Specialized Stumpjumper Expert 29er 29er Hardtail

Stumpjumper Expert 29er

FACT carbon frame, brilliant front suspension, and outstanding component spec make for one really fast 29er hardtail.

• FACT 8m carbon HT frame with 29er-specific geometry, tapered head tube and oversized BB offers superb ride feel and performance in an incredibly lightweight package
  • Custom RockShox Reba 29 90mm fork with Brain is super stiff, and features rebound and Brain Fade adjustment to dial in the perfect platform for hardtail bliss
  • Custom DT Swiss 29" rims with eyelets and sleeved seams keep weight low and durability high
  • S-Works Renegade 29 x 1.95" dual compound 2Bliss Ready tires with aramid bead roll fast and still provide plenty of race-tested traction
  • Super light, custom SRAM Carbon S-2200 10-speed double crankset with PF-30 spindle and removable spider offers stiffness, performance, and durability
  • Custom Avid Elixir CR SL brakes/levers with tool-free reach adjust and alloy backed semi-metallic pads offer lightweight, power-packed control for ripping up XC trails

Kevin   Cross Country Rider [Oct 02, 2013]
Strength:

Light weight
Good components
Looks good
Great for climbing

Cassette and free hub body combination

2010 Stumpjumper Carbon Expert 29er Hardtail; 3x9; XT crankset; X9 shifters; XO rear deraileur SLX front; Fox fork; DT Swiss hubs & wheels; tubless; Avid Elixr brakes (~4000mi at time of review). I'm 6'1" and the 21" fits just right. Weaknesses first: the OE Shimano cassette digs into the aluminum free hub body. I noticed this when it came time to replace the cassette and chain. Chances are, if you have one of these (2010) bikes or are looking to buy one, the cassette has already been replaced. I've heard you can replace the free hub body with a steel one from the DT Swiss 370 hub. I still have the aluminum free hub body (in the interest of weight savings) and I replaced the cassette with a lighter Sram PG990 and really like it (you lose 2 teeth on the largest cog that you get on the OE Shimano). The S-works tires are fast and light, but cut easy on rocks and branches. Organic brake pads wear faster but are quieter...and organic - opt for the metallic pads with steel backing plate to decrease wear and save $ (at the expense of weight and less noise). Descending seems to be a little more of a challenge, but that could be rider-error. Strengths: I feel like this bike has held up well. I've replaced the bottom bracket bearings once and am in need of replacing the headset now, but have been limping the bearings along with a little extra maintenance and grease. It climbs really well and is fast on the flats. The naked carbon frame has a cool look to boot. The wheels have held up well with some truing and I have recently replaced the bearings in the rear hub. Switched to tubeless and wouldn't ever go back to tubes. The fox fork is smooth and the manual lockout is very useful - remember to check the air pressure in the fork and change the oil and seals as needed. Bottom line: this bike is fast, looks good, and treats you well as long as you give it some love (normal maintenance) from time to time. Upgrades I'd consider: 2x10 drivetrain and some carbon components (bars, seatpost, etc).

Alex Dugas   Cross Country Rider [Feb 03, 2013]
Strength:

Super light, fast, etc.

Not enough clearance between top tube and break lever.

I Bought 2013 model. Cracked the top tube on my first ride. Crossed the handle bars but there wasn't enough clearance between the top tube and the break lever. The top tube cracked pretty bad. Specialized offered crash replacement for the frame but it was nearly full price.

I got the frame fixed instead but I can't put enough spacers to clear the top tube. Ordered a new stem with 20 degree rise, hopefully this will solve the problem.

Al D   Racer [Oct 01, 2012]
Strength:

Super light, super fast. I have the 2012 carbon expert 21", am 6' 2" and the bike fits perfect. Absolutely flies uphills and rules on anything close to level ground. Great stock parts but I upgraded my bars and stem to carbon and rear cassette to SRAM XG 1099, setup with tubeless for a total weight of 21.3 for an XL. Incredible!

Downhill technical his is scary. You really need to have your bike setup perfect and find what works cause steep tech terrain has been a work in progress but I finally dialed it in with an 80" stem. It works for me and feels way more controlled than the 105mm stem. Tires, renegade control are stable, renegade s-works are fragile. Anything but smooth or semi smooth single track will do. As soon as I got into rutty riding with rocks and such my tires cut. Running racing Ralph's tubless and they are incredible IMHO.

Insanely fast bike for the price. ( paid 3100 at my LBS) and can climb so well I actually look at it as a an advantage in races. Consider different tires, renegades are blazing fast but the sworks version is super sensitive. Practice ride this bike and get it dialed in before getting into a race, especially anything downhill. Easy to get to the 21 lb mark with tubless and rear cassette change. I have no regrets!

kark   All Mountain Rider [Aug 16, 2012]
Strength:

Light, rolls well, climbs very well. Generally very fast in open terrain with good sight lines. Stable at speed.

understeer. slow response time for corners requires planning well ahead.
Rims are weak, replaced the back and the front is not far from getting binned.
Avid elixir brakes are a doing the turkey gobble thing and I don't prefer the lever shape to other brakes. but that's just me maybe.

I'm desperately trying to love this bike. It's incredibly sexy, and on buff open trails is quite fast. This is my first 29r and I expected some growing pains and adjustments. I've got about 50hrs on it now, have made several adjustments to the cockpit and extended the travel from 80 to 100 to try to get some versatility and deal with the understeer and have made adjustments to my riding style, position etc to try to figure it out but I'm still really not feeling it.
It pains me to say, because it's gorgeous and I really really want to like it, and have always had an XC hardtail as part of the stable but cornering is one of the bigger elements of riding for me and this just doesn't excel at that. I'm going to give it another month and if I can't figure out how to make it turn corners I'm going to sell it off.

Similar Products Used: Salsa dos niner
pburbidge   All Mountain Rider [Mar 21, 2012]
Strength:

Fast,stiff,nice cranks,good spec,

Rims are terrible

Great bike but a shame about the rims. Folder the front over in a corner which caused a crash. The wheel had run true to that point. Rebuilt on same hub with Stans Arch. Rear needed frequent trueing so its being swapped as well. Overall the stock build was very good and I think the 2012's have better wheels. I was lucky to have ordered mine before they raised the MSRP mid season. Even if the open droppout/oversize end caps to yield a stiffer front end I'd like to see Specialized using 15mm axles instead as it makes upgrades and swap outs more difficult. I'm looking at carbon wheels right now and its been a hassle. I use this bike to compliment my Ibis Mojo HD (excellent bike) and find I enjoy my time on the hardtail every bit as much as the Ibis.

Similar Products Used: variety of xc to all mountain rigs
iamrobot   Cross Country Rider [Jan 06, 2012]
Strength:

Very light stock: 22lb and change. Smart spec. Extremely stiff. Dialed geometry. Brain fork works as advertised. Nice wheels for the pricepoint.

Frame weight: around 1400 grams for a medium. The brain fork isn't as controlled as an RLT or an RC3, fairly easy to swap dampers though. an extra 10mm travel would be nice stock (includes spacers to get the travel you want though). Would have preferred a 15mm through axle. Not very compliant rear triangle.

There are a lot of things to really like about this bike. The 2012 wheels are very nice for stock components. The frame is exceptionally stiff. The entire package is very light for a stock bike under 4 grand (it would be for a stock bike near 6 grand, as well). I would recommend this bike to anyone that wants a raceable package right out the box. If the type of riding you do is fast, putting the power down and less technical, I think this bike comes set up near perfect stock.

Spec: The cranks are very rigid for a bike this price and hard to fault. Steering is quite precise. The 2012 wheels ride well, are easy to set up tubeless, and appear to be more durable than the ones speced on 2011s and prior. I'm even impressed with how well the 1 bolt seatpost works. The brain fork does do its job exactly as intended, it climbs phenomonally, and is pretty adjustable. Were I riding smoother conditions, I would definitely keep it, however, when pushing the hardtail to its limits through steep rock gardens, chutes, and drops, it is less predictable than the high end dampers from Fox and RS.

Ride and Frame:

Pros: Depending on what types of trails/racing you do, this may be your perfect bike short of spending 7K plus. This thing is exceptionally stiff and steers very predictably. The build nails weight and performance versus cost, so if you don't see yourself doing any upgrading to a stock package, this bike might make you very happy
Cons: If you are wanting to upgrade a bike to make it as light as possible you should do a different frame up, or just get an sworks. The frame is a little hefty at around 1400 grams. Very hard to make the bike sub 20, and difficult and expensive to make it sub 21 (though, this is partially a compliment to the great build). The bike could use an extra 10mm travel. Also, the ride is harsh compared to an Air 9 Carbon and Scott Scale.

The package comes together quite nicely. If you want a bike to build below 20 lbs, it probably isn't for you. Also, if you want a bike that has the otherworldly ride quality of the highest end carbon with the most precise layups, it isn't for you either. However, if you want a race-worthy bike that has a super smart spec, and pedals like a zooty road bike, the Stumpy is hard to fault.

Similar Products Used: Alloy Niners, alloy Specializeds.
merlinman   Cross Country Rider [Oct 18, 2011]
Strength:

Light!!!!, fast, responsive and unbelievable comfort in riding position from the very first ride...great component package, so far strong, solid bike

carbon frame, if you ride on bony or loose trails or washouts you are bound to chip the paint easily on this bike when rocks are flying up, dt swiss specialized wheelset comes out of true pretty easy and I am not a heavy rider

Fast, light, very comfortable bike for racing, or long cross country rides no matter what the pace this bike keeps up and responds, lots of specialized components but they are light and solid, I have ridden xo for years and have loved it since it came out great responsive shifting, geometry makes you feel like you are not even on a 29er

Similar Products Used: jamis exile 29er, stumpjumper pro 26"
hartarthur   Cross Country Rider [Aug 22, 2011]
Strength:

Weight, Fit, Feel

Brakes, Could use more travel than an 80mm up front, Frame strength

My ride is actually a 2010 Expert Carbon 29er... Bottom line comes down to this... It's a good bike, if you're effing tiny. If you are 5.8" and 150lbs, this is for you. I however, am 6'4", 210lbs... The bike couldn't handle me. The seat stay cracked in 6 months of less than aggressive riding. The wheels would not stay true - and I was told by a mechanic to have it rebuilt. The rear tire lasted 2 rides before the sidewall blew out. It is currently off to specialized to get a warranty frame and also on craigslist for sale... What blows my mind is that the 2011 and 2012 actually have thinner seat stays...

Similar Products Used: Trek, Giant, Yeit Big Top (not carbon)
msauer   Racer [Mar 27, 2011]
Strength:

Fast Stiff Bike

Warranty Bogus! There is no more lifetime waranty on specialized frames. They will tell you its impact damage if there is any sign of bike being ridden at all !!

The bike rode nicely for about a total of 20 rides. Then during a dirt crit race.on one of the smothest grass trail ive been on in years the rear seat stay cracked halfway thru on the top of the stay! The bike had been ridden for about 6 months saving my epic evo r for racing only!! So of course the bike had signs of wear meaning very minor scratches on the clear coat. My LBS took the bike apart and sent in the frame for warranty exchange. to both of our shock Specialized denied the warrenty claiming impact damage!WHAT THE !!?? I have been riding for 25 years and racing on Specilaized bikes for 20 years in the expert class for specialized and my LBS.I have tried to speak nicely to several people at Specialized and no one wants to even listen. They are like programed robots, stating that was impact damage!! And maybe the bike fell over in the garage!! WHAT THE ??!! Its time for me to move on to another brand that will honor thier warranties! after 20 years on their product. Be very careful buying a Specialized Carbon bike!!! These complaints are poping up all over the internet so i know this is not a single case