Van Nicholas Zion 29 29er Hardtail

The 29” wheeled version of the Zion brings all the design and performance of the regular 26” wheeled model but with added ‘rollability’. A very specialist machine indeed.

• Full 3Al/2.5V Ti construction using aerospace-grade
  • Seamless tubing with CNC machined detailing
  • Chain stays: oversized 25.4mm
  • Down Tube: 40mm reinforced gusseted down tube

Brian   [Jan 28, 2013]
Strength:

Solid as a rock. I've owned mine for 6 months and have trained and raced (100k) on it, and I love it. With the Ti frame, you don't need dual and you can sit on this thing all day long. Easy to clean and easier to maintain

The wheels that came with mine were Stans Archex. I had them back in the shop 4 times to get them re-straightened. I ended up giving up and replacing them with a nice set of hand made ones from Greg at TWE. The Stans are now sitting in my garage gathering dust..
I also had an issue with the rear derailluer (SRAM X9) which broke while out on a ride (still trying to get this covered by warranty, but the dude at SRAM (boo) is ignoring my messages (ask for Shimano..?)).

This is my first foray into the world of 29er's, and most certainly Ti. I still get asked wherever I go "..is that a Titanium?".
These bikes are awesome - a bike for life I call it. Just be picky with the components etc...

OVERALL
Johnny A   Cross Country Rider [Nov 06, 2012]
Strength:

Light, cheap, Fast on the flat or non technical gentle descents

Sluggish climbing, more cyclocross than mountain bike.

The Van Nicholas Zion 29er has few redeeming features, as a road or mild off road bike it is reasonably suited. However on single track or any twisty down hill the steering is very confused. To the point it can be described as having the handling of a ferry. You would expect the service from a small company like Van Nicholas to be second to none, but this is not the case, Support is surly and slug like. The frames are not made in the Netherlands as you would expect but in China, only the assembly is done in within Europe. I would suggest that only urban or light cross country use for this bike.