Banshee Bikes Rune All Mountain Full Suspension

Banshee Bikes Rune All Mountain Full Suspension

For allThoseThat dareTo see what’s onThe other side ofThe mountain.The RUNE was made forThe weekend adventurerTo exploreThe back country. EscapeThe madness ofThe city and urban sprawl and returnTo nature. Restore your inner peace and goToThe places most people will never see! Frame Specifications: SIZES SMALL, MEDIUM, LARGE, EXTRA LARGE TRAVEL 6" 1.5 HEADTUBE STRENGTH AND VERSATILITYTO USE ZERO STACK OR ADJUSTABLE HEADANGLE CUPS HYDROFORMED 7005 ALTUBES GUSSETING

[Jun 20, 2013]
George V.
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Outstanding performance, smooth, DH fast as hell, good for climbing, Cane Creek Double Barrel, Geometry, 3 angle setting.

None so far

This is the best bike I ever had and ride. It goes fast uphill and specialy downhill. I felt confortable from the first day because of it's geometry. The most important thing is that brings a lots of fun when i'm riding. Great bike, maybe one of the best out there.

Santa Cruz Nomad, IH 7 Point, Haro Werx,

[Mar 11, 2013]
00frontier00

Strength:

Smooth, Fast and is an outstanding machine to accomplish anything the trail can throw at you.

If you have no issue's with weekly and just general maintenance on your bike there is none.

Third bike I have owned. First was a GT Hardtail. Second a Cannondale Rush and the Rune is my third. I have taken this bike on all day epics, fast DH, slow tech DH (trials type), brutal climbs and have zero complaints. I purchased the frame and shock second hand and it still looks amazing and performs like new. I'm 5'9", 160lbs and ride a Lrg. The bike is totally flickable and track perfect with my riding style. I highly recommend this frame for a genuine "do it all" bike!

[Jul 15, 2012]
yeti4ever
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

good price compared to other all-mountain rigs; single track and downhill killer; light frame/light build; rear suspension has no bobbing at all; beautiful anodized black finish; beautiful frame design.

Top-tube is too short for me; rear pivots have to be maintained regularly.

I've had this frame since 2010, but only recently rode it hard and regularly for the last six months. The trail that I regularly ride at have several creek crossings, so just recently, I took the rear pivots apart for maintenance. The axle was bone dry, no grease at all; but the bushings and axle were like brand spanking new! I replaced the bushings anyways, and greased up the pivots. From here on out, I'm just gonna grease it regularly as I figure that my body weight (frame S) does not impact the bushings like a large framed rider would. So far, I have no play or wear on my rear triangle. In terms of ride, this frame rocks. Very stable on downhills and it's quick and ride full of confidence on technical single track. Frame is very durable and hardy. My only gripe is that rear pivots have to be regularly greased (which I will do from here on out); and the bushings are plastic. Can't Banshee design a better pivot system that is maintenance free?or at least maintain 1x a year or several years or so. I would recommend a potential buyer to buy a version 2 of this frame if it ever comes out. Heard lots of people having rear pivot problems due to the plastic bushings; but mine was ok, and I didn't maintain it for the last 2 years! and overall, the price won't break you as other all-mountain rigs do. Also, I got a $50 ELKA suspension discount for owning a Banshee! Great company, fabulous bike. Banshee replies to all my emails. Hope that the Banshee boys will redesign the pivots to make them maintenance and worry free. Overall, this bike has been good to me.

[May 03, 2012]
Randomness
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Very stiff, looks great, anodized frame is pretty durable, great warranty, pedals well, downhills well, perfect for laps of Fromme Mountain on the North Shore!

Had to make use of the warranty with a tweaked rear triangle that was putting massive undue wear on the pivots and bushings. But i got a brand new frame from the next years model over the winter... so it's all good! didn't miss a single day of riding

I can't give this bike maximum flamin chillis just because i don't believe in perfection on earth, but this bike is really amazing! I've been riding it for the last year, getting almost 100 days on the bike. I put this thing through a looot of abuse too. More than it was designed for, but it still holds strong (props to my DHX-Air also). I've been off of 5m+ size drops on it, and as long as you land decently smooth, the frame will take the beat down.
I mostly ride the North Shore of British Columbia, meaning i pedal up, and ride down, as well as hit the whistler bike park. This bike is so much fun! It's light and really flickable, yet really stiff. It doesn't have the travel or small bump absorption of a DH rig, but for what it is, I really can't complain! I can keep up with the big boys, and especially get up the hill quicker when there are no lifts or shuttles to be seen!
My bike is setup more on the freeride side of things with a beefy build and Fox 36 Van RC2 180mm fork on the front, raking out the front end a bit, meaning it's worse on the climbs. This bike likes to pedal up, but it much prefers the front wheel being pointed downhill. It's smooth and very balanced off of jumps, and in corners. It's a little chattery over rocky sections, but again, this isn't meant to be a DH bike.
As for the bad, there isn't a whole lot. if you want a tough do-it-all bike, then i would recommend this one to you every time. Build it right and it will do anything you want it to happily!

[Sep 11, 2011]
bmbass
Downhiller

Strength:

Super stiff rear end, extremely capable climber, lightweight, very supple suspension. DW-esce link performs very well, no pedal bob on climbs, nor any brake jack descending

Only weakness so far I've noticed, as easy as they've made it to re-lubricate the pivots, the self-lubricating bushings do tend to push out grease during use which collects dust/dirt. Pretty simple fix though, just wipe it down after rides.

Most fun bike I've had to date. Coming from a Knolly Delirium the bike feels like a super light XC bike on climbs, however it still handles the chunk and descends much like you would expect from a "long travel" trail bike. Allows me to ride longer and harder without getting fatigued, and for that I love it. Super nimble, both on the ground and in the air, but still allows you to settle into the suspension and plow through some rough sections. Tracks impeccably and remains playful and responsive the entire time. Also exceeded my expectations on the limited freeride trails I've ridden. Mechanically it is extremely well built, beautiful welds, very easy to maintain, proper cable routing. No complaints whatsoever in the build quality. In my opinion the ultimate do-it-all bike, as many have already stated.

Orange Five, Morewood Ndiza, Transition Covert, most recently Knolly Delirium-T

[Sep 18, 2010]
RIfreeDE

Strength:

This bike is strong, stiff and rigid. It has little to no flex with a 10mm thru axle out back. Cable routing is good and allows for wire to be 100% shielded from the elements. 1.5 Head Tube. Stability.

Decals (they wear easily), ICSG tabs are not usable for anything other than a single ring up front (can use a tensioner then), I was told SRAM's Hammerschmidt was not engineered to run on this platform.

This bike climbs fairly well, don't expect it to be the best climber but it climbs well enough to keep up with the crowd. This bike excels on the slalom single tracks and downhills. On the technical, drop filled downhills nobody can keep up. This bike shreds the downhill like no other bike I have sat on. The bikes strength lie in its strength. The frame is so stiff yet plush. The CCDB helps with the bumps and the Van upfront makes this bike rediculous.

This frame has given me absolutely no problems. I grease the bushings every so often and watch the old grease squirt out. I do occassionaly have to tighten up the pivots as they come slightly less than tight every 20 or so rides.

This bike made me a Banshee customer for life!

Intense 6.6, Titus, Santa Cruz,Specialized

[Sep 17, 2010]
mkrp1976

Strength:

This is a great looking frame, it rides fantastically and it really is a do it all bike. Its downhill abilty is fantastic and can really show up full on downhill rigs but it also climbs like a mounatin goat, the rear suspension actually gets pulled into the ground when clibing giving great traction. Its also a great feeling having a unique bike on the trail rather than the usual run of the mill bikes so it certainly turns some heads. The service you get from Freeborn the sole uk importers is also excellent and they come highly recommended.

BUSHINGS!!Why this frame uses bushing is beyond me, the back end would run up and down so smoothly with bearings. One of my bushings broke on my 1st ride and also my friend has a rune and has had a load of problems with his bushings and play in the rear end of his bike. The bushings are also an absolute nightmare to get out especially in the main big pivots! Every other manufacturer uses bearings so why are banshee going againt proven technology? They tried bushing on the legend and they weren't working so they opted for bearings on the final product so why should the rune be any different?? I have actually had three of these frames, the 1st one had a problem with the rear suspension and was replaced under warranty and the second I bent on an impact with a tree (my fault not banshee's) and the third a wasnt happy with the quality of the anodising near the head tube so I sold it in the end. Very good bike they just need to sort the bushing and quality issues, I have to be honest and say that I wouldn't buy another.

Great frame for its riding qualities but has other issues!

Giant, charge, dmr, trek session

[Jun 02, 2010]
boomforeal

Strength:

looks sick
stiff
strong
shreds the gnar and keeps me rolling

white paint gets dirty

i bought this bike without knowing a tonne about it simply because it was too good a deal to pass up. i knew banshee's rep as a progressive company with good knowledge of my local riding (the shore) and a reputation for outstanding customer support. i'd read a forum post by the engineer that the rune was "designed for the shore" and as the deal was sweet and my current bike wasn't cutting it, i pulled the trigger.

my favorite type of riding is rolling, tight xc singletrack, but there's not much of that to be found locally. most of my riding is on the north shore and this bike is perfectly suited to the terrain. not sure if its the 1.5" head tube, upgrading to a through axle hub or the os stem and bars, but the front end is insanely stiff, just plows through the chunder allowing me to keep my speed up and my eyes 15 feet ahead. the back end is similarly stiff, railing through rocky corners without a hint of flex or deflection. i was worried about the height of the bb but the bike settles into its travel and feels stable and maneuverable while still providing lots of clearance. this is my first "mini link" suspension frame - coming from a horst link bike the suspension seems a bit less active but that's mostly a plus, no need for propedal on long climbs and lots of cush on the descents.

i replaced the bushings over the winter - took a bit of figuring out but there's good information on the banshee web site and blog and after a few emails back and forth with the engineer (and outstanding help from north shore bikes shop) and about $10 in parts the linkage was fully overhauled using a slot screwdriver and the palms of my hands - incredible! i had the buy $50 worth of bearings and hardware and $70 worth of tools to replace the bearings on my norco, not to mention deal with the idiots at the company who mis-spec'd their replacement bearing kits.

one thing i've really come to appreciate since buying and learning about the rune's design is how prescient keith at banshee is in his design. the bushings hold up well in one of the most demanding riding climates on earth. and his designs push the envelope only to have their logic confirmed as other companies mimic them. for example, the new cove g-spot, just released, copies the rune's geometry to a t - and this is a company that has made its reputation on the shore. the spitfire has spawned a host of slack hta/steep sta trail bikes. unreal

BOTTOM LINE i don't think i could be any happier with my rune. for the terrain i get/have to ride 90% of the time it is simply perfect. and the fact that a 3 year old design is being spawning carbon copies that are just being released means she won't be obsolete any time soon - and she certainly isn't going to break!

norco fluid?

[May 14, 2010]
iqgiant

Strength:

Going fast, pushing my limits, landing stuff I might not otherwise. Seems solid, but still light. Full length housing is nice.

Paint job is lacking, I would have preferred the Ano. Also the rear shock spacer seems to be one that isn't quite stock, and took some work to find.

I am very stoked about my purchase, though not super far in. I have what I call the "Bakken touch," like the Midas touch, except everything I touch turns to broken. So I wanted something closer to a freeride bike, that was going to see mostly trail riding. I looked at all the usual suspects: Nomad, Slayer, Reign X, Uzzi, and decided that the Rune packed the best mix.

It inauguration was a 5 day Moab/Fruita assualt where we put it through the ringer. 2 Porcupine shuttles loosened up the pivots, and it performed beautifully. I had no problem keeping pace with my brother on his brand new Yeti 303RDH on the downhill, and easily pedaled while he walked.

I did a tons of biking jumping/BMX as a kid but got away from it in college and/or the last ten years so it is something to say that I felt confident rolling over everything that is on the trail without a second thought.

Did a bunch of trail rides also, and she climbs great. I took it to Deer Creek Canyon outside Denver last week, and it has a great rocky part that I enjoyed riding by three people walking their 4" bikes down. I will take the added weight anyday.

None really, this is my first mountain bike of choice since I was a kid.

[Mar 31, 2010]
egginsoup

Strength:

Stiff, solid frame.
Great pedalling efficiency.
Versatile and capable of lots of different riding.

Some pedal feedback in certain circumstances.

I first became interested in the Rune because I wanted a do-it-all bike but had become disillusioned with the "all-mountain" classification, most seeming to be nothing more than XC bikes with a bit more travel bolted on. I'd previously owned a popular all mountain bike from a big manufacturer that I'd badly damaged within two weeks of owning and after 6 months of riding I'd pretty much killed it. A crappy customer service experience steered me away from the big manufacturers and I'd decided that I'd rather give my money to a smaller company that's actively involved in (and is passionate about) riding bikes. Enter Banshee and the Rune.

Even before I bought the frame I was really impressed with Banshee, Keith always replied to my questions quickly and offered helpful advice when needed. He's a friendly, down to earth bloke who clearly loves what he's doing. The same can be said for the lads at Freeborn UK, they ride the bikes they sell and offer excellent advice. I ordered the frame with a DHX 5 Coil and it was with me the next morning.

The thing that stands out to me most about the Rune is just how versatile it is. My original plan was use a short stem, coil shock and heavy duty wheelset for downhill/freeride then swap out to a longer stem, air shock and XC wheelset for long rides, however I've found that I don't need the latter. Yes, the bike is heavier but I only really notice the extra weight when riding long uphill slogs and even then it's not a concern. In fact I can now make it up steep, technical ascents that previously had me pushing after losing traction. In my opinion the excellent pedaling efficiency negates the extra weight and the Rune is actually really good at getting up hills.

Running at between 20% and 25% sag the pedal platform is fantastic. Even with propedal completely off, very little energy is wasted on pedal bob. Sprinting out of the saddle results in an instant burst of speed and you get a really nice feeling that all your precious energy is being converted into forward momentum. Similarly, rail through berms and you feel "connected" to the bike, you're not wasting energy in having to muscle the bike around and it all feels really natural. The super stiff rear end makes rider input feel instant. All this converts into going faster, which is good! Moving up to around 30% sag and you lose some of that pedaling efficiency but you gain more small bump compliance and the travel feels slightly more plush (plushier?). The Rune pops out of jumps and is really flickable in the air, whipping the back end around feels really easy. In short, the Rune feels fast and agile both on and off the ground.

A few really minor issues but worth mentioning. Buying a grease gun in the UK to fit in the grease ports was a pain in the arse. Most mini grease guns have a nozzle that is too wide to fit in the hole, I tried an Ixus gun which is a pretty common design and it doesn't fit. I had to buy a Manitou/Dualco grease gun from CRC and source a long needle nozzle separately because the standard nozzle isn't long enough to reach the zerk port.

There is noticeable pedal feedback when standing and pedaling in the granny ring with sag above 25%. To me, this is a none issue because if I'm running 30% sag then it's usually because I'm riding downhill and therefore not using the granny ring. Running around 20% sag with a 26t granny ring pretty much eliminates the issue and there's no pedal feedback when sat down.

The suspension can take some time to get setup correctly especially as the bushings need to be broken in. Some people might view this as been an issue if they expect to be able to get the best performance out of the box. Personally, I quite enjoyed tweaking the suspension and it helped me to familiarise myself with the design. About 10 hours worth of riding had the bushings running beautifully.

In the past 2 weeks I've ridden technical downhill in the pouring rain, a 4 hour cross country ride, 3 days at a local jump spot and my first uplift all on the same bike with only a change in tyres and spring weight. At the uplift I had people comment on how fast the bike was for a "little" bike and some were genuinely surprised at how capable it was. Riders on 9" travel downhill bikes were moving out of the way to let me past, there is something really satisfying about that and it put a massive grin on my face. I'm really happy with how well the Rune has performed with everything that I've thrown at it so far, it makes me want to get out and ride.

Now a side effect of all this varied riding is that I'm meeting and riding with loads of new people, this is fueling my progression and I'm having an absolute blast. You could argue that this would happen with any bike but the Rune is confidence inspiring in a way that I've never felt with any other bike, it's like a devil on your shoulder telling you to go faster, hit those jumps, rail those berms. Because you can.

Trek Remedy