Cannondale Prophet 2000 All Mountain Full Suspension

• Frame: Prophet
  • Fork: Lefty Max Carbon 140 SPV+ Ti
  • Rear: Shock Manitou Swinger 3-Way Air
  • Rims: Mavic CrossMax SL
  • Tires: Maxxis High Roller UST, 26 x 2.35"
  • Pedals: Shimano PD-M520

delphinis1   Cross Country Rider [Aug 28, 2009]
Strength:

Great all-round enduro/hard trail riding bike. Stiff frame and great travel for the weight of the frame. Location for water bottle screws are in a good location to set a plastic frame protector, from all the rocks that hit the frame on the downhill runs.

None as of yet.

A very good frame and setup as to what I have put it through so far.

Similar Products Used: I have not really tried any other bikes except all that I have custom built myself, so far this the best set up I have found for the riding I do.
GM   Cross Country Rider [Apr 07, 2006]
Strength:

Weigth, suspension, overall geometry, looks and feels great.

none found yet

Exchanged my Scalpel for this one and I am totally happy with it. Going uphill is a little more strain than with the Scalpel (at least before getting rid of some weight, bought it originally with Formula Extreme discs, which are way too heavy and powerful for my weight), but going down the hill is so much more fun! This baby eats any terrain I could throw at it and it feels completely controllable all the time. I didn't quite take the time to look for a different product to spend my money on, but I definately do not regret this investment.

Similar Products Used: Scalpel 1000
The Missile   Weekend Warrior [Apr 05, 2006]
Strength:

Versatility
Low weight for the amount suspension
Loves to bomb, Loves to climb
Bombproof construction
Cool colour (raw)
Rides great
Wheely - XM 819 rims are indestructible

Wind Titanium Rear Hub - explodes
Lefty - loses travel, needs resetting often
31mm cannondale handlebar stems unobtainable....
Dual shift XT - now who designed that ??
Maxxis Heavy Rollers as standard spec...WTF
Rear brake cable needs tieing down.

This bike is totally awesome and worth every penny. Also....I got mine cheap (35% less than having to buy it locally in Switzerlan).

1 minute to change to a downhill monster from a nimble mountain goat, which climbs anything and everything.
I had a Jekyll before. This just wipes the floor in comparison in all departments.

The main gripe I have is the lefty. When diallied in its awesome, but even after an 80aid refit, it still needs resetting after every second ride - it loses its small bump absorbtion. Nonetheless still a great fork.

Similar Products Used: Jekyll, Y22, Y33
Ron   Weekend Warrior [Mar 17, 2006]
Strength:

light, great climber, great descender, great all day comfort

i just love the bike

just a great all around bike. light and comfy with great climbing characteristics and always a smooth ride. I was unsure of the SPV valve setup on a single pivot but find it to work great. the SPV 140mm left is also a great plus.
enjoy the bike totally.

Similar Products Used: scalpel, F700
Tony   [Oct 21, 2005]
Strength:

Overall design. Suspension, combination of long travel and SPV make this bike a joy to ride anywhere. Components - cdale did a decent job hooking the 2000 up with a decent set of parts, I've only wanted to change a few. Cosmetics - this thing just looks cool - and it gets a lot of looks at the parking lot of your favorite trail!

1) Cable routing - had to have housings replaced twice in 6 months due to mud ingress.
2) Stock tires - this can really go either way, they work, handle well, suck up bumps, float across mud, and help you build strength - so they really aren't that bad if your just out riding around, but the flip side is they are slow and seem like a lot of rubber to haul around with you. If you want to ride fast with your buddies or race then consider getting a second pair, I'm keeping mine for "training"!
3) Water bottle mounting - yeah right, the bike doesn't have one! Well actually it does have one, but it's useless. Invest in a nice camelpack and forget about it.

This is an incredible riding bike. It's smooth as can be on any trail. The Lefty 140 can suck up some big hits without fear. It has multiple frame settings - FR/XC but it rides so well in XC mode I've never even considered changing it to FR, I may have to just to try it out! It climbs nice and the SPV seems to work really well. It handles great as well, fast switchbacks, tight uphill switchbacks - no problem! Great overall bike that can be made even better with just a few upgrades! Highly recommended after 6 months on Prophet!

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher Cake DLX
Specalized Stumpjumper
GT RTS2
Phil   Weekend Warrior [Oct 25, 2005]
Strength:

The bike has good all-around capabilities. It allows you to enjoy all aspects of mountain biking from fast single track and enduro events to downhill coarses & light free riding. The great thing about a 5inch travel bike like the prophet is that it can pretty much do everything. With a lifetime warranty on the frame, who cares about hitting the big drops & stunts with this bike. The lefty is a good performing front setup and incredibly stiff. Cannondale service has been good here in Australia.

single pivot design relys on SPV for pedaling plateform, therefore setup takes some time to find the sweet spot. At the end of the day, it is still pretty poor in the small bumb absorption department. Also, the sweetspot changes for different riding conditions. It sometimes gets to be a pain in the neck to change from XC to FR, and then change the shock air pressure & rebound accordingly. Freeride setting makes bottom bracket to low resulting in crank arm punishment and pedal destruction. Dual controls are better off on 4 inch XC bikes. You end up either shifting or braking by accident sometimes on rough terrain. Stem is way long and angle to steep, bars too narrow, tires are slow, quick release on set post poor. Finally, that rear hub is a piece of crap. It lasted me one month and I was in a remote area when it blew. -- bummer!

The bike is way improved with a few extras. It is probably not worth the extra for the 2000 over the 1000 as you can save the extra money and spend it on making the 1000 perfect.

Bottom line... Great bike for the price and does everything.

Similar Products Used: santa cruz heckler, Whyte 46, specialized enduro, Giant Reign
Mike   Weekend Warrior [Dec 25, 2006]
Strength:

Impressively light for a bike with 5.5" of travel, well balanced suspension, nimble and quick steering, excellent climber, durable spec, very comfortable.

The XT brakes squeal when wet but have amazing modulation and power. When the pads wear out, I will search out a different compound. The Maxxis High Rollers are crappy tires for the terrain I ride.

I got an excellent deal on a new bike that was a year old (2005 model). The bike has an excellent cross country feel to it. It isn't a free-ride bike; it is not stable enough or stong enough. It took a little while to find the perfect balance of shock pressure and SPV pressure in the Swinger 3way. But once I found it, it turned out to be the same as what Cannondale recommends! I did find that initially I needed less air in the shock as it was almost a bit sticky or tight. After a couple of rides the shock became nicely broken in and is very smooth.
I never thought that the Lefty was a good idea but I am now a believer! The fork feels stiffer that the Marzocchi Z1 FR SL on my Norco and it weighs about 2 pounds less.
The XT dual control is different but works perfectly fine and I have had no problems with it.
As my bike is setup it weighs close to 27 pounds for a size large. I would buy another Prohpet 2000 in a heart beat. The 1000's spec isn't as good as the 2000's, but the 4000 is a lot more money for parts that aren't really that much better.
I had strongly considered buying a Rush instead but there was very little weight difference between the two. The extra travel doesn't seem to make it any less efficient. I do think that the bottom bracket on the Rush is too low for the riding here BC.

Similar Products Used: I test rode most other bikes in its class
Clifton   Weekend Warrior [Jan 20, 2006]
Strength:

Most versatile bike I've ridden! Climbs to the top and bombs down. Excellent specs.

Stock stem is long and seat post clamp is weak.

Excellent value. Excellent all around bike for the trailrider who isn't interested in cross country racing but still a valid choice for marathon events (24 hr racing etc.).

Similar Products Used: Specialized Stumpjumper 120, Specialized Enduro
Chris Man   [Aug 06, 2005]
Strength:

Weight to strength/regity ratio, price performance (at least $1000 less than anything near its weight at five inches), Cannondale service/maintenance - lefty is an advantage and also a weakness. It is very difficult to find a bike that can do what this bike does w/o having to gain 3lbs... and you'll have a fork that is not as laterally stiff. Its a very strong overall package. I wone a super D race on it and can take 4 foot drops pretty well. Anything larger and I feel is too much for suspension and if you land wrong can start to tweak things.

Chain stay length is my biggest issue. This is a personal preference thing, but I would like a more swoopy ride experience thats easier to manual back to the rear wheel. The other thing is that I've net been able to tune my lefty to have the plushness I would like for some situations. I am 177lbs and put in the lightest spring and its still too stiff for general XC riding. Now when speeds get higher and drops and things come into play its perfect. I would like the ability to adjust and wish it was air spring like the lefty on my old jeckyl.

very solid performer. Pretty much impossible to find a bike this light with this much travel and this rigid... and the price is like at least 1000 lower than other similar bikes.