Trek Paragon 29er Hardtail

Nothing beats the efficiency and simplicity of a 29er hardtail. Great for XC racing, marathons, 24-hour racing, or simply shredding singletrack. Upgrades from X Caliber:

• Fox F100 RL 29 with E2 steerer
  • FCC MTB wheels
  • SRAM X.9 rear derailleur/Shimano SLX direct-mount front derailleur

• User Reviews (6)

EOS_   Cross Country Rider [Apr 14, 2016]
    Strength:

very good frame - geometry, handling

from the stock components - wheels

I have (had) the trek Paragon 2011 (same as Superbly AL 2012-2013). I like the color scheme, black/gray combination. I want my bike to be dark color, no bright colors. I will rate the frame – geometry, components can be changed anytime easily. This bike was introduced back in the time when 29ers were not as common (at least where I come from) and many had bad impressions about the big wheels. This bike proved them wrong. It is fast, nimble, at high speeds as well while maintaining great stability. G2 geometry really works. I owned a different 29er before it, chosen the wrong one. The handling was awkward and I was even afraid going fast in terrain. Right after I managed to sell it, I got this one and quickly regained all my riding confidence. The frame is stiff, well built. One big advantage of TREK 29” HT is the frame length. Probably the longest 29” HT frame out there. Size M is as long as size L of most other brands which means you can get a one size smaller frame to fit you perfectly and you get more standing clearance. It only would not fit the long legged (models).
    Regarding the stock components, I would recommend to upgrade mainly the wheels. The Bontrager rims are strong, but really heavy and fitting tires into them is a nightmare. It is practically impossible to correctly fit tires into them even when using a compressor. When I was riding on flat smooth surface, it was like riding a horse. Shimano hubs… no comments. A bike in this class deserves sealed cartridge bearings.

Similar Products Used: Marin Nail Trail 2011
    sprocket47   [May 17, 2012]
    Strength:

Very solid bike with great geometry.

A couple of the stock components. Color scheme is lame.

I love my 2011 Paragon, although I've upgrated a few parts; Thomson post and stem, Answer bars, Shimano XT brakes, Selle Italia saddle, Specialized tires (tubless)...and a couple other things. The bike rides very solid and I feel confident on steep decents but it's light enough to climb great. The Fox RL forks are great! Wheels are fine - they stay tru and I'm a big rider, but they're heavy and are next on my list for upgrade. Bottom line is that the geometry and build of this bike is rock solid, very comfortable and super fun to ride. Although I like brighter color schemes on bikes, the tube shapes with the black/grey color gives it a great tank or recon look.

mark forster   Cross Country Rider [May 02, 2012]
    Strength:

Price, Geometry, build kit, price (bought an '11 in Apr '12 for 1700)

Rear brake not burned by LBS and squealing like a mother, tires

Nice ride and very stable. Handles technical trails well, maybe as good as my '02 Trek 8900. Normal XC chores no problem. Brakes aren't nearly Avid Elixir 7, but the stop well and everyone knows you're stopping (cause they can hear your brake). Not sure why they spec'd the tires they did. They're heavy 2.2's and I can't figure out what they're doing on this bike. A lighter 1.9 or 2.0 inch tire would make more since for most of my normal riding, race weight 2.2's would be better for a bike at this level.

Similar Products Used: Trek 8900
    spankyjones   Cross Country Rider [Sep 20, 2011]
    Strength:

stability at speed due to long wheel base, lightweight (26.5 lbs. in 19" with pedals), great climber, best fork I've ever used (Fox)

boring paint and graphics, still getting used to the 17 degree handlebar but I think it's ok, looks like Trek used the crankset as a place to save costs, not a sharp turner in tight singletrack but that's the price you pay for a laid out cockpit and 29" wheels. D

Good bike, bordering on great. Great compliment to my FS, and I couldn't pass it up for the price I paid. It will be my race bike next year and I think it will do the job well for courses that aren't really rocky or really tight.

I am truly in between sizes at 5'10" exactly. I tested a 17.5 X-Cal and I had 9" of seatpost showing, had the saddle all the way back on the rails, and I still felt crowded. The 17.5 just looked tiny too. The 19" felt a little big and looks a ittle big but it's definitely the better choice. The spacious cockpit is more confortable than I thought it would be - but I'm not going to be tossing this bike all over the trail. If you're 5'10" or more you have to get a 19". I'm a believer in sizing up if in between sizes, unless you're huckin.

Similar Products Used: Stumpjumper Comp 29
    mdk84   Cross Country Rider [Aug 31, 2011]
    Strength:

-Weight
    -Fork
    -Braking
    -Maneuverability

-Drivetrain
    -Handlebars (see bottom line)

I recently got back into mountain biking after a 9 year hiatus. A lot has changed, and for a heavier guy like me, it's all changed for the better. At 5'11 230 lb, this bike just fits me like a glove. It's fast, maneuverable, climbs well, and inspires confidence. My fiance owns a 2011 Trek Cobia and the comparison between the Paragon and Cobia is pretty mind-blowing. I can do things on this bike I could never do on hers. The only downsides to this bike are the handlebars and the drivetrain. The handlebars are wide -- really wide -- and have a pretty significant 12mm swoop to them. It's actually the same degree of swoop that comes on the Cobia stock bars, but the extra width was intimidating at first. The main caveat I have with the swoop and width of the bars now is the pressure it puts on my palms. I've adjusted (with gloves and with a lot of riding) but from time to time I question impact on control of bars this wide.

The other downside is the drivetrain. Take what I say with a grain of salt, because I'm far from knowledgeable about modern MTB drivetrains, but the 3x10 setup on this bike feels like overcomplicated overkill. I actually find the 3x9 on her Cobia much more responsive and reliable. Go figure. That said, it performs when I push it; aside from some front derailleur rub, the downsides aren't too noticeable. Just feels to me like there are a lot of duplicated gear ratios on this bike.

All in all, I love it. Best bike I've ever owned, for sure. This is the XC bike that you can ride forever and never get tired or too beat up to keep going. If you're my size, you owe it to yourself to give a solid 29er hardtail a serious try. My comfort level on this bike is lightyears beyond anything I've ridden. I plan to ride it for the next 5 years at least.