Cannondale Prophet 800 All Mountain Full Suspension

• Frame: Prophet
  • Fork: Lefty Max TPC
  • Rims: Mavic XM117 Disc, 32 hole
  • Spokes: DT Champion
  • Tires: IRC Trail Bear, 26 x 2.25"
  • Pedals: Shimano PD-M520

Brian   All Mountain Rider [Jan 01, 2013]
Strength:

Adjustable geometry
Suspension, well balanced the the Lefty's great, too!

Components...over time... It's been nice to upgrade the parts as they've failed over time. I'm actually looking forward to getting some higher end brakes on there...but the Shimano LX disc brakes are still working great!

Great bike! I've put thousands of miles on it now, both in the US and Europe, and have really enjoyed the ride. I've upgraded the crankset and bottom bracket, installing a Race Face crank/bb. Also, I upgraded the front fork to the Air/Oil PBR cartridge, which provides lock out and greater adjustability for the ride, in both rebound dampening and fine tuning the spring. I replaced the rear shock, putting on a basic Fox Shock that included lock out. I like being able to lock out the front and back for times climbing or on the road. I had the wheels rebuilt with Stan's Arch rims, which are working great. I'd probably think about the Lefty capable Mavic wheels next, or perhaps the wheels from Project 321, which look nice.

Overall, I really like the adjustable geometry, allowing a certain feel on the climb, easily changable when it's time to descend. It was great to climb for a few hours in the Alps or on the Isle of Ischia, and when at the top, move the shock pin, slackening the geometry for the long descent home. When I do get a new bike, I'll definitely want one with adjustable geometry...the new Jekyll is an upgrade to the Prophet, as it alters the geometry with the flip of a switch and provides a different feel in the shock, too. That said, the Prophet is a Great bike!

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Jekyll (original, not the rebooted design)
Cannondale Super V FR
Cannondale F2000
Specialized Stumpjumper M2
Trevorg   Weekend Warrior [May 17, 2011]
Strength:

Lefty, plush ride, better climber than it should be.

Shifters and brakes

I have ridden this bike for over 5 years and thousands of kilometers. It has performed consistently with only minimal maintenance. I had the creaking issue and couldn't figure out where it was coming from so this year I replaced the bottom bracket and it's dead silent again. The suspension on this bike is very plush and gives all day comfort. The Lefty is amazing, better than any other shock I have ridden at absorbing the really small stuff yet great at soaking up the bigger hits. My rear shock is the stock Fox Float R which works well but bobs more than I would like when climbing. That being said this bike climbs way better than it should, even better than some bikes that allow you to lockout the suspension. The dual control shifters have lost some of their precision over the years so their performance is only okay. The LX brakes work consistently but can be overpowered and expect to burn through a set of pads every year with some noise in the process. It carves single track nicely but the long wheelbase sacrifies some agility but gives back great downhill stability. Jumps nicely and handles small and medium drops without issue. The upgrade to the Mavic CrossTrail wheels is well worth it as it livens up the bike as they are lighter than the stock Mavic 117. The frame has been strong as I have only needed to replace the shock bushings once. The swingarm design does seem to direct branches into the rear derailleur, I have broken 4 and 2 hanges so beware on messy trails. Overall this bike has been a great cross-country machine and handles some fast downhills and moderate hits without issue.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Jekyll, Scott Aspect 25
TrailTrev   Weekend Warrior [May 17, 2011]
Strength:

Plush suspension, stong frame, Lefty rocks, climbs way better than it should.

Shifting, braking

This bike has served me well for 5 years now and thousands of kilometers. The maintenance is minimal. I had some issues with creaking that I just couldn't figure out so this year I replaced the bottom bracket and now it's dead silent again. This bike bombs the downhills nicely. The Lefty is simply outstanding, it's amazing how it absorbs the little stuff and works great on bigger hits. The rear shock is just the stock Fox Float R so it has more bob when climbing than I would like yet it still climbs much better than it should. In fact it climbs better than other bikes I've ridden that you can completely lock-out the suspension. The dual control shifters are okay but they seem to have lost some of their precision over the years that no amount of adjusting seems to be able to fix so the shifting is only so-so. The LX brakes are okay but I go through at least a set of pads every season and they do get noisy. The swingarm design does seem to direct branches at the rear derailleur so beware on messy trails, I have broken at least 4 derailleurs and two hangers. Overall though this bike has been great, no issues with the frame, I replaced the shock bushings just last year but other than that everything else on the frame is still original. Swapping the stock Mavic 117 rims to the Mavic CrossTrails made a significant difference, made the bike more responsive and lighter. The Prophet makes a great riding companion as it goes where you point it and is super comfortable doing it. I recommend it to anyone who rides cross country and likes some fast downhills with some small to moderate jumps/drops.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Jeykll, Scott Aspect 25
crimsontime   Weekend Warrior [May 11, 2010]
Strength:

Lefty Fork, 5.5 inches of travel front and rear. Incredibly stable downhill, climbs well. Durable

Heavy

This bike easily holds its own with my friends' bikes costing thousands more. Compares well to Yeti 575, Santa Cruz Blur, Ibis. This bike has stood the test of time and durability and still after about 4 years of use I feel it slays the competition. The left fork is amazing, I would not trade it for any other design. The stability going down hill enables you to bomb hills with confidence. Climbing is efficient and the position is great. Frame geometry can be changed for more efficient free riding. Eats up Tahoe and Utah for breakfast. I have never had a mechanical failure of any component after hundreds and hundreds of miles of riding. I've had the shock overhauled for routine maintenance, several tuneups, and the brake pads replaced several times in 4 years that is all.

Similar Products Used: K2 Proflex, Specialized Rockhopper, Santa Cruz Superlight, Santa Cruz Blur, Yeti
Jdub   Cross Country Rider [Mar 07, 2010]
Strength:

Good for all around riding XC/Free ride

Swing Arm, Swing Arm, Swing Arm! Lefty.

I guess I was cursed from the moment I sat on this bike. I ordered the bike and the day I went to pick it up I sat on it in my local shop to take it home and the seat post snapped in the shop. I should have known right there and then. I would say 3 months later I started having a really bad annoying creak on the down stroke every time I pedaled. After taking my crank off 100 times and lubing the pivots of the rear suspension I was informed the Prophet frames had a flaw. I was told it was a crack in a weld and it was echo throughout the Alum frame. So I got the frame warrantied. Got a new frame. A moth later same thing. While I was riding on my local trail I passed another guy on a prophet his had THE SAME CREAK! I will never ride another Cannondale Mt again. GARBAGE!!

Similar Products Used: To many to list
fat tire love affair   Weekend Warrior [Dec 08, 2009]
Strength:

sturdy frame, ok stock components,lefty (yes i could be a lefty salesman,variable rear suspension geometry climbs like a schizophrenic mountain goat running from its thoughts,looks cool and feels very predictable on just about any terrain I've ridden it on. I would marry this bike if it would be recognized as a legal union.Oh and the single pivot is more than sufficiently engineered and has minimal pedal bob compared to other single pivots i have ridden.

I'ts not bright orange. some may consider it heavy but my motto is if it weighs too much you need to get stronger and stock shimano lx e type derailuer was problematic. upgraded to slx e type and have stopped beating my dog.

this bike is a great beginner to intermediate bike and a good one to continue to grow on, it has served me well and will continue to do so. It gets a regular beating and never lets me down. if your looking to spend a few dollars (around what i payed, it depends on your definition of a few dollars) on a quality bike that requires minimal maintenance and is just about bombproof then you may consider this one.for a nice ride on a lower to midrange budget this bike fits the description. iIgive the bike 5 chillis because when i think about it it is always a good memory.

Similar Products Used: cannondale super v 500, marin alpine trail fsr, trek hardtail, ironhorse maverick
vincent   Weekend Warrior [Nov 11, 2009]
Strength:

Lefty fork, low maintenance. garanty. Confort. Safety.

price much expensive in Spain compared to US prices.

Very good bike, makes you feel safe and confortable. Life garanty for frame. Never had problems, only to change brake pads and chain.

Similar Products Used: Trek fuel 80, 2006
mecano   Weekend Warrior [Apr 17, 2009]
Strength:

Suspension

Left Shifter

I looked around for almost a month to replace my trusty old ProFlex. I wanted something with the longest suspension travel without going to a full downhill bike. I also wanted reasonable weight and sturdy frame for XC and rocky downhills and without confusing locking suspension systems. The bike climbs like a mountain goat, I can now climb hills in taller gears, shifts great under power, the suspension on both ends works great it soaks up nasty stuff like nothing. The Lefty fork is the best! The bike loves to be abused, the faster you ride the better it responds. The wide handlebars felt weird at first but I love them now. "Ride it like you stole it"

Similar Products Used: ProFlex 896
joshk253   Weekend Warrior [Jan 15, 2009]
Strength:

It handles great, absorbs my mistakes on landings(nothing to big)It climbs like a bat outta hell, and descends like a sinner on their way to hell. Anyone that is looking for a good well rounded bike this is the one. Not for hard corp downhills and massive drops but a great trail bike.

I didn't like the stock grips but big f*%#ing deal

I love my bike, and even though the cost creatted some issues for my wife it was totally worth it!!!

Raymond   Weekend Warrior [Oct 01, 2008]
Strength:

great rear shock,light for 5.5 travel, handles well in most every thing except major downhill but is not intended for it anyway

none at this point

This was a free replacement for a cracked jekyll frame. I don't write in these things but this frame is that much better that if it helps someone to decide about one so be it. One guy had problems with chain stretch and apparantly ghosting, I actually have had none. The jekyll did often this frame does not even when I try to see if it will. It climbs better than the jekyll, not sure if it's the geometry or the rear shock but it is noticeble, better also than the rocky element. Quick handling and response for this much travel. Thanks to Cdale for keeping their warrantee and not giving the cheapest frame but rather the higher end shock RP23.