Waltworks Frame 29er Hardtail

custom steel frames

andyjensen   Cross Country Rider [Sep 16, 2010]
Strength:

Custom made quality and fit. Great individualized service. The best riding bike I have ever owned.

Was maybe a little heavier than I wanted (29# on the nose) but I never think about this or notice this when I'm moving - so it is a moot point of contention. Bit of a wait, but Walt is steady and delivered more or less when he said he would.

Walt is an excellent bike builder. He knows his business and makes a bike that handles, rides, climbs, and do everything else you want your bike to do incredibly well. I have a steel full suspension, with the brilliant Ventana rear end. Man, Ventana deserves my praise here as well - their design is infallible, stiff, quiet, smooth, carefree. I see why so many custom builders are willing to put their names on a bike with Ventana's parts. I really wanted a rigid bike, but I'm getting old and a buddy said I needed a FS set-up. I listened, and I'm glad. The bike looks great - great build quality, and all the parts went on cleanly and fit perfectly. I have the frame mounted front derailer - great performance. The bike is just flawless, one I will keep forever. Far exceeded my hopes - I had my doubts that any FS bike would make me content, but this bike just nailed it. Great value because I ride with a big smile on a bike I'm proud to own, and one I will keep until I fall off my rocker. Walt and steel have convinced me that a custom FS bike, or rigid for that manner, is a great way to go. My next bike will be another Walt, no question.

Similar Products Used: I guess I've owned a dozen bikes: Moots 29'r YBB, Turner Sultan, Willits Townie, Santa Cruz Blur, more all top notch builds
Stephen Lynch   Cross Country Rider [Aug 14, 2007]
Strength:

PERFECT fit, reasonably light (esp since i cheeped on components), climbs like a champ and handles easily and confidently. great fun to open up and just let run on the dh, too. this guy (walt) knows what he's doing.

None come to mind.

Walt is keen on getting anyone interested on a bike that they will enjoy for the money they can afford. His emphasis is on getting the frame and fork just right for rider build and style, and this is something he's VERY good at. Lots of interaction in the building process. Friendly, funny, and all those things -- most importantly very knowledgeable and capable, and flexible. Check out his blog: waltworks.blogspot.com for an entertaining and educational look into his frame building and racing.

My basis for comparison might lack some, but suffice it to say that every time I ride this bike I enjoy it more. It almost gives the impression that the bike is learning how I ride ... spooky cool.

i wouldn't discourage anyone from getting one of these bikes. if you can't afford it just yet, hold off on buying a lesser bike and save those pennies till you can.

Similar Products Used: This is my first 29er, AND my first custom bike. honestly don't see needing another one, except maybe to go single-speed or something.
Ed   Cross Country Rider [Mar 17, 2006]
Strength:

It works.

None.

Changed my riding life! Thank you Walt.

Similar Products Used: semi-similar but not life-altering - Seven Sola, steel, geared, Fox fork, 26".
Isaac   Cross Country Rider [Feb 19, 2006]
Strength:

Let's see. Everything. Climbs well. Handles well. Fun to go through the whole ordering process.

Nothing really. Maybe could use a nicer headbadge?

I'm not really sure that custom frames should be listed here. If they don't fit perfect and ride great, then there is a problem. My frame looks great, climbs great, handles great etc. etc. In fact I blew through a couple of cassettes last spring/summer I was riding so much so decided that I'd try singlespeeding. Well. I am now considering sending the frame in to get horizontal dropouts or something.

Walt is a pleasure to do business with. He is very quick to respond to whatever dumb question you have. Sense of humor. Can weld like a banshee. Forward thinking. I'd buy another frame from him in the future (though why would I need another one?).

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher 29er (nice but not steel), various smaller wheeled bikes (nice but not a 29er)
keith   Cross Country Rider [Aug 08, 2006]
Strength:

Light, fast, strong, and resposive. Best handling bike yet. Perfect fit. Walt has great customer service and a nice warrenty.

Some of the powdercoat was removed on the inside of the chainstays from a muddy ride this winter. A little clear nail polish keeps the pitting and corrosion away.

This is the best fitting and best handling bicycle I have had yet, but this is the first custom fabricated bicycle I own. Walt has clean welds, proportional tubing to my weight and riding, no fancy flare to this frame.
I was initially interested in having a Nor Cal fabricator build a 29er singlespeed for me, but after talking to a handful of builders I realized they were out of budget. Basically, Walt built a custom frame and fork for less than a stock frame alone from a majority of other fabricators I was initially interested in.

Similar Products Used: Bianchi C.U.S.S. Bontrager Privateer
Rob   Cross Country Rider [Dec 14, 2006]
Strength:

Nice neat welds, simple clean looking frame, good value, strong robust frame

None I can see

Very nice bike, love the way it rides, Walt's 29er has opened up a whole new world of cycling. Don't think I will have another 26er or full sus bike for quite a while. I look at alloy frames now and they don't interest me at all, and I didn't think I would become a steel frame zealot. Would highly recommend a Walt frame and a 29er. I ride this frame and think I will still be riding it in 10 years, it's that solid.

D. W. Zombie   Cross Country Rider [Mar 31, 2008]
Strength:

clean craftsmanship, tailor made fit, excellent handling, superior customer service, reasonable price.

Four month wait for the happy ending.

Shopped around for my first 29r and test rides on prod bikes left me wanting more. Saw the affordability of a WW. Took the leap and told Walt what I liked about my current 26rs on the fit form. Walt delivered the fit and geometry I desired.
I feel very confident on the bike (much more confident then on previous bikes) and haven’t changed anything on the bike since the build. And I can’t think of anything about the bike I would want to change. Nice!

Similar Products Used: Geared Kona Unit 29 (Bike and Bean day rental), parking lot spins on other major manufacturers’ 29rs.
albert   [Mar 23, 2008]
Strength:

solid frame

Only real grip is same for many builders. Rear track ends are not angled so you must adjust the brakes when ever you change gearing (wheel position for / aft). Minor gripe

Purchased used bike from Walt along with a new fork. I lucked out in that I'm pretty close to his size and weight so it fit well.

Bike and fork have a good feel. Bit more stable than the Dambala but not sluggish at all.

Noce basic singlespeed 29er. No fuss no muss I just ride it.