Banshee Bikes Pyre All Mountain Full Suspension

In the new world of suspension designs, the new Banshee Pyre is the state of the art in virtual pivot “all mountain” suspension systems. This bike rips up high speed bike parks, grooves tight twisty single track and has more climbing traction than a hardtail. The Pyre’s custom triple butted ½ RAD tube set is light enough for marathon racing and the hydro formed down tube with its integral gusset is strong enough for all mountain freeriding with forks up to 6”. The 3 major pivots run on heat treated stainless steel axles and sealed high strength needle bearings for durability.

Trekbro   Downhiller [Oct 13, 2009]
Strength:

very versatile frame, I use it for light DH, light freeride, dirt jumping, and XC race, very strong and responsive it rides like a hardtail but the suspension is there to save you when you need it

none yet

best bike I ever had, I can do everything but real rough DH, I raced in XC, Dual Slalom, super D, and use it for the local dirt jumps, it handles real good, the frame I'm using is medium, i"m 5'8", for freeride I use a 55ATA and trough axle wheels.

Similar Products Used: Transition Covert, Banshee Rune, Banshee Wildcard, Transition Bottlerocket
c4miles   Weekend Warrior [Jul 19, 2009]
Strength:

Accepts everything I've thrown at it without complaint.
Mercury finish is just beautiful.

Purely cosmetic: paint is susceptible to scratches, but I have zippers on the legs of my bike shorts.
Seattube junction looks a little klunky and seattube is interrupted, but the design and welds are sound and well-constructed.

This is an 07 pyre, bought in 08 just before the design was forked to the burlier Rune and the current XC-ish Pyre.

I'm a heavy guy, 230lbs, and this is a bike I'll happily take straight from an XC slog to the gnar of the North Shore trails in a single day. I've been riding here for about 3 years, and I still feel kind of spoiled by how this bike deals with whatever I throw at it; I've never had any indication that any problems I've had have been anything but rider error.

Climbing is forgiving, but with huge grip and good communication with the terrain; downhill is confidence-inspiring and just feels capable.

Basically, for a big heavy rider, I can't think of anything more I'd want from a trail/AM bike frame.

Similar Products Used: Nothing directly comparable.
boone   Downhiller [Jun 22, 2009]
Strength:

Lateral stiffness of the rear triangle, active suspension while braking hard, very nimble, excellent climbing characteristics, low COG, nice low BB, TT and seat tube.

REAR TIRE CLEARANCE!! Bottom out is hard to set just right. Still have not found the correct bottom out setting on mine. Seems to ramp up way to fast and hard. Paint chips REALLY easily. Harder top coat maybe necessary?

Overall this is THE funnest bike I have ever owned. It has been through hell and back with me an never seems to give me any troubles. It has taken 8 hour epics and been bottomed off of a 4 ft to flat drop (Yes this is a XC bike and I know I'm not suppose to do that).
For long XC rides I add a longer stem and adjust the seat height and position and away we go. I have passed so many people on rough tech climbs with this thing. I am often baffled how I make it up things sometimes!
The frame is very stiff and combined with a low COG, this bike just begs to be ridden hard. I really feel that it is more of a DHers XC bike that a "regular" XC bike. With a shorter stem and slackend HA, this is one VERY fun trail bike. I ride this bike for just about everything, even DH races! (All but the nastiest ones...Legend is for those!)
If you are looking for a shorter travel XC/AM bike that will take a serious beating and LOVE it, this bike is for you. If you are a weight weenie looking for the next fastest thing to beat your buddies to the top of that 11 mile gravel road with a steep twitchy HA...well you get the idea. Buy one. rip it. be happy!

Similar Products Used: Turner 5 spot, giant reign, turner rfx, turner 6 pack, turner 5 pack, santa cruz heckler.
ronoranina   Cross Country Rider [Apr 20, 2009]
Strength:

.. has a solid suspension design that soaks up bumbs while virtually eliminating sqauat on fire roads and climbs = 0 need for propedal or platform. the 4.5 inches of travel you get with this frame feels like more when you touch down after launching off of something. it is also predictable in the air. the odd weird landing is soaked up with ease.. frame feels really balanced, is stiff laterally, and quiet with little chain slap and absolutely no creaks.

the PYRE can be leaned into turns confidently and carves single track superbly. it begs to be ridden faster and when you ablige it does so in a stable manner.

the frame comes faced at bb and headset, and the white powdercoat has been reasonably durable. it also uses bushings, which are cheaper than bearings, and i think better suited to this application based on what i've read... do your own research and i think you will agree. the PYRE also comes with an extra derailleur hanger and a few extra bushings. they even included a seatpost, which i put on the wife's old hardtail.

i really haven't found any. i often wonder why it is not more widely heralded or commented on. i think it is loads better than my old 06 reign for the type of riding i do, as it should be, and somewhat better in some areas in general. but that is for another discusion.

this is a bike that i will keep for atleast a few riding seasons. i can not find fault with it and when i compare it to bikes from more expense manufactures like turner, knolly etc, i can not find enough reason to part with it for another one of the so-called "boutique" brands now or any time soon.

For a 4.5 inches travel trail bike it really handles the DH well. the stability it has rivals that of my old reign, and that's saying alot considering it's a lighter frame that has an inch and half less travel, as well as different geometry. It also goes up well. this is welcomed as I enjoy, and do plenty of climbing.

I think the suspension on this bike is a jewel. VF4B as it is called is similar to MAESTRO and DW LINK in its characteristics. without getting into all of the technical explanations about why this is (which abound on this website and can be found quite easily), i'll just say it works just as well as the MAESTRO suspension design, which i've ridden personally, and liked quite a bit.

overall, this so far has been a durable frame. I ride it like a rode my REIGN (aggresively on trails - no freeriding) and it has held up admirably. if your looking for a bike that climbs and descends equally as well, this is one that is often overlooked but definitely should be considered.

Similar Products Used: i had a reign but i think the two bikes belong in different categories and thus are not similar, other than the fact they are both mountain bikes.
LIGHT   Cross Country Rider [Sep 13, 2008]
Strength:

Looks good, stiff and should be strong. Climbs well with no noticealbe bob. It can even take the odd drop and jump.

Could be a little lighter frame.

After years of riding long travel, 40 lb shore bikes it is great to have quick light bike to ride all the same trails and know it will still work at the end of the day.

Similar Products Used: Rocky ETS-X
MartinS   Weekend Warrior [Aug 09, 2008]
Strength:

This is for the 08 Pyre, so it is a bit more XC oriented than the previous version, and has 4.5" of travel as opposed to 5.5".
So far the bike has been great, it is very stiff torsionally - almost as stiff as my Nomad. There have been no creaks, the new bushing system (similar to Turner) feels smooth and the grease gun system is simple and sharply designed, the cable routing is nice. The frame is well finished with the head tube, bb, and seat tube all faced and chased. Banshee also supplies you with a spare derailleur hangar, extra shock hardware, and extra pivot bushings - they obviously want to keep you riding!
Also of note is exceptional chainring clearance, chainsuck should be almost impossible, and tire clearance is also very good.
Being a Banshee it goes downhill really well, often forget I'm on a XC/Trail bike. Overall handling is very good even with my 140mm fork - it was designed around a 120mm fork which would probably be a better choice for most terrain. It climbs respectably well too, would do better with a 120mm fork though, but that was my choice and for the area that I live I made the right choice.

Honestly so far I can't think of much. Water bottle cage mounts would be nice to have for epic rides when you want both energy drinks as well as water. The frame is probably heavier than something like a SC Blur XC or Moto Lite but it is also most likely more reliable and being a bigger guy I personally don't mind. Currently my build is a bit under 30lbs with no weight weenie stuff, I could easily drop another pound with minimal effort.
One issue that is being addressed is with the valving on the rear X3 shock, I'm missing about .3" of the stroke. This isn't an issue with the RP23 equipped versions though.

I really like it, I've been describing it as a Blur XC for clydes and those who want a solid performing trail bike that is easy to maintain. It handles really well, it is fairly nimble for an XL frame and it goes where you point it, helped by the through axle Minute Elite fork. I've put a fair amount of miles on it so far and even with the 'not quite tuned' rear shock it's been great, no issues regarding the frame what so ever, and the travel that I am getting is smooth and controlled. I will update once I get the newer valving done, if there is a noticeable change in performance but so far so good!!

Similar Products Used: Blur Classic, Blur LT, RM ETS-X, Titus Moto-lite, GT I-Drive of some sort, Kona Kikapu
Eric   Weekend Warrior [Jun 25, 2008]
Strength:

Very agile and quick on tight, fast singletrack, no pedal bob, tough as nails, it's a BANSHEE.

None yet...

I have only had it a short time and ridden it a few times on fast flowy singletrack with roots and small drops, but it has far exceeded my expectations. I have been a die-hard Hardtail rider since birth (not counting freeriding at DIABLO). I think the best hardtail $ can buy is Banshee's Scirocco (unless you are an XC-racing weight weenie, like I was in my former life). Anyway, I decided to give FS a shot when a great deal on a PYRE fell into my lap. The frame is beautiful, a work of art macde with pride and love. I am not a fan of Canadians, but this BC-born beauty is fast becoming a great companion. I was reluctant to make the switch to FS because I thought it would kill my climbing skills and my out-of-the-saddle hammering speed. I have tried a few other FS bikes but did not feel comfortable. I felt comfortable on this from the first minute. I am 6'1" and 195 pounds- the LARGE is perfect for me. I fear that I may not be riding my Scirocco anymore. The PYRE is rock solid, no creaks or play in the suspension and I am sure it can take way more abuse than I can give it on any NJ trails... could even be a decent lift service park bike with a beefy fork and wheels. Love it. Even at full retial price, it is sweet and cheaper than comparable "big-name" rides that are probably welded by some 9-year-old kid in Cambodia.
5 Flaming turds from me, all day, every day. Boo-YAH.

Similar Products Used: Banshee Scirocco, Santa Cruz Blur LT & 4X, Transition Bottlerocket, Transition Dirtbag, Transition Preston
Andy Wilson   Cross Country Rider [Feb 27, 2007]
Strength:

Amazing Climber, and great suspensions performance... it's like it isn't there until you need it, I never notice any pedal bob and it absorbs bumbs way better than other bikes I have ridden. Great geometry. Best customer service in the industry that I have ever come across.

The Best bike I have ever ridden for all day epic rides from super tech steeps to flowy single track.

Similar Products Used: Giant Reign and trance, Iron Horse Hollowpoint Mk III, Specialised Enduro and S-works
Jeff   Racer [Jul 28, 2006]
Strength:

Frame construction, welds, and color, Stiff, and the suspension is a work of art.

Buy this bike they know what they are doing and build a remarkable product.