BMC Superstroke All Mountain Full Suspension

• Saddle: Selle Italia C2
  • Crankset: FSA K-Force Carbon, 175 mm
  • Handlebar: Easton EA70 Monkey Bar, 635 mm

James Hoyle   All Mountain Rider [Jul 31, 2012]
Strength:

Solid, efficient climber. Strong, controlled and bottomless descender.

Not really a weakness, but slightly too much squat early in the suspension travel if riding very rocky terrain. About 2 - 3 pounds heavier compared to the current crop of > $4000.00 All-Mountain bikes, but that is to be expected.

Fantastic and well-balanced all-around fun bike. The frame is made of aircraft-quality 7000 series aluminum so you never have to worry about it breaking, this frame features dw-link style suspension which allows for efficient climbing coupled with mind-blowing downhill control. If you aren't into masochistic burns up the hill, and live for tearing it up on the descent, then this bike is for you. My first ride on this bike, while flying downhill, I accidentally let the bike get off-line and I rode down into a dry, rock-strewn creek bed. I thought for sure that I was dead, but I pushed off the back of the saddle and the bike sucked it all up without any drama. There is a lot to be said for high-quality, well-designed suspension as well as a burly and rigid front and rear triangle. We don't need no stinking tapered head tube! Or rear thru-axle for that matter! This bike does not flex and twist like every other mountain bike that I have owned in the past. It really does inspire confidence. As most of the reviews have noted, this synergy of stout frame and rear triangle, good geometry, well designed bob-free and seemingly 'bottomless' suspension as well as a complimentary build kit allow this bike to 'hug the ground' when bombing downhill and tearing through corners. It also pops off of lips and airs out in a very balanced and controllable manner. One mandatory component on any bike this capable is a dropper style seat post. I have fitted the bike with a KS DropZone seat post with a remote release and topped it with a Forte Team leather saddle with titanium rails. Pedal with the seat-up for comfort and efficiency, then thumb the remote seat post release on the left handlebar grip and bomb down that short, rocky chute with the saddle a full five inches lower. Makes for much safer and enjoyable riding when you have the option to drop for descent and raise for the sprint. The rear suspension of the bike can also be adjusted to have 125mm (five inches) of travel, although I have never run it that way, and I can't imagine why anyone would want less travel.

Similar Products Used: Jamis XLT 3.0,
tath   Weekend Warrior [Sep 24, 2011]
Strength:

Solid, neat design, great pedaling ability, cheap

can be a bit heavy, but for my weight (90kg) i find it perfect, thanks to detailed design it is hard to fully clean it without disassembling

Because i cant have two different bikes for XC and AM/FR I ended up building enduro bike based on this frame. So far - it was great choice!

I find it really good, for both long XC rides (after 30 miles i didnt feel any discomfort) and some (light) freeride.
But this frame really shine for my favourite type of riding - AM (long uphills and fast downhills)!

Adding up the price which is about $400 for brand new frame - now that's good deal!

Similar Products Used: this is my 1st full suspension frame
JASON   Cross Country Rider [Mar 12, 2011]
Strength:

I BOUGHT THIS FRAME WHEN MY CAKE FINALLY BIT THE DUST. IT LOOKED ROBUST AND THE PRICE WAS RIGHT. WHAT A PLEASANT SURPRISE IT HAS BEEN. EVERYONE COMPLAINS THAT ITS SO HEAVY BUT MY SET-UP IS JUST UNDER 30 LBS. ITS A VERY PREDICTABLE FRAME ON THE DOWNHILLS AND IT CLIMBS REMARKABLY WELL. NONE OF THE CONSTANT SUSPENSION CREAKING AND RATTLING I'M USED TO. YOU WILL NOT LOSE TRACTION IF YOU SIT DOWN AND CRANK UP THE HILLS. I'M VERY IMPRESSED AND AMAZED THAT THEY DID NOT CONTINUE THIS PRODUCT. ALSO IF YOU LIKE TO RIDE SOMETHING DIFFERENT FROM EVERYBODY ELSE THIS IS IT. IN THREE YEARS I HAVENT SEEN ANOTHER.

COCKPIT IS A LITTLE BIT CLOSE IF YOUR TALL. A SET BACK SEAT POST SOLVES THAT PROBLEM THOUGH.

THIS IS NOT THE LIGHTEST FRAME IN THE WORLD GRANTED. ESPECIALLY BY TODAYS STANDARDS BUT IF YOUR NOT A WEIGHT WEENIE AND YOU WANT A BIKE THAT WILL TAKE SOME SERIOUS ABUSE THIS IS NOT A BAD WAY TO GO.
THE BOTTOM LINE IS IF (THAT'S A BIG IF) YOU CAN FIND ONE OF THESE AND YOUR IN THE MARKET,BUY IT. YOU WONT BE DISAPPOINTED.

Similar Products Used: FISHER CAKE (YEAH, I RODE IT A LONG LONG TIME)
mogligirl   Weekend Warrior [Jan 07, 2011]
Strength:

The design is fantastic. APS is truly advanced. 6 inches of travel via this dual link system is better than 7 inches on a single-pivot. Beautiful lines and tube shapes. Plush, plush ride. Indestrucible. Gobbles gnarly trails. Stable and predictable at speed. Can take anything you throw at it. Ready to devour, but also itching to fly: "please fly me!"

As a bonus, its VERY Pedal-able!!

Don't like the orange color. Want more standover height (but really a non-issue)

TONS of performance for the money. Honestly, the nomad is a bit more sveldt, but only a bit. Diminishing returns definitely kicks in--you pay $1,000 and see a 5% improvement. The suspension design is ahead of its time--its like VPP--just smart. If you can find one and the price is right, YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH THIS BIKE!!

P.S. The trianglular top tube is beautiful, and the little cut-out at the seat tube junction is not only eye-catching; its proven to be super strong. No need to freak out about it. And I understand that seat tube quick-releases are available from BMC if that really bugs you.

Similar Products Used: blur ltc, maverick ML8, santa cruz nomad
combrig   Weekend Warrior [Jun 27, 2010]
Strength:

Very stiff and light frame. Excelent behaviour when pedaling, yet very responsive on the way down the hill. Nothing cannot lift the bike off the ground if you do not so... Extremely stable on rough and very rough terrain, all this combined with excelent geometry.

1. You cannot use 350/400mm seatpost on this frame, or if you do so, you cannot put it all into the frame because the seattube tightens a little bit after 300mm depth.
2. Rear QR... You have to completely disassemble the QR mechanism to remove the rear wheel, but I've had a problem with loosen QR while riding, so I am not sure if this is really a wekness.
3. Spare parts - well, the bike seems strong enough to last thousands of kilometers, but... if something is broken I am not quite sure if I will be able to replace it... I contacted BMC (great customer support, by the way...) and they assured me, that they have spare parts. Well, I hope they really do.
4. Rear triangle design, combined with lower 2-bolt linkage allows to stones to stuck in the gape between these 2 components. I do not even notice till the end of the ride, but... it is a little bit dissapointing to look there after each ride.

Excelent frame. I am very, very happy with it and I will not change it 'till it cracks under me.The "problem" with the spare parts can be easily fixed with a little more than average brain capacity and good mechanic with appropriate machines, even for less money than you would spent ordering the spare parts over internet. The other weaknesses are really miserable compared to the strenghts and the riding feeling this frame provides. I will definately strongly reccomend this frame to anyone who wants really very high-end quality on average bike price.

Similar Products Used: None. Every other frame with such a qualities costs 2-3 times this one.
tgphilly   Cross Country Rider [Oct 20, 2009]
Strength:

Beefy, tight like a tiger, climbs great(easier than my klein hard-tail) great frame finish/paint job, plush ride

like another reviewer wrote, the parts are going to be a problem. the two-piece bolt in between the bottom bracket area, which connects the shock to the frame is constantly coming loose and have to retighten after each ride.

I'm a 140 pound 6 ft vegetarian and I love how heavy this bike is, I couldn't even tell you how much it weighs. I need a heavy bike to hold me down, hard tails kick me out of my seat. anyway, it climbs incredibly well. I have never once use the granny gear yet for this bike. butter smmootthh going downhill, steering could be a lil' tighter. Just buy it if you can find one!

Similar Products Used: none, first XC/DH bike owned and lovin it.
panzer103   Weekend Warrior [Aug 22, 2009]
Strength:

Strong and burly, different, and I like the color- orange and silver in my case. Nice fit and finish.

Heavy. The frame is like nine pounds! Limited spare parts available thats going to be the biggest problem Im having.

I bought this frame because it is so strong. I’m a heavier rider (over weight not fat, mind you) and I wanted something that wouldn’t break on me. Mission accomplished. It rides nice and climes okay, just okay. Its great on downhill’s as you would guess. I’m actually converting it to a light duty downhiller sort of thing because it would serve its personality better.
My biggest concern is the availability of parts. Slim pickn’s my friends. I contacted BMC for the the thru-axle dropouts (if anyone has any I will pay top dollar for them) but they informed me that they sold all they're Superstroke stuff to Jenson USA, so they have nothing. This lack of parts didn’t seem to be a problem a year or so ago when I bought this frame but now it is. Yeah, its stressing me out some.
I am under the impression that there is a licensing issue of the rear suspension and thats why there isn’t tons of 'em out there. I don’t give a hoot about that, the rear end works great.
Knowing what I know now would I have gotten this again? Mmmm, maybe. Functionally it works just fine but i don’t know about the parts

Drewdog28   Weekend Warrior [May 06, 2009]
Strength:

VPS is good for clydes offering additional stiffness and control at speed. Good value. Enduro machine for dudes who like to make motorcycle noises on their rides.

High top tube... Actually looks OK if when you're sitting on it and weigh over 2bills and are 6'3" But we'll see how that Gravity Dropper works way up there - will it be low enough?

Tippin the scales at nearly 34lbs it ain't light and you can feel it going up especially those long fireroad climbs. Just enough bump compliance going up to take the edge off and save your prostate.

Pointing back down the trail is where it shines as any AM bike should. Very stable at speed and likes to fly through the air. Very happy with the ride and for the dough it's a very worthy candidate for an agressive AM build. Not sure how easy it would be to get down to 30lbs... I have a large and don't think you should be overly concerned about shaving the extra lbs off your bike if you're in this 6/6 travel category. Maybe a 5/5 trailbike would suit you better Covert, BLT2, Pitch... (Waiting for the day a durable 6/6 weighs 28lbs, shifts under pedal pressure... aren't we all.) The BMC SS is more moto/enduro inspired and if that's what you're looking for, then hook it up before it's too late.

Similar Products Used: Giant AC1, plenty of demos - Konas, Norcos, Specialized, etc.
Nexeo   Weekend Warrior [Feb 15, 2009]
Strength:

Great frame, light for an all mountain frame, 6" of rear travel, came with Fox RP2 rear shock, strong frame, climbs like a mountain goat with propedal on,

A little heavy overall, no other complaints so far!

This is a fantastic all mountain frame, paired with the right fork and other components this is easily a high end mountain bike. It climbs like a pro and descends even better. I was cautious about purchasing this frame at first because of some of the reviews I read, but after purchasing this frame and building it for myself I have found that it is a great frame, very strong and well designed.

Similar Products Used: Other full suspension bikes.
philb_bmc   Weekend Warrior [Sep 22, 2008]
Strength:

Built tough and reasonably light (reasonably). Very nice geometry and absolutely blows through the big, rocky rough stuff at speed. Confidence inspiring at speed. Not too bad pedaling up, the VPS gives it a *tonne* of traction in the really brutal technical climbing.

It's a little heavy (it's a strength and weakness), the top linkage that actuates the shock is a little bulky and over engineered. Other than that, none.

I spent ages looking at what bike to buy, eventually I decided to build one. I looked at various frames such as the Dabomb Cheery Bomb, etc then saw that Jenson are offering the 2008 model of these frames cheap so after doing some research decided to bite the bullet and purchase it.

I'm 6'4 and weigh abt 110kgs (~215lbs), I prefer going down fast than going up, but seem to speed a hell of a lot of time going up anyway :).

Three months on, a couple of hundred hard k's of single track up and down, one three hour XC race and I'm glad I bought it.

First off, these fall into the all mountain category but realistically are quite bit more freeride/downhill oriented than cross country. It'll climb for sure and I spend 90% of any ride climbing but you can feel the weight going up. Fully built mine's about 16 kilos, you could probably knock 2-3 kilos off with lighter components and rims, but I was more interested in strength.

Thankfully it climbs gracefully. Sure and steady does the trick and making sure you know when to pedal hard and when to just relax and not waste your energy goes along way on this bike. It doesn't respond well to random bursts of rapid pedaling, rather, building momentum and holding it gets it up the mountain with less effort. While climbing the rear suspension works beautifully and with Propedal on it's what I used to wish for when I was riding my hardtail; just enough movement to soak up the rocks and roots on a hard steep long climb, but not so much that it gets annoying and sucks all your power away.

One thing that did amaze me is the amount of traction you have when climbing. These have a VPS system, and when your really in a pinch, down to granny gear, struggling to keep the front wheel touching the ground on the steepest rocky loose surface, lungs busting and two steps till the top it's a nice feeling that with each stroke of the pedals you can feel it jamming the back wheel into the ground hard. Sections that I used to not a have chance on I can climb through without drama now.

When you finally reach the top is when the fun begins on the Superstroke. Reach down and flick that Propedal off and the suspension goes from being quick and solid to soft and plush. Push off the edge and be ready this thing *flies*. It comes into its own on slightly open highspeed tracks, (it'll handle a tough DH track in a pinch for reference). Going down and it's like a completely different bike than the one you were riding ten minutes ago when climbing, smooth, confidence inspiring and absolutely rock solid in it's lines. Obstacles and sections that I used to have to slowdown and pick my way through I now bomb through at full speed. I love the feeling of the suspension working hard, hitting big jumps at full speed with total control. You can get nice and far back over the suspension when dropping fast through rock gardens which inspires confidence. That's how good the rear is suspension is, you feel like, it doesn't matter how out of control you are as long as you keep the front light the rear will soak up whatever comes along. A dangerous attitude but you can't help thinking that after riding it!

It steers a little slow through tight switchbacks and tight 180degree berms, it's not a harley by any means but it's not twitchy. This is of course the reason that at high speed it feels quite stable and lets you carve the sweetest lines you could imagine.

A perfect example of this bikes place in the XC, AM, FR spectrum could be seen in the recent 3 hour I competed in. The XC bikes were passing me on the climbs, not totally dominating, but generally I was working harder, but once the track sped up a bit and started to go down, they were working like crazy just to stay on and I was just cruising, recovering from the climb and keeping up and re-passing many of them with no problems (to their annoyance I'm sure).

So in conclusion, if you don't mind putting in a bit of extra work climbing for a huge reward when going down the BMC is for you. If you love bombing down the tough stuff, hitting big solid jumps on the way down and just mucking around a bit, but like too climb as well don't fret buying it...it doesn't take long to build up the leg muscles. :)

Similar Products Used: Giant Yukon hardtail with 'Zocchi Bombers and a bunch of aftermarket gear.