Canfield Brothers The One All Mountain Full Suspension

The One is the light 7-8” travel Enduro frame that does it all. Perfect climbing in both front chain-rings. Deep enough travel to downhill anything you dare! Smooth braking, 8mm and 20mm bearings with custom axles.

lifer   [Jan 03, 2014]
Strength:

Awesome frame. I agree with all the positives here. Got a new V10 for Christmas, so my like new medium One is for sale on Pinkbike: http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1489280/

Pedals unbelievably well for its travel.

James H   [Nov 26, 2013]
Strength:

Not much else to say that hasn't already been said - very well-made beautiful frame, climbs really well, KILLS the DHs, decent (but not ideal) for XC, extremely confidence-inspiring, very fun, impeccable customer service etc...

A little heavy, but this is a trade-off for the exceptional stiffness. A touch skittish on fast rough fire roads, but the shock may not have been properly dialed, nor was it completely broken in. Not suitable for trials (haha)

After a 5 year hiatus from DH riding in the mountains I decided to get back into it and fixed up my Ellsworth Joker... which was promptly stolen. I had a short list of a few frames to replace it - Banshee Rune, Transition TR-250 and a distant 3rd the Canfield Brothers One - too much travel, too heavy, too expensive were my reasonings. Keep in mind I could only afford one good bike and I had to use it for DH, XC and commuting. But then I did some research... after reading every review I could find, including those here, I decided I should take a closer look at the Canfield offering so I phoned them up and it was all over! Sean, their main sales guy was so helpful, friendly and enthusiastic about the One I was nearly sold and then he told me he could give me a discount to help offset the cost of my stolen frame and I really was sold. After receiving the frame promptly, I built it up in two days and was off to Golden BC for 3 days of riding. Wow!!! Riding kicking horse was eye-opener about how much difference a good bike can make to your confidence, speed and ultimately fun. This thing was like a rocket on rails, especially when it got steep and bermy. Also, you can just pick it up and place it down - it is very controllable. A telling anecdote - on Day 3 we went to ride at Mount 7, six years since i had ridden here last and only 2 days in after 5 years without any DH riding... and I knocked 10 minuted off my previous fastest time from years before when I was at the peak of my riding abilities (on an Ellsworth Joker). Another few days were spent in lovely Nelson, riding their fine trails and as the Cane Creek shock broke in and I dialed it in further, the ride just got better and better. When I returned home to flat Saskatoon, where our XC trails are decent but require lots of steep short climbs and quick handling, I threw on some light tires and hit the trails. I won't say it was ideal for these trails but it way outperformed my Joker, climbed everything without a problem and was still a blast to ride. Overall, this bike truly is the Bike to have if you just want one. Truly amazing on the downhills but still great for XC riding and everything in between. Add great customer service and it gets my highest recommendation.

abrahamfroham   [Mar 23, 2013]
Strength:

Versatility; the brothers hit it out of the park with a bike that is amazingly versatile. Huge pivots and bearings, great lines, fantastic climbing and descending, stable and low cornering, geometry (excluding head tube length) is spot on, and most of all, IT COMES IN AN XL SIZE!!! A real XL size (18in reach) vs. other manufacturers that call a L an XL.

None so far. I have only used this bike as a trail ride-able DH bike, so can't comment on its performance on the more pure trail aspect. I would suspect the short headtube on the XL would be an issue with a 160mm fork, putting tall guys like myself too low at the handlebars.

I have this bike built up as a downhill bike that I don't have to shuttle. Marz 888, coil rear, DH tires and wheelset, but a two ring crankset. I wanted a bike that I wouldn't have to hike around with to get to the toughest trails, but would still ride like a DH bike once I got there. This is exactly what this bike accomplishes. Also, I didn't want to have a bike hanging in my garage that was limited to shuttle or lift days (7-8 days a year?). Amazingly, even with the DH parts, I can climb the steepest sections of trail that are normally reserved for my XC bike. Don't get me wrong, I am slower climbing those sections given the weight of the bike (how I have it set up), but the way the rear suspension works and keeps you in the top part of travel, I don't have front end lift or wandering problems, even with a Marzocchi 888 double crown fork.

After a year of riding, the bike is squeak and creak free, and is holding up perfectly well.

In my view, the best candidate for this bike is someone that will be riding very steep, fast, and gnarly trails and will use the capability built into the frame. If I were riding more "regular" trails, something from the major manufacturers described as "all mountain" (such as Pivot Firebird, Ibis Mojo HD, etc) would probably be okay. But understand that this is a burley built bike intended to handle some really nasty trails and is more a step towards the DH spectrum when compared to the all mountain genre.

It looks like it can also be built up towards 30lbs, but I haven't done that and can't comment on the capability with that set up.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Demo 8, Pivot Firebird
treebasher   Weekend Warrior [Jan 22, 2013]
Strength:

The odd combination of supreme XC-like pedalling platform with stiff, burly FR confidence and slack/low DH-able geometry. Rear stiffness has been improved for 2012 model. There is no thought that a jump/drop might be too big for this bike, yet I've also sought technical climb sections just because this bike can do them. Fit and finish is excellent, and the linkage/pivot design is simple and clean (don't know why MTBR is still using that outdated frame pic). Adjustable travel (7-8") is great too, although if you're like me, you'll try them both out initially then stick with one setting.
Customer service from the guys is flawless - I was hesitant to deal with an on-line company, but quickly found out that their responses and actions are immediate. The wide range of shock choices is a great added touch.

I don't really have any, but no one trusts a perfect review... So, I'll say that the BB and HA are a little too low and slack with a 180mm fork in the 7" rear-travel mode. However, one creak-free Angleset later and it's perfect. Note that the 8" travel setting will steepen the HA and raise the BB.

I'm posting this review only because there hasn't been a recent post! The previous reviews are still valid, although the 'flexy rear' mentioned in an earlier review is not an issue with the newer frames. I'm a 200-lb aggressive hack and have been on the search for ONE good bike that I can beat at Whistler, then use on my local AM trails (without dreading the climbs). I was sceptical that I could use this bike for the nasty stuff (I have a tendency to occasionally land sideways and often pick the roughest line) given the 68mm BB and 142mm rear, but I've been amazed at how much stronger this bike feels than other AM offerings. The uphill part still continues to impress me (making me appear much fitter than I am). Thoroughly impressed!

Similar Products Used: Knolly V-tach and Delirium, Intense Uzzi, Trek Fuel, Sp. Enduro plus many DH bikes
daynegrant   Downhiller [Nov 01, 2011]
Strength:

Everything! Stiff, super fast and controlled, slack, plush, plush, climbing exceeds every expectation. I can't say enough about this bike. It outdoes any other bike I've ever tried.

If you love climbing, but love downhill and free-ride this is the bike! That doesn't even do it justice. If you love xc/all-mountain, get it; if you love free-ride get it; if you love downhill get it.
The ride is unique and hard to describe. There are lots of amazing bikes out there that preform great in their category, but none that I know of that spans the whole spectrum and preforms so well in every situation. This bike is expensive, but worth every penny. For the person that rides more xc style, there are so many misconceptions about bigger travel bikes. This bike slaughters every smaller travel bike on the market. It also is faster and out preforms every downhill bike I've rode.
If there are any disadvantages for a xc/all-mountain rider like a little lower bb those melt away as soon as the trail flattens out. Even though you don't have to push this bike up hill and it climbs great, if you did have to push it for hours, none of that will ever matter as soon as you are going downhill. Amazing! I haven't been able to wipe the smile off my face since the first five minutes I was on it.
This may sound like an exaggeration, but it really isn't. I would hold it against any bike out there. And say it is superior.

Similar Products Used: rocky mountain flatline, kona operator, demo 8
zsilet   Weekend Warrior [Apr 01, 2011]
Strength:

No bob, climbs better than my 05 Reign, drops like a feather, soaks up everything in sight. Sloping top tube gives great clearance. Chris Canfield is a great guy to deal with.

Seat tube only takes 6" of post, fork will ding downtube (although the guys at Canfield provide an Acros BlockLock to mitigate). Some 2.35 tires will rub in the rear (Geax seems to ride particularly tall). None of this has dampened my enthusiasm.

Of all the bikes I've owned / ridden / demoed, I haven't found any that I would trade this one for. I'm sure that there are better bikes out there, but given the money I paid, this thing blows away what I've tried from the competition. If you're looking for a good AM frame, go for this one. Even at 36 pounds, it feels lightweight and nimble, and can master any technical climbs in my area. Point it downhill, and with 8 inches of supple coil spring travel, it eats logs / roots / boulders. It is simply an amazing ride.

Similar Products Used: 05 Reign for 5 years, Demoed 2010 Reign / Reign X, Specialized SX Trail, Enduro, GT Sanction, Ruckus.
Tim Barrett Jr   Cross Country Rider [Mar 28, 2010]
Strength:

Stiff linkage, endless feel travel, short chain stays.

Fork doesn't clear downtube, a bit hard to assemble

Super plush rear travel. Along with the minimal bob design of the linkage, the travel really feels endless. The bike pedals really well uphill and in a straight line as well. I found the low bottom bracket height had me bashing pedals but after getting used to it, the lower height made for better cornering. The frame is pretty light so it doesn't feel like a burly freeride or dh rig but sure does ride over rough stuff like one. The top caps of my fork have hit the down tube once and left a small nick in the paint. No biggy. Canfield sent out a sweet Block lock headset to remedy this. Once my new 36 type fork comes in, the headset will go on. Chris Canfield gave great customer care and returned emails, calls immediately. I think the new model fixes the downtube thing. This bike is sure fun to ride. It looks cool too.

Similar Products Used: Santa Cruz Bullit
ridefree213   Weekend Warrior [Nov 21, 2009]
Strength:

Solid 7-8" travel bike that pedals like a 5-6" travel bike. Only 35 pounds and 8" of travel.

The fork will hit the frame without the right set up.

This is a sick bike! Pedals amazingly well, way better than any other 8" bike i have ever ridden, and descends even better. This would be an excellent freeride or all mountain bike although the setup I rode was a little heavy for my all mountain taste. If you want a bike that can throw down in the freeride arena while still being able to pedal really well I highly recommend looking at the Canfield One!

Similar Products Used: Enduro Pro, Reign 2, Demo 8, Stinky Deelux, RM7, Banshee Scream
Ratt   Weekend Warrior [May 16, 2009]
Strength:

Lite, long travel, Rocco WC air, Maxle rear, neutral pedalling, won't see another One on the trail.

tire clearance, some flex, does not clear single crown forks without help, no 1.5 headtube, short top tube for a "pedalling" frame, bare cable runs hit the frame in spots, front derailleur mount will not allow for a triple ring or a bashguard bigger than a 32t

I'm a crosscountry guy moving up so when I say 'flex' I don't feel it coming off jumps (small) but more when powering up hills or off camber turns. Was at Gooseberry Mesa last week and the back end felt flexy when powering up the short rock climbs.

My bike setups are usually very soft with a divey fork, so I am used to a lot of brake dive. The rearend on this frame extends under braking, that combined with my fork setup really scared me on my first panic stop. Its not that bad but I think that combined with my fork setup made it worse.

This frame has been out for over a year so they come up cheap on the used bike market (its how i got mine) and at 'used' prices I think this frame is a good deal but at full pop I would probably look at the Uzzi vp or Yeti Seven which should be more refined products.

At 7 lbs this is not a burly FR frame, I'd put in the long travel AM bike range. My bike with SLX budget build is under 35 lbs. If you spend $$ I'm sure the bike can be built to 30 lbs or less

Cameron   Racer [May 22, 2008]
Strength:

It's hard to explain how this bike rides, it's waaay different than other bikes I've been on. The suspension works beautifully. It pedals great, there is no need what so ever for a platform shock. There is no bob, and it stays active while pedaling. I'm running a Rocco Air WC shock for most riding, and a Fox DHX coil with the Push factory tune for resort riding. It doen't do anything funky under braking, if anything, it may stiffen ever so slightly. When it comes time to point it down, this thing rips! The center of gravity is noticeably low, The "DH" sizing is short, and the suspension is uber plush. It rails coners like my Blur 4x did, and can hang with the best full blown DH rigs in the rough.

I do have a couple things I would like to see changed. The seat tube is still a bit slack for me. the top tube is a little short, I had to switch to a 70mm stem instead of a 50mm. And the fit and finish isn't quite up to par with some of the other high end builders, mainly the ano and welds aren't as pretty as my ellsworth was. The tire clearance isn't that great either. A 2.5 maxxis clears, a 2.5 Nevegal doesn't.

To sum things up, the other players out there are going to have to step it up a notch to compete against this bike. yes, it really is that good. There are better DH bikes out there, and there are better XC bikes out there, but no one has yet to build a bike that blends the two of them together as well as this one does.