Van Dessel Sports Ramble Tamble 29er Hardtail

Frame: Reinforced Competition 7005 triple butted
Fork: Marzocchi MX Comp 29" or White Brothers Magic 29"
Head Set: Cane Creek ZS2

DoctorMike   Racer [Feb 20, 2010]
Strength:

Light, stiff, great welds, capable to run it SS or geared, stock eccentric bottom bracket holds well, paint job is killer

rear brake mount is inside rear triangle, which can make installation interesting. the hayes stroker's I'm riding have an adjustable banjo, so I was able to pivot the hose to where I wanted, but brakes without that adjustability may have an issue

Great 29er to have if you only want one. I've yet to race on this, and haven't decided to do so geared or SS, but with a better set of wheels and a solid crank, this ride could easily be under 24lbs. It's aluminum, so the ride isn't damp like with the Dragon, XXIX or SIR, but it is a good deal lighter, so there is reason to go aluminum over a chromo frame. The geometry feels good on the steeper climbs, but the front end is on the side of high (without headset spacers), but I am running a 100mm fork. Apparently all the Van Dessels are designed around at least 100mm of travel, but to get a little more of a race feel, consider an 80mm fork. There were contact issues with the down tube and some Fox forks' crown knobs I noticed in the shop when I picked this up, but my Manitou is a good 7mm from contact. The welds look great, and so far it's held up well, but time will tell. As I said before, the paint job is really well done - speckled root beer - and so far, it's held up really nicely. Much more so than the bogus paint Niner uses. Edwin Bull, the owner of Van Dessel Sports, is a great guy and runs the shop in Jersey where I bought this, so if you're looking for a 29er from a company with great customer service, Van Dessel could be it. I'll definitely be riding their stuff in the future.

Similar Products Used: Jamis Dragon 29er, Raleigh XXIX, Niner AIR and SIR
glclark   Weekend Warrior [Nov 03, 2008]
Strength:

Fast, light and simple. Handles great and fun to ride. Flexibility, can run SS, gears or Roloff.

List price seems a little high, but I got a great deal on mine.

I didn't want to break the bank, but wanted a fun 29er SS. Since finishing it, I tend to ride it more than my other bikes. Took two or three rides and it fits like a glove.

Similar Products Used: Rig
Tom   Racer [Sep 23, 2007]
Strength:

Highly predictable and confidence inspiring handling. Super efficient climber. Fast.

Felt completely at home on this bike after first couple of rides -- more than I ever did on Scalpel after 12 months. With tire pressure at 25#/30# (front/rear) the ride is surprisingly smooth for fully rigid set-up. Ready to go fast and race out of the box. 29ers rule!