike. I use the Evo (large) as more of a XC bike. However, I took the Evo down Thunder Mountain in Utah and it was flawless in DH mode even though it only had a 140mm fork.

I can't say one climbs better than the other as far as the frames go. They both have almost no pedal bob. My Chumba performs slightly better in the climb but that's probably due to the fact that the Evo has a shorter fork and a lighter buildup than my Nomad, which as a Lyrik U-Turn 115-165mm fork.

The geometry is very similar between the two despite the completely different looks. For any given top tube length, the Nomad is a degree or two more slack than the Evo. For that reason, if you lean towards DH I'd recommend the Nomad, and if you lean towards XC I'd take the Evo. Both bikes completely kill it in the AM category.

A note on the price listed above: I bought a couple of bikes that day so I don't remember exactly what I paid for the Evo.