Cannondale RZ One Forty 3Z All Mountain Full Suspension

• Pedals: Crank Brothers Candy
  • Chain: KMC X9 CP 9-speed
  • Handlebars: Truvativ Hussefelt 680mm, 20mm riser

Josh   All Mountain Rider [Jun 30, 2015]
Strength:

Very solid and responsive frame. Fantastic balance and geometry at an acceptable weight.

The Hammerschmidt is heavy (but partially offset by having no front derailleur or shifter.) 1.5" head tube replacement forks are a pain to find, had to convert to tapered fork and buy half a headset after 5 years lol.)

Truly the pinnacle of "Handmade in the USA" hydroformed aluminum Cannondale frames before they were outsourced overseas. It comes with a VERY durable component group. Coming from a BMX background I tend to prefer the agility of hardtails, but the versatility of this bike pleased on every level: lock out the suspension and it feels like it climbs on it's own (on your first steep 180-degree switchback the Hammerschmidt will make you a believer) and then on the decent the head angle with amazing ground clearance and smooth / tight rear travel feels closer to a freeride rig.

In recent years I've added a lot of miles to my rides and told myself I would loss the Hammerschmidt when it worn out...it never did. I have over five hard seasons on this bike and, for the most part, have only had regular maintenance. I usually get about three years out of my mtb bikes and at the five year mark I test rode six new models and found absolutely nothing that felt as good as this bike.

One very noteworthy facet of this bike is the frame profile to accommodate the Hammerschmidt cranks. Sounds like a minor item, but much of the chain line technology developed for the Hammerschmidt drive train ended up being ground work for the XX1 group set. Instead of purchasing a new bike, I refreshed this one with a XX1 group, Hollowgram crank set (lost nearly two pounds in doing so,) and a new wheel set. It feels like a new bike! It has the perfect Q factor and chain line for 11-speed. The 11-speed set up is both lighter and has a wider range of gearing (in both the high and the low range) than the Hammerschmidt set up. I fully expect another five years out of this bike.

Alyx   Cross Country Rider [Nov 03, 2011]
Strength:

Geometry is excellent in allowing tight cornering for tough downhill sections but still stable at high speeds. Stock suspension is comfortable over all the terrain i've gone across riding the chatsworth and simi valley trails and fire roads. Little to no bounce on the uphills even if I don't lock out the Silver TK fork. I've never had hydraulic brakes before but I am a HUGE fan of them now, great control with the Elixer 3's no fade at all despite a gnarly discoloration on one of the rotors from riding the brake down a 2 mile gnarly decent a couple weekends ago (Don't know how well they perform wet.)

Come's with Wellgo's as part of the default package that came on the bike. Other than that nothing else I don't like from the factory kit except the SRAM shifters have no gear indicator.

Great bike at a steal of a price they were clearing the 2011 line making room for the 2012's. Being a 200lb 6'2" rider and finally coming off of a hard tail I am super pleased with this bike! I tested the Giant Anthem x2 and it was comparable to that but for a fraction of the price.

Similar Products Used: N/A this is my first FS bike I am moving up from hard tails.
Nocturnalnature   Cross Country Rider [Jul 23, 2011]
Strength:

Stiff frame and excellent geometry combine to make a bike that is truly competent for virtually any type of riding. Outstanding factory kit (with a few minor exceptions) means not having to upgrade anything expensive until it breaks. The Hammerschmidt actually lives up to the hype and is simply amazing. The climbing ability surpised me and left me pleasantly scratching my head wondering how it does it so efficiently. Lifetime frame warranty is a nice benefit as well.

Stock grips and pedals need to be replaced ASAP. Other than that it is bulletproof.

Purchased new as a leftover 2010 and virtually stole it. If you want a do it all bike with top of the line components, do yourself a favor and call around until you find one left on the showroom floor. It is truly an amazing bike and inspires confidence in just about any riding scenario.
I simply cannot find a flaw worthy enough to merit not giving this rig the 5 flamers in both categories that it fully deserves.