Trek Marlin 29er Hardtail

Trek Marlin 29er Hardtail

29ers are versatile enough to serve XC and trail riders, and their unbeatable efficiency and momentum make them the ultimate singlespeed weapon. Upgrades from Wahoo:

• Suspension fork lockout
  • Bontrager AT-850 rims
  • Bontrager SSR stem
  • SRAM X4 rear derailleur & shifters

• USER REVIEWS

[Apr 25, 2018]
    kenseth14

Strength:

Hydraulic disc brakes on a $500 bike! Great frame. The red color really looks sharp. The bike offers a great platform to upgrade some parts and end up with a great multi purpose ride.

Shocks are low quality. These are my first upgrade. Seat is a ass buster, Tires are stock Bontrager and leave alot to be desired. Grips are good for riding around town but on long trail rides you may want to get some quality lock-on grips.

Price Paid:
    $540
    Purchased:
    New
    Model Year:
    2018
    [Apr 07, 2018]
    space8stars

Strength:

1st real bike ive owned trek marlin 5 2017 so fare ive enjoyed it very much just light riding for the 1st 100 miles just got to try it out on a real mtb trail and it did good last time i did this trail was on schwinn ranger witch some how stayed together but was super uncomfortable and needed the handle bars tighten every 5mins the trek did grate for 500$ i was happy with the frame bars levers i did upgrade the pedals and tires but other then that all stock every thing stayed tight and worked as it should what more could i ask for loved the paint and 29in rims skipped over roots and small rocks like nothing total miles on the bike id say 135 miles

my front wheel nut seems to come lose every now and then same with the rear wheel out on the trail but nothing a little lock tight cant fix other then that the stock tires are kinda slick upgrade asap if you plan to ride any trails

Price Paid:
    Purchased:
    New
    Model Year:
    2017
    [Sep 22, 2017]
    MarshallMTB

Strength:

Solid frame with pretty good geometry for XC trails. Mechanical disc brakes and sturdy wheels. Shimano components.

It's a 7x3 speed bike, so upgrading the drive train isn't straight forward. The brakes aren't great. Stock pedals, seat, and grips are rubbish.

The Trek Marlin 5 (2017) is actually a decent entry level bike. Sure, the components aren't great, and the fork is like a pogo stick, but I've taken it on local mountain trails and I have jumped it, went down rocky turns, crashed it a few times, and it's still working 100%. For the price $550 it is great for getting into the sport. I'm already thinking of upgrading to something twice the price, but for the money it's a great bike.

[Jan 24, 2017]
    omarlin29
    All Mountain Rider

Strength:

highend frame with stable G2 geometry for aggressive riding.

forks and brakes suck ass, crankset and wheels are cheap and bulky

Have had this bike for about 3 years now and have fully built it up. I beat on this bike and it holds up like a high end machine. have fallen many times and have crashed down tube first into the corner of a stone wall, leaving only a small dent. im a 5' 10" rider with a 17.5in frame and think its a bit small but i can maneuver the bike how i want and forget how small it is when descending. I use this bike mainly for XC/Trail/DJ/Aggressive street riding (use to ride bmx) . Great all around bike after a few mandatory upgrades(forks, brakes, bigger bars, DH tires)

[Sep 18, 2016]
    Jack

Strength:

The frame is great and it hasn't failed me. The geometry is pretty good too.

The grips are horrid, the back brake never worked properly from the start so I had to go get a new rotor and pads, the shocks are rock hard and they blew out on my yesterday, and the chain stretched out in 6 months of riding and broke my back cassete and hub.

This bike is great for its price, but it is beginner level only. After taking it out on some blues, blacks, and jump trails, this bike completely failed me. From the start I had replaced the grips, and I had to keep taking it in for various back brake problems. About 8 months after buying the bike I just got a new back rotor and pads. That fixed that problem. Two problem free rides and then my back cassete stopped engaging. I took it to a bike shop and they said my chain had gone through its life. In six moths?!
    The chain stretching ruined my back cassete and I had to replace it. Now that that that is fixed my fork is shot and it blew both seals.
    I will say that this bike is great for the price if you are a beginner, but every ride I have had on this bike something breaks.

[Mar 01, 2016]
    Jeff Buhrmann
    All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Great price, responsiveness, 29" wheels

Components could be better, mostly the rear derailleur

I recently purchased this bike. My main uses are for commuting to work, and attaching a trailer for riding with my kid, and some light mountain biking.

I have really been enjoying the bike. I think it is a great bike for the price point.

I did the usual upgrades you get when you buy a new bike. Swapped out the pedals for spd's, changes the tubes to prestas, and added lizard skins to keep the goat heads from puncturing the tubes. Took off the reflectors, and of course added a saddle bag.

The biggest cons I have found about the bike are the rear derailleur needs to be upgraded. In my experience, even with cheaper mtn. Bikes. The derailleur is usually a better quality than the front.

I also found that the seat is too soft. I feel like I am sitting on a lazy boy couch. I will be upgrading the seat to something harder. I am not sure why others have found it to be so hard, but then again I am used to riding a road bike with an extremely stiff seat.

Great bike, glad I bought it.

Trek 4500

[Nov 01, 2015]
    Sean Bolden
    All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Hydraulic disc brakes

Cheap pedals, some may find sea hard

Overall great bike. It is the cheapest you can get hydraulic disc brakes. The pedals are quite cheap and some may find the seat uncomfortable (It feels great to me as the one on my old bike was WAY worse!)

[Jan 20, 2015]
    Shane

Strength:

Hydraulic disc brakes (Marlin 6), Frame, Style, G2 Geometry

Rims (single wall), Pedals, Seat, front and rear derailleur

2014 Trek Marlin 6 - After putting some miles on the bike and taking it on a few trails I have to say I am very please with this bike. For the price range I would say it is one of the best options if you want a new bike. A lot of the reviews on here call this a beginners bike, but I would say it is as least intermediate I take this bike on blue, and black (expert) trails every weekend and have not had any issues. That being said I am not on down hill trails with large jumps, this bike was not designed for that, and I would not recommend this bike for that type of ridding.

Now for the bad - Even though I have not had a problem with the bike yet, I know from past experience with other bikes the single wall rims are going to fail on me. The front and rear derailleur work but they are the cheapest for a reason. Peddles are junk replace them I put MG1's on the bike for $30 and they work great. The stock seat is not comfortable.. I added a XLC suspension seat post and Zefal Journey seat and now my bike is super comfortable.

In closing, if you are looking for a new bike and want to spend less then 600 this is a good buy. Go test it and a few others and see what fits you the best.

Trek 3700, Diamondback Overdrive, Trek 4300, Trek 3900, GT Timberline,

[Sep 21, 2014]
    Luke Schar

Strength:

I have the Marlin Singlespeed so it is pretty light. Also the bike came with Maxxis so the tires are awesome.

The stock Fork and the brakes

I upgraded the Fork to a Rock Shox XC32 and love it. Its not a terribly expensive fork (only a few hundred) and rides very nicely. I also like the maxxis tires i have on it. The 29er wheels save ur butt a lot when riding to fast. I purchased it from my LBS at a very good price (379) so i got a lot of bang for my buck

Trek Wahoo

[Jul 01, 2014]
    Shaun

Strength:

Great frame, strong double-wall wheels (for price), great geometry.

Brakes, fork and tires

I have owned my 2012 Trek Marlin for about two years now. Despite the sub-par brakes and mediocre fork, it is a great bike for the money. It has handled moderate trail riding better than I had imagined with minimal problems. The frame is definitely worthy of upgrading with improved components. I think upgrading to good quality hydraulic brakes and a better fork would make this a great trail bike for the novice rider.