Cannondale Rize 4 All Mountain Full Suspension

The Rize is the Swiss Army knife of the trail bike world. It's a bike that brings all-new metalforming technology to the industry, and combines it with carbon-fiber fabrication techniques. It uses a dreamy-riding multi-pivot suspension with 130mm of balanced travel. The means that riders can use it as a do-it-all rig, whether you're riding notoriously gnarly rock gardens in the Northeast or the gently rolling foothills of the inter-mountain West.

outofdoors   Cross Country Rider [Oct 03, 2012]
Strength:

Climbs very well. Lots of travel for relatively light weight. Great suspension components.

Flexy rear, flexy wheels. Almost feels like too much travel for the frame's stiffness.

This bike has been great for the three years I've owned it. It climbs superbly for how much travel it has. The propedal really makes a difference with this suspension design and being able to lock out the fork for road climbs is great. There is lots of suspension for medium size drops and really rough sections of trail. The fox components are extremely adjustable and so far very durable. While the bike feels very stiff from a climbing perspective, when going through rough sections like rock gardens, you can feel the rear end getting tossed around quite a bit. I'm not sure if this flex is from chain or seat stays or from the linkage. The Hayes brakes have been adequate for my usage and only occasionally do I feel that I need more power. I would definitely buy this bike again as it allows me to tackle steeper and rougher riding as well as mellow cross country trails.

RBowles   Cross Country Rider [Aug 23, 2011]
Strength:

Climbs well, lighweight, good crank and shifters. Soaks up rocks and roots like they aren't there at all. All in all, a very elegant and nimle bike for the price.

Maxis ridgeline tires have no buisiness on this bike. The wtb wheelset is kind of iffy at best. I taco'd my rear wheel in less than three months of riding. (Replaced with stan's ztr arch's) Every few months I have to check the pivot bolts on the chainstay as they tend to loosen up from day after day of really hard riding. This is no big deal to me, and I consider it routine maintenance to check all fastners on my bikes every so often. One other area of not is the abbreviated cable housing to the rear deraileur. With this setup, shifting was very sticky. I replaced the cable set up with a good quality set and have experienced no more issues.

This bike is very good for the price. I have ridden it nearly four times a week since I brought it home. I ride pretty hard and some small components do fail in harsh conditions. This is no surprise to me, considering that I'm two hundred pounds and hammer the living hell out of this bike. If it were lost or stolen, I'd purchase another cannondale rize/rz 4 in a second!

gordo   Cross Country Rider [Jul 11, 2011]
Strength:

For the XL frame size and style of frame--with 4 inches of travel this is a light bike--on a professional scale, after adding heavier components to it my bike still weighs in at 29 lbs. I feel very little wasted energy--transfers my input well to the rear wheel and the Fox RP2 shock is great for that. Who needs a specialized "brain" or any other gadget when you have propedal? This bike just fit me right from the first ride and although it is heavier than my previous XC bike, it just performs better for me and gives me the versatility to get into more gnarly stuff with confidence and ease.

On steep, technical climbs the relaxed head tube angle can make it a challenge to wrangle but with the right touch it is totally manageable--in fact with the geometry of the frame, I can actually stand up and get on this bike in climbs that I would've had to sit down for on my old bike.

I got this as a late model clearance (2009) in an XL frame size--the 2011's are costing about 2200 to 2400 with very comparable components (upgraded, but not vastly improved) and very little change overall. I'm super happy with the value of this purchase and at first I thought that was as far as it went, but if I had to spend 600 bucks more for it I believe I would still have been happy with it. It does XC very well and it's got plenty of room for bigger stuff with 4 inches of travel--there have been some technical climbs and drops that I could never do with my older Trek Fuel XC bike that this does with ease

Similar Products Used: Trek Fuel EX8, Trek Remedy, (29 er XC's) Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Gary Fisher Rumble Fish, 2002 Trek Fuel 90
ZZrider54   Weekend Warrior [Feb 10, 2011]
Strength:

Good steering geometery,decent pedaling efficiency, made in USA, reasonalble weight for the travel.

Made in USA, quality issues from the start. The rear stay actually cracked at the pivot point a few weeks into it. Cheapo head set,pedals,seat the rear suspension seat stay pivot bolts continually fall out, and worst of all the support from Cdale sucks if you can call it support. They told the bike shop to put green loctite around the bearing to fix the bolt falling out. Really? How will that keep the bolt in? How will I change the bearing when it fails again? I replaced the rear suspension bolts and brgs several times including using a torque wrench and loctite blue. Still falls out. I am going to have to put a small bolt through both sides to keep it together. On an over 2k bike? Really? Also the fork leaks oil and the rear shock leaked too. Last Cdale for me. I ride alot and this doesn't get it.

Buy this bike if you like getting treated like crap by the manufacture. It took three weeks to get the bolts, I found the bearing locally myself at Helen's cycle. Way too much money for this. Too bad there is no resale value on a bike, otherwise I would move on.

Similar Products Used: Kona manomano, 9 years old, NEVER had a bad suspension bearing or bolt come off repeatedly.
Marin Attack trail
TwoHeadsBrewing   Weekend Warrior [Dec 13, 2010]
Strength:

Excellent bike for the money (2009 on closeout). Pretty light for a XC/trail bike, and enough travel to handle just about any trail conditions. Saddle is surprisingly comfortable!

Maxxis Ridgeline stock tires are for bike paths, this bike should come with Kenda Nevegal, Panaracer FireXC, etc.

Amazing bike even before closeout prices, the Fox suspension works great and the light weight of the bike makes for a great all around trail bike. Easy going on the climbs, confident longer travel on the downhills, and smooth shifting make it a hard to beat bike in the sub-$2k category. The tires chosen are ridiculous and should be swapped out right away unless you ride on smooth, dry paths almost exclusively. They ARE light, but you can find light knobby tires that will grip better in all conditions and terrain.

Similar Products Used: GF Aquila, Kona Dawg, Specialized FSRxc, Cliff 29er Pro
Stringmike   Cross Country Rider [Dec 10, 2010]
Strength:

Superb handling, great value. Bought as year-end close-out in 2009.

Tires not the best - switched to Panaracer

The geometry definitely suits me better than my old Rocky Mountain. I ride mostly sandy/dirt desert trails with some rocks and the occasional modest drops (three feet is about the limit for this old geezer!) I found my times on regular trails were noticeably quicker on the Rize than on my ten-year-old Rocky Mountain, mostly my downhill speeds have improved. The handling on skittery, sandy, rocky single track is definitely better.

It has proved very robust and reliable.

Similar Products Used: Previous bike was Rocky Mountain Element Race. Notable improvement in components in ten years!
Hobbes   Weekend Warrior [Oct 05, 2010]
Strength:

Flies over rocky/bumpy terrain, very stable, climbs well.

Some of the OEM parts are "cheap", like the cassete, saddle, tires, etc.

I was disappointed by the brakes, but got a 8' front rotor with an adapter and problem resolved! I also got a "lizard skin" for the chain stay, and the best upgrade of all was the gravity drop seatpost. The OEM tires are also crap.
After those upgrades, just need to find the correct suspension setup and you're done! It goes down like a rocket and it's also a good climber. Like all the DS bikes, i find it a little heavy, but it's worth!

wildwest   Weekend Warrior [Aug 22, 2010]
Strength:

Made in U.S.A., weight, suspension

stock weelset is flexy, trigger shifters

Maybe the best bike I've ever riden. I've been rideing a steele fram hardtail(rocky mt., blizzard) for 10. It was a great bike but, my god the rize is soo much better. I don't fall nearly as often. It climbs better & descends better. Pro pedal on for fire road climbs, off for the downhill. Techinical, rooty, rocky climbs, no problem.Changing to a stiffer wheelset, brought the bike to life. Made everything else work even better. It not a downhill or a park bike but, it'll do everything else.

Jim H.   Weekend Warrior [Jul 30, 2010]
Strength:

supple rear suspension design, nice fork, doesn't seem to bob a lot, feels solid, stiff, not flexy like ibis mojo, or yeti asr 5. (demo ride impressions only), simple, therefore, attractive, suspension design

tires were replaced on day 1, stoker ride (Hayes I think) are not the best but they work well, complete bike is not super light, guessing just under 30 lbs.

excellent all around ride. runs quiet, good bike for 2.3 or bigger tires, nice geometry, slacker than xc head angle and wide bars are made for steering with your body which is fun downhill, at first tune, enclose rear derailleur cable completely with cable housing for longer shifting life...otherwise water and dirt gunk up this cable.
solid bike that can run over rocks on the trail...supposedly a pretty good bike on the downhill steeps...don't ride much of this though. Highly recommended! ...mine is 130 rear, 140 fork...current design is 140 front and back I believe.

Similar Products Used: stumpjumper fsr 2006 is a little more uprightmore, santa cruz blur lt (original) creaky, not a santa cruz fan...like this cannondale suspension better than vpp.
brettdanger   Weekend Warrior [Jul 23, 2010]
Strength:

Lighter than the Trek Fuel, tons of travel

wheels and tires, squeeky hayes

I replace my 10 year old I-Drive and was looking for solid components and hope to get another 10 years. Made in USA vs Taiwanese treks was a selling point. This bike climbs great and is very stiff for the 5 inch travel it has.