Cannondale Prophet 5 All Mountain Full Suspension

• Bottom Bracket: TruVatiV ISIS GigaPipe SL
  • Shifters: SRAM X-7 Trigger
  • Stem: Cannondale XC3 HeadShok, 31.8 mm

Matt Vogel   Cross Country Rider [Nov 14, 2016]
Strength:

Strengths, strong frame, very good balanced bike, lefty 140mm works great ( updates to a soft set-up on my XL frame)

not yet,

Bought it new at Mikes-Bikes in Berkley, CA in 2008. It´s a XL frame, but I changed the lefty fork from the factory XL set-up to the soft set up of the small frame. I´m tall, but not a heavy guy. The balance of the Prophet is great for me. Hydr. brakes may the better choise, but the cable´disc brake set up on the Prophet-5 does the job in cross country biking well, and they are easy & cheap to maintance or repair.
The Prophet-5 is not the lightest bike, I´m a couple years older now ( +55), so the next thing that I´m planning to chance is a E-Bike Conversion setfrom http://en.pendix.de/#home for 2017.
Pic of my Prophet:

Similar Products Used: I have a Jekyyl and two older Super V´s ( XL Frame, Lefty´s)
adamantane   [Mar 05, 2015]
Strength:

two different geometry setting at rear shock, can set up in xc or more freeride feel....1.5 headtube...strong frame

not as much rear tire clearance as would like...got rid of the lefty long ago, replaced with fox float air fork

oh i've had this bike for a long time now...i bought if in '08 although it is '07 model...what a great bike it has been all this time...i've ridin this bike in all conditions from simple xc to all mountain, to light DH to commuting and anything in between...i know the thing backwards and forwards all the bolt sizes, memorize all the wrenches etcetera...over this long period i've kept in the back of my mind that the frame will crack, but it never did and now it is 2015 that is a long haul in bike years i think...in fact bought another '06 model frame and just last year i picked up another frame because i kept thinking how good the bike it, and since i have all these parts for setting it up....

brian   Downhiller [May 07, 2011]
Strength:

FANTASTIC setup: i did a ton of research, kona, gary fisher, rocky mountain.. but couldn't find a bike with (1) better components and (2) looked as good for the money.

very very minor.. i ordered my frame in a small and the lefty was a little too sloppy (soft) for what i wanted out of the bike. (so i switched it with my friends medium frame lefty and its all good now)

LOVE IT, wish they still made it

Pablo Mac   Cross Country Rider [Aug 30, 2008]
Strength:

Stout frame, good components, the Lefty absolutely ROCKS, the single pivot suspension works great. This is the perfect bike for me for all-mountain, trail riding.

Not really a product weakness, but more of a user setup issue: I initially set the rear shock to 200psi to match my body weight (like on my previous bike), and suffered from too much rebound. I went OTB on a downhill and taco-ed my front wheel, and also banged up my knee (and ego). I took the air pressure down to about 180 and it is perfect. Figure the rear air at about 85-90% of your body weight, and you'll be all set.

I did my research and decided Made-In-USA is important to me (I'm a Veteran), and Cannondale's integrated system approach makes total sense to me (I'm also a Mac freak). I wound up taking a few weeks deciding between the Cannondale Rush and Prophet, and visited a Cannondale dealer twenty miles from home to ride both, but they couldn't get either bike in stock without me committing to buy one. Scott's Cycle in Salem OR (40 miles away) had both models in my size, so I rode both in one day (plus some other comparable models), and made my decision, which I am 100% happy with. Let me put it another way: If something happened to my Cannondale Prophet, I would not hesitate to get another one.

Similar Products Used: Kona King Kikapu, Fisher Supercaliber
tom eads   Cross Country Rider [May 20, 2007]
Strength:

climbs like a goat, flies downhill taking every punishing hit i can give. love the lefty front 6" of travel.

stock seat

awesome bike this is what i wanted since i saw it. first day i got it the guys at the bike shop went riding with us and i could drill them right off the get go.

Similar Products Used: trek 4300 gary fisher super caliper 29er
moshe oren   Weekend Warrior [Mar 26, 2007]
Strength:

light, cool, lefty, avid bb7, sram, taking every jump i hit, fast, great for the price

handle bar grips are little thin to my hands, but thats nothing

best bike i ever rode, took me some time before i went to all-mountain class , but i think the right choice, with this bikes you can do EVERYTHING!!!!

Similar Products Used: trek 830, trek 4300
Ben Ward   Weekend Warrior [May 16, 2007]
Strength:

Lefty, variable geometry and strong frame.

Maybe the brake levers, easy fix

No matter what I spend on a bike, I'm always told it is a good starter bike. Been at it a few years now and I can say that this is no "starter" bike. A solid frame and Lefty take me where I point them to go, the only thing holding me back on this thing is me. The top Prophet runs the same frame as the entry level Prophet, that says something about what this bike is made of. Lighter options? Yes. Faster options? You bet. But when it comes to the perfect "all mountain" bike for many, this has got to be it. I will eventually change more of the stock parts starting with the tires, the IRC Freedomcross Trailbears are a bit heavy and don't give me the grip I expected with their aggresive profile. There are plenty of other options to save weight and improve performance along the line as well. But even in stock form, this bike can perform. Being able to switch from XC to FR has its benefits as well, helps in those downhill romps after that tough climb up, which the Prophet handles both very well. Better than my hardtail for certain. If you want to ride exclusive XC, or aggresive freeride, try something else. If you want a rugged bike that you can run over tough terrain, cut through XC trails and get some air along the way, this is the bike for you.

Similar Products Used: First FS bike, just competent but not very elite hardtails.
Alan   Weekend Warrior [Apr 10, 2008]
Strength:

Nice balanced handling. Lefty is great. Nice BB height. Climbs well enough for what it is.

Paint is easily chipped and scratched. Component spec is great for the money, but ofcourse there are items that you will feel need to be replaced with higher spec items. I'll wait until I break them or they wear out. Again, for the price point it's a solid spec.

Awesome bike for the money. I really don't think there is another similairly spec'ed bike out there that can touch it. Handles great, looks great, no bob peddling, what more do you want.

nanker phelge   Weekend Warrior [Feb 16, 2008]
Strength:

avid bb-7's; drivetrain is smooth as butter; beautiful paint job - pictures don't do it justice.

wheelset seems somewhat cheap, no problems as yet, though; the jury's still out on the tires - will probably upgrade eventually; beautiful paint job seems easily marred - clearcoat is already scuffed up where bike sits in my rack.

WOW! I can't reccomend it enough as a great all around trail bike.

Similar Products Used: cheap department store bikes. this is my first real one.
nick   Cross Country Rider [Dec 18, 2007]
Strength:

plush, great geometry, lefty a revelation

none so far

Coming off a Giant trance which - while a pretty good xc bike - always felt like it wanted to throw me over the bars, this bike inspires so much confidence. Stuff that I used to shy away from I now go looking for. Super plush but still climbs like a goat - probably down a gear or so on the climbs compared to the Trance, but who cares when coming down the other side is so much more fun.

Relatively basic component set, but then I am not racing for world titles and they do the job well enough. They can be upgraded when they break/wear out.

I'd heard a lot about the lefty being a good thing, and was pleasantly surprised to fing that it really is. Stiff, tracks true, ans soaks up all I can throw at it.

It gets said a lot, but if you can only have one bike, give this one some really serious consideration.