Trek Stache 29er Hardtail

Trek Stache 29er Hardtail

Welcome to the future. Stache breaks new trail bike ground, blending 29er hardtail simplicity and fun with trail-tuned suspension, geometry, and spec. Trail, meet your new master.

[Sep 03, 2018]
ubsil

Strength:

The 3˝ mid-fat tires

I purchased this model (Stache 7 2018) six months ago. Over all, big disappointment. First of all, with the gear set, and even more with the manufacturer response (or lack/poor response...). The gear set (Crank and cassette) of this 2018 model has been downgraded compared to any Stache 7 of previous years (2017 or 2016) as well as to any similar models of the company or of of any other manufacturers. The gear set with 28T in the front and 11T on the rear make the fastest ride suitable for 12-14 mph. In contrast, the slowest 28T / 46T mode is too slow and is not useful. All my calls to the company to replace the frontal touch with greater learning were not answered and ignored! Moreover, I found that in the 2019 model they increased the frontal bump back to 30T so that in practice they actually found that their choice was wrong. Bottom line, I do not recommend buying this model, and in lite of their type "good responses" if I will purchase a bike from this manufacturer in the future (after 3 previous models I had from them)

Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2018
[May 11, 2018]
icebadger

Strength:

I own the $3800 2016 Stache 9. I also demoed the 2018 Stache 7. The older, more expensive Stache 9 was smoother, more comfy, and better spec'd. Incredibly fun bike. Great technical climber. Great uphill traction. Great around tight corners. Great brakes. On many short dips that would hang me up or rocks that would stop me even on full suspension cross country bikes, this bike just powers up and over --- and is fun while doing it. Very fast on decent. On all but expert trails, this bike is faster (and more fun) than any full suspension bike I demoed. The bike is better than me, but it makes me look (and more importantly, feel) a lot better than I really am. Everything about it is a blast. I tested full suspension and hardtails from the major brands and this one was way, way more fun than even Trek full suspension bikes that cost a lot more. It is also very safe. It doesn't hang up or go down like other bikes. It just pings you back to the middle of the trail or bounces you off of that rock you tried to miss. On almost every outing, it burns my legs out to major fatigue and pain because I never wanna quit any ride. It is so much fun, I just always wanna go just one more mile... On less than very rough trails, it is way more fun and just as comfortable as any full suspension bike. As rough a terrain as this bike can handle day in and day out, I can't believe the tubeless Chupacabra tires haven't gotten a single flat yet. The thrill and exhilaration of any new bike settles back to just good enjoyment after a while, but that hasn't happened at all. I am always looking forward to a new trail or pushing faster or...

I have never laid it down on the derailleur side, but the Sram x1 derailleur seems to need adjustment every month. Shifting is so much better than Shimano XT, that it is not a negative, but a neutral tradeoff. That is on Sram, not Trek.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2016
[May 15, 2015]
James Collier

Strength:

Biggest strength is the ear-to-ear grin this bike puts on my face every time I ride. It climbs, it descends, it handles well and it takes my 220 lb without complaint.

None, unless you count wanting to work less and ride more a weakness.

In the October of 2013 after a huge life accomplishment I decided it was time to retire my well used Kona Dawg 26" dual suspension rig and get something new. I spent months reading magazines, blogs, reviews and chatting with the staff at my pretty awesome LBS. After giving many new riders the advice to buy a 29" hard tail, I was struggling over whether to buy a dual suspension or a hardtail. After much angst I decided to follow my gut and buy the inaugural year Stache 8 - the bike whose picture I had printed out and tacked to my wall many months previously. I was willingly to let the 29" wheels smooth out the bumps and willing to learn how to ride on a hard tail.

I am a 50+ cross country rider who rides the desert trails around Phoenix. I bought the Stache 8 on a Saturday morning and was on the trail by mid-afternoon. I was very curious about whether I made a good choice. After all of that money, would I learn to love this bike. Answer: absolutely "yes!". It took less than 3 miles for the grin to appear (and hasn't left yet). I noticed right away how easy this bike rolled through rock gardens, how easy it handled the sandy washes, and just generally made me happy. I have put over 1,000 miles on this bike, increased my rides from 1 a week to 2-3 a week and have never looked back. I can't recite every specification of this bike, but I can tell you that it has been great for me. I would recommend this bike to without reservation.

[Feb 04, 2015]
Michael

Strength:

Price
Fast very fast
Low maintenance
Quite
Confident inspiring
Just Plain fun!!!

No dropper seat post
Must always remember your on a hard tail

Like some of you out there I was spending half of my time staring into a magical lighted glass box absorbing all the forums, reviews, specs, geometry charts full suspension vs hardtail and youtube documents only to be left mentally exhausted and my decision in thicker fog then it had been in before my mountain bike quest.
While recuperating my tired some mined was vulnerable to invading clouds of the imagination assaulting the already tender brain with visuals of how the different bikes would ride on my Midwest terrain and how I would look on the bike and how the bike would look in my truck when driving to the local F.O.R.C. trails. Fearing I was falling into bike madness I decided a nap should stave it off and was certain I would awake refreshed and clear minded. I was certainly wrong awaking out of a bike dream were the bike Quest had followed me "No escape" I thought to my self.
It was clear bike madness had its claws dug Inn it was surly a matter of time before it would consume me.
Then a Stached faced man by the name of Gary Fisher comes out with with his version of what he declared was a simple all around fun bike.
"Simple you say? " I questioned Gary Fisher as if his picture could hear or reply clearly more symptoms of bike madness. From there I mustard up some brain power and added another bike to the limitless research list. From what I gathered Gary took his xc superfly geo and combined it with treks trail bike know how accompanied with the advantage of low maintenance hence the absent suspension in the back. Thus the stache is born.
I was sold based on it being promoted as a simple trail shredding machine to put it simply And now after eight months since my stache purchase I am grinning ear to ear not just from riding the bike but knowing I made the right purchase.
Now if you find yourself in a similar peril as I had described then me telling you the xc sized chainstays will keep your front end from going up on the steep climbs or the slacker head tube makes it favor some air among many other details will only thicken the fog you find your self in. My prescription is simple get a bike that is simple and have some fun already, biking is fun thus the less time in the bike clinic equals more time riding equals more fun.
Not that my guarantee is worth the time you vested in this review but I can guarantee the Trek Stache is awsome!!!!!!!!

[Jun 20, 2014]
dirtsurfer
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

stiff, stable & fun

didn't come with dropper post

First impression ride last night (night ride) Bike was a blast. climbed very well, descended fast, quick handling and very stable. Working on tire pressures and shock pressures to dial in ride.
Shimano brakes worked well, no noise or power loss, Bontrager 29-3 worked well, very predictable, liked the wide bar and riding position. Type 2 derailleur worked well and the "no chain slap" clutch works. will replace the grips as they are too thin for my taste.
Bike begs for dropper post on steep rough trails- next purchase
I feel sorry for my 26" FS bike it might not get as many rides as it is accustom too.

Intense 5.5 EVP
Specialized Epic Comp
Tricycle with air bag

[May 25, 2014]
Tim Criswell

Strength:

Everything. this bike is just plain awesome. I love Hardtails and this is a really great one, Mine weighs 27.05 lbs with pedals and 2 water bottle cages.

None yet....

I just bought the 2014 Stache 8. It is the orange colored one. Words can not describe how great this bike is.Al I can say is WOW. It climbs like a billy goat and descends like a full suspension. For a 29er it can accelerate like nobodies business. Even the stock tires are pretty good. I would highly recommend this bike to anyone looking for a all around awesome bike. Frame is awesome, components are awesome.

[Apr 26, 2014]
Fuzzyface
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Relatively light weight
Fast
Maneuverable

None so far

After 4yrs of 26" hardtail, I finally took the plunge into the 29er realm....and glad I did with the 2014 Stache 8. It only took a few rides to get accustomed to the geometry & feel. Having read some reviews about it being a well-balanced all-around mountain bike, I would have to agree. Climbs well, descends with confidence, and plenty nimble through technical sections. I ride mostly hard-packed trails with roots & logs etc, where the Stache is a blast...while recent rides through more technical rocky trails have proven the bike to be up for the task and confidence-instilling.

Component-wise, I'm no expert...but generally pleased with the package. The 2x10 setup is exactly what I need. The Fox shocks are quite nice, so far just sticking with climb or trail modes. As expected, the Shimano brakes and shifters are flawless. Whether or not the component upgrades from the Stache 6 or 7 are worth the cost, I can't say...but I trust that over time the components will pay for themselves, and I don't plan to stop biking anytime soon.

Fit-wise, the 19" frame for my 6'/170lb self fits well, thought the saddle to handlebar distance is a bit tighter than I was used to with my 2007 6500 SLR . Will see how that pans out on longer rides, but no complaints so far. An off-set seat post may be in the future, given my long torso... but the more forward position has been a plus on climbs and attacking technical sections...while not being a liability on descents. It was a tough call after also test-riding a Superfly (which had a more similar feel to the SLR), but I have no regrets going with the more aggressive-feeling Stache.

I would definitely recommend to a friend, whether a beginner or a seasoned rider.

[Apr 13, 2014]
Henri8

Strength:

Fast, technicaly capable, can cover most of the terrain included in a trail bike's menu, fun! Excellent climber, light, great cornring. Perfect for flowing long trails, gets by well in techincal terrain even if rocky, grear climber, good at long distance as well. Comfy for a hardail. Shimano SLX/XT/ Race face cranks perform well. Great geomtery. non-fashionable-not-so-very-short-chainstay with G2 front = agile handling, very capable in corenrs, tracks well but also quick handler.

How long is the rear wheel going to last?
A bit expensive
Rear tire sensitive to pressure (too high no tracktion, too low slam the rim)

Can do (almost) anything fun bike. You can use it as your only mountain bike.

Banshee Paradox
Felt 9
Kona Honzo

[Oct 18, 2013]
JCsMamba

Strength:

Drivetrain, SLX brakes. Fork. This bike rides like a whisper on the trail. Blows me away every time I'm out there. I also like the color.

Just the rider.

This was an upgrade to my 2013 Mamba that I rode for about 10 months. That Mamba was my first foray into MTB. I'm 5'8" 155 lbs, and that Mamba was a 15.5" frame. With the Stache I upsized to the 17.5" frame because I felt more confident on the bike, and it was the last 2013 Stache 8 anywhere around so the LBS gave me a hell of a deal on the new bike and the trade in.

I've had the bike about 3 weeks and I've put about 125-150 miles on it so far. I still can't get over how quiet she is. Every time I hit the trails, I find more things to be impressed with. She's light for an aluminum frame and the Fox fork combo. I switched over my Schwalbe tires for a tubeless set-up. Running 27 psi in the rear and 25 psi up front; this foot print gives me the best bite on these tires. I still haven't gone clipless, so I use the crankbrothers 50/50 2 pedals. Clipless will probably be the next upgrade for me.

Trek has their new Trek Care warranty plan that I'll probably purchase. It seems pretty comprehensive, I'm just beating up on the LBS so they can beat up Trek on the price. $356+ tax for the warranty. I could upgrade quite a few of the components before I hit that price point. If the warranty were closer to 10% of the list price, I'd be in. Although if I taco a wheel, it would pay for itself immediately. Trek also allows you to pay the difference in upgrading parts. So if I damage the SLX brakes in a crash, XT here I come.

[Oct 03, 2013]
Charlie Kozak

Strength:

Everything. A 29er all mountain bike! What else you can say.

I don't know yet.

Very fun bike to ride if you are a hard tail fan.