Cannondale Rize 5 All Mountain Full Suspension

The Rize is the Swiss Army knife of the trail bike world. It's a bike that brings all-new metalforming technology to the industry, and combines it with carbon-fiber fabrication techniques. It uses a dreamy-riding multi-pivot suspension with 130mm of balanced travel. The means that riders can use it as a do-it-all rig, whether you're riding notoriously gnarly rock gardens in the Northeast or the gently rolling foothills of the inter-mountain West.

fltrucker420   Downhiller [Nov 21, 2011]
Strength:

Light weight, nice turn geometry,some decent stock components, propedal on rear shock ROCKS the mt.

Ugliest color made, ridgeline tires suck I taco'd both WTB rims in short order, front derailure keeps moving out of line, cables need mor protection, hard to wrap chainstay,seat post clamp not quick release, pivot axles keep comming loose , even with locktite blue

I traded my friend for my 07' prophet 600,big mistake!if I had it to do again, i'd opt for an M-9, or a dare.all in all it's a decent entry level xc/trail bike, with limited dh/fr capabilities

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Gemini DH, c dale Prophet 600
jefft03   Weekend Warrior [Jun 30, 2011]
Strength:

Handling, shocks and overall performance.

I have noticed i have lost some power going up hills..but the gain in control and maneuverability has more than made up for that.

This 2010 bike was listed at $2000 and i got it for $1300..this was the last bike made in the USA by Cannondale. Probably the best bike i have ever ridden and hopefully will last me another 5 to 6 years. great price and awesome performance.

Similar Products Used: Giant Yukon
ScabFace   Weekend Warrior [May 21, 2011]
Strength:

Predictable, stiff, suspension that works for all types of trail. Efficient drive train transfers all power to the wheel. Well constructed. Paint hold up really well. Life time frame warranty rocks but I don't suspect I'll ever need it. Over 5 inches of travel, yet climbs like it has much less. Never felt like I needed a rear shock with propedal.

No particular weakness, This package comes together balanced. Frame has tons of potential. If there was one thing I could upgrade for free I would have a hard time picking. Hard to put on my trunk rack, have to put it on backwards and results in minor rubbing.

I'm a fairly cheap person, but I also like quality and for things to last. This purchase was more than I wanted to spend but I have no regrets. A superb frame with quality components without going overboard. So I am giving 5 chilies for value, because the whole package comes together nicely for the price range.
This is a true go anywhere bike. A perfect efficient climber, fast descender. Stock Brakes effective even for sustained steep downhills with minimal fade. Could benefit from a bigger rotor but not necessary. I thought the first thing I would upgrade was the fork, but after spending some time on it I had no complaints, the fork has done it's job nicely. I have had no problems with the bike. 5 chillies for overall rating, because you get more than you pay for when it comes to ride quality.

Similar Products Used: Jamis Dakar, Giant Trance
TheEasyOne   Weekend Warrior [Jan 21, 2011]
Strength:

Light weight high quality do-it-all frame; decent suspension design; fun to ride yet still very efficient; manoeuvrable

Not the stiffest design; if you take a smaller frame, the front wheel sometimes loses contact with the ground while climbing (even with the stem inversed); size small cannot take a decently sized water bottle; cable routing could be better or the frame could be better protected; swingarm is not designed for very broad tires; factory specs could be better.

For me this was a steal. After the re-build I got a trail bike that almost has the performance of an XC bike. With reasonably priced light components, the bike came out lighter than the stock Rize 1 Carbon. In addition, the bike is quite comfortable and very manoeuvrable. Overspecced for what I do and lighter than originally intended, this bike makes me ride faster and better than I can. Also on the downhills. There may be better bikes out there, but this one does the job for me very well. A no-fuzz fun bike that also holds its own on flat terrain or when you must go up before you can go down.

Similar Products Used: Tried several full-suspension bikes, owned two before this one.
PumpedUp   Weekend Warrior [Sep 12, 2010]
Strength:

Climbs like a goat. Frame is well constructed and very lightweight. Components are a good value for this price range and can be upgraded at your own pace. Everything works better then expected so I won't replace any parts unless I break or wear them out. Brakes work good in any conditions and have no problems stopping with my 6'1 210 lbs. bombing down the trails.

Pedals are worthless, seat takes a few rides to get used too. Grips will be the next upgrade. Maxxis Ridgeline tires are more for XC/road then trail/downhill.

This is a great all mountain bike at a great price. Climbs as well as bikes twice it's price and can take anything you throw at it. I've owned this bike 6+ months and could not be more pleased with it. Frame has a lifetime warrenty not to mention it's made here in USA. Cannondale makes great bikes and this falls right in line with them.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Rush, Stumpjumper
292beach   Weekend Warrior [Sep 04, 2009]
Strength:

Strong frame(made in USA), good to OK components at a good price. I've been riding it 2-3 times a week and haven't had any problems.

I got rid of the seat and pedals right away.

A great entry all-mountain bike for the price. I ride it as a XC bike but like the 5" of travel of the XX or expert trails. If I did it all over again I would get the Rize 4. I think you can get the Rize 5 at Eriks for $1500 now.

Similar Products Used: Test rode a bunch... This was the best for the price.
kenscannon   Weekend Warrior [Sep 03, 2009]
Strength:

Light weight,great components,great shock and fork for a heavy rider

Pedals and tires, should come with better trail tires unless you ride on pavment more the real mountain bike trails.Pedals look like something off a walmart bike not an top of the line mountain bike

Don't waste any money on a starter bike from walmart or dicksportinggoods or any chain store, go right to a real bike shop and buy a cannondale rize5 you will not regret it one bit. I would recommend this bike to anyone from a new rider to a seasoned vet

Similar Products Used: Cheap walmart NEXT mountain bike and a diamondback coil from dickssportinggoods
sausagedog   Cross Country Rider [Aug 31, 2009]
Strength:

ive had a few bikes shall we say,but never had a test ride on a cannondale(ive had 4) the feel is soo right.could have done with better spec but its not bought for that its the quality frame u buy.saying that the wheel set is strong ive abused it somewhat round the city of york if set up right its very good for street riding takes stairs with ease dropoffs etc.

main isue was the bottom braket was too short when i got it so couldnt get small ring so got new crank n bb sent out free as they hadput wrong one on.
i think its the spec that need changing.and rear lock out only slows down the rebound on the fox rear
shocks could be a bit longer travel why fit a 130mm fork when its got the 100mm set up on it.
rear lock out needed

bottom line is buy it,it climbs soo good and goes down even better.
next up for me is rear hope new wheels and a few more tweeks
carbon as much as i can.
ive had the raven x2 and v1000`s but this feels right everyone on here said ride it 1st but i took a chance like all the other dale`s ive had and it pulled off
i also tryed the moto to see what that was like and yes its the same feeling its like a glove fits just right.
iam 6ft1 and a large is just right with seat post quite high,dont look at a medium that will be far to small.

Similar Products Used: gary fisher sugar 4 not even in the same class
tryed marin but still didnt feel right
Hard Driver   Weekend Warrior [Jul 15, 2009]
Strength:

Great balance between plush suspension and efficiency.

Didn't like original tires. I like a shorter stem.

Great Bike, Good value. This bike climbs as well as my old NRS, which was a good climbing bike. Yet the additional suspension makes the rock gardens much smoother. Nice blend between a light efficient cross country bike with a 5" suspension and 68 degree head angle all-mountain bike for handling bombing down the serious trails. I am not reviewing the bike as a downhill bike, but as a trail bike, and as a trail bike, it hits the nail on the head. I am giving it 4 chilis, because I think the Rize 4 with the upgraded fork and rear shock would be better, so I have to leave a chili for the componants being slightly on the value side of the equation. But the bike then gets 5 chilis for value.