Van Dessel Sports Jersey Devil HT 29er Hardtail

Van Dessel Sports Jersey Devil HT 29er Hardtail

Frame: Reinforced Competition 7005 triple butted w/ Carbon Seat Stays
Fork: Marzocchi MX Comp 29" or White Brothers Magic 29"
Head Set: Cane Creek ZS2

[May 06, 2009]
ziprace

Strength:

29er, frame is strong and light,carbon seatstays, American Classic wheels, Small builder can customise your spec., paint and craftsmanship of the frame is good.

This demo bike had a neglected drivetrain so I am not sold on the FSA crankset and X-7 shifters.

I had heard a lot about 29 ers when an opportunity to demo the Van Dessel came up.
I tried it out on familiar trails. One day I rode it for 2 hours at a place that could be described as " fast". The next day I rode it for 3 hours at Allamuchy which features steep climbs and technical riding. Both are places where XC races are held.
This bike met or exceeded my expectations in every respect. The Jersey Devil was 4 pounds lighter than my Trance and super easy to bunny hop over small logs. After a 3 hour ride I did not miss having a rear suspension. The Jersey Devil is great in the woods. I was able to clean an uphill log and a boggy wet rockgarden I had been unable to do on rides before. A tight switchback with babyheads on the uphill turn was no sweat and I was flying the long downhill on the White Trail like never before. This 29 er had about a 2 minute learning curve for me and even wheelied in the driveway easily.
As for value, the wheels get the price up but they are worth it. Especially when you consider the 29er wheels save the cost and weight of a rear suspension frame.