Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er 29er Hardtail

Stumpjumper Comp 29er

Big wheels done better - all the rollover, control and confidence beenfits of a 29er with the shortest chainstays and wheelbase and honed angles for the most nimble handling. Out of the box and race ready for XC riders looking to climb fast and rail twisty singletrack on big wheels.

• 29er HT frame with curved top tube looks as fast and sweet as it rides due to its race-optimized 29" geometry and M5 manipulated alloy construction
  • RockShox Reba RLT 29er fork with size-specific travel, rebound/compression adjust, and Floodgate control allows this 29er to soak up rocks like no other
  • Custom DT Swiss 29" rims with eyelets and sleeved seams keep weight low and durability high
  • S-Works Renegade 29 x 1.95" dual compound 2Bliss Ready tires with aramid bead roll fast and still provide plenty of race-tested traction
  • Avid Elixir R SL lightweight hydraulic disc brakes/levers with alloy backed semi-metallic pads and tool-free reach adjust for superb control and modulation
  • Specialized BG Phenom Comp saddle with hollow Cr-Mo rails is a lightweight and minimalist design, tuned for sit bone flex and comfortable climbing

Joao Paulo- Bolas Saudas Racing Team   Cross Country Rider [Oct 19, 2015]
Strength:

Language: Portuguese(Brazil).
Geometria do quadro muito boa, bicicleta muito leve( 11,5kg com pedais crank brothers egg beater), Cabos de freios e marchas bem posicionados no quadro, evitando arranhões.Boa relação de marchas com uma troca precisa. Preço bom para o conjunto.

O Pneu traseiro fast track control é horrível, com pouca aderência em terreno com cascalho. Freios magura não são muito bons(trepidam nas frenagens mais fortes).Suspensão Rock shox Reba é muito dura!!!

Language: Portuguese
Comprei uma Specialized Stumpjumper comp 2015 tamanho M e estou gostando muito. A bicicleta é muito esperta nas descidas , para quem gosta de descer em alta velocidade.Seu peso é ideal para quem não quer andar em bicicletas com quadro de carbono e sofrer com rachaduras , trincas no carbono.Relação de peças muito boa. Troquei o Freio por um shimano SLX por que acho melhor.Shimano é melhor! O câmbio traseiro é bom(X9), mas as vezes desregula depois de uma volta em um terreno acidentado.Prefiro o Shimano XT .O que adorei foi o desenho do quadro ,e a parte de acabamento das soldas do quadro que é muito boa!A suspensão é muito dura para quem está acostumado com uma Fox Float,por exemplo.Estou adorando a bicicleta.Pode comprar com os olhos fechados!!

Winabagel Warrior   Weekend Warrior [Mar 14, 2015]
Strength:

Climbs great, descends great. Great fit and feel: the cockpit is spec'd well enough that I haven't changed anything. Most of the components work very well. Brakes vastly improved over 2009 Avid's. Frame and most of the components are really durable. The Reba fork is very adjustable and NOTHING has failed on it.

Wheelset is flexy (developed a big wobble after 800 miles) and not tubeless ready (non welded seem). Rear derailleur hanger bolt broke (but this seems to be one of the inherent design flaws of all bikes with 135 x 10 QR rear ends).

My 2011 Stumpjumper Comp 29er Hardtail has 1700+ miles and I still really like it. 3 hour, 25 mile cross country rides is the average I do on this bike. Normal expected maintenance after 1500 miles: brake pads, bottom bracket, grips and tires wore out and fork needed service. Any squeaks and creaks I've been able to take out with just normal cleaning and greasing.
Only the rear derailleur hanger bolt and not tubeless ready wheels have been unexpected issues. Stock wheelsets I don't expect to much in my experience unless I was buying a out of the box race ready machine, but if it comes with tubeless compatible tires I would expect the wheels to be tubeless compatible.
Love the power and feel of the brakes, don't like DOT 4 fluid. The M5 frame with the 80mm fork, even with the 135 x 10 QR rear end, make this a fantastic climber but a rough but capable descender.

Similar Products Used: 1997 GT Karakoram, 2005 Sumpjumper FSR Comp, 2009 Cannondale Rize 3.
joel quintos   Weekend Warrior [Feb 27, 2015]
Strength:

lightweight for a aluminum frame 29er. The bike components are great and the price 1750 at lbs.
pretty durable.

wheelset can be lighter hard seat.

I have ridden this bike now for 2000km. Last summer
and this bike is just awesome in our local 7km trail. I use it for fitness as well. Its a fast bike agile for a 29 emy set up now is at 23 lbs with deore xt pedals. Fizik tundra saddle carbon seatpost and carbon handlebar with a 50mm aluminum stem. I ran it tubeless and i can tell the diff. Much snapier on acceleration. I wipeout hard twice with the clip pedals and i only broke the front derailleur. So now running single chainring 32 tooth. overall just a excellent investment for a 29er i highly recomend this bike. if your budget is in the 2000 dollar range.

OLx6   Racer [Oct 01, 2014]
Strength:

The frame and selected parts are durable, function well without issue, and come together at a decent weight for the price point. Frame geometry is good, and meets the expectations for the type of sharp handling required for fast XC riding. The wheels have stayed true and there is no detected flex in the corners.

Coming from a Lefty fork to the Rock Shox Reba with the "Brain" valving I find the fork works well for bigger hits, but less responsive for small bumps. Another 10 - 20 mm of travel would have been nice.

Overall an very solid bike that IMO outperforms its price point. There is enough good things about this bike that upgrades would worth while.

Brian Mayeux   [Jan 16, 2014]
Strength:

Lightweight, nice fork, nice crankset. good components

Thin walled frame is very uncomfortable (compared to carbon, steel or titanium). Expensive. heavy wheelset

The thin walled frame is great because it makes it light but you feel every bump. I can't blame specialized for this, it is just the nature of that type of frame. When you can buy a used Scott carbon framed ht for less money than this bike new (which I did). It just doesn't make sense to buy a new one. If you buy one of these bikes be sure to buy it under 1200 dollars.

BigV   Cross Country Rider [May 14, 2013]
Strength:

Light, solid frame, good fork, 2x10, PF30 BB, incredible climbing, fast, solid wheels. Comfortable ride for a hardtail race bike. Tubeless ready. (This review is for a 2012 model with Avid brakes)

Brakes. They will be the first to go.

I love this bike. The climbing is unreal. Even with the Renegade tires, I rode in some wet East Ohio trails and I was surprised how the tire gripped. I don't like the Renegade on the front though.
Gets up to speed in a hurry, solid feel in rough stuff and rough downhill.
The fork has some good adjustability and I like the feel so far.
It weighed exactly 24 lbs. with no pedals and tubes with ESI grips.
This bike just takes off when you punch it. The brakes aren't great, but they're good enough for a while.
A couple minor upgrades will make it even lighter and faster.
I recommend this bike for anyone who loves to climb and go fast. For the money the performance is great especially with a couple upgrades.

Similar Products Used: Trek/Fisher Mamba 29er
Stump 29   Cross Country Rider [Feb 15, 2013]
Strength:

Solid bike. Well thought out and aesthetically pleasing in Satin Black. Light weight for a 19” 29er. Balanced geometry. Seat, tires, wheels, brakes, all good.

Welds could be prettier. Seat stays and chain stays are not shaped in any way to absorb chatter. Minor stuff.

Bottom Line: This is a review for the ’13 Comp HT (M5, Reba RL, Magura MTS...)

Excellent overall. Affordable. Weighs in at 24lbs. and 10oz. with pedals and tubeless. I’m a bit tired of reading things like – “It’s my first 29er and it’s awesome...” “My first mountain bike and it’s the best...” Seems like everyone gives out 5 stars so easily.

The most difficult part of buying this bike was getting a better bike than any of my previous bikes. Specialized was late to the 29er game. The only bikes I care about have 29” wheels. This bike caught my attention when they switched to the Maguras. My Avid’s were never 100% right. Went to LBS to ask about the EVO. I got the Comp 29 because it seemed like a better overall deal.

First impressions. Accelerates quickly. Feels nimble and predictable up the hill and down the hill. Tires grip well and the brakes make the bike stop as quickly as you need. Wasn’t sure I’d keep the original saddle, but liked it more after a few rides.

Similar Products Used: Vassago JabberWocky
Niner MCR
Redline d660
’06 Stumpjumper

BigGK   Cross Country Rider [Jan 22, 2013]
Strength:

Frame size - I'm 6'8" great to see some XXL love.
Weight - This bike is crazy light out of the box, to me anyways. First 29er, thought it would be heavier.
Gear set/shifters - First Sram components, 2x10 is awesome for my riding. Shifter location is also nice, thought I'd have a hard time coming from Shimano but I think I prefer Sram's.

Brakes? If I had to say one. They are very tunable at the levers without any tools. But I still feel there not exactly what I like, probably just need to tweak em a bit more.
Saddle/Seat - The stock seat on my 2012 was so uncomfortable. If the purpose was to keep you outta the saddle and pushin hard then mission accomplished. I did not want to sit at all.
Tires - I think this is purely rider preference. But the renegades the bike came with are useless to me. Although REALLY fast rolling, they did not give me any confidence in hitting a corner at speed.

Take my review for what it is. It was my first season of actual trail riding and I got this bike at the end of the year. I previously had a 26" Hard Rock, bought 6 years old. My first ride on the stumpy just left me smiling from start to finish. It being my first 29er, I couldnt get over the wheel just eatting anything I toss in front of it. Then theres the climbs, specialized should have installed a small horn that plays the sound of a mountain goat at the press of a button. Cause it was night and day how easy I could shred up hills. As I ride it more and more I come to find out how fast it is. The bike just rips and rolls forever. Completely blown away with the performance. I highly recommend this bike to anyone in the market for a 29er HT. Over winter I added a few components that I think are going to make it exactly what I'm looking for in this style of bike.

CC   Racer [Sep 18, 2012]
Strength:

The bike has the oversized bottom bracket and head tube and is extremely stiff. The poster below who complained about flex must have strength that I can only dream about. But I am not a weakling and the bike DOES NOT FLEX AT ALL!

Wheelset and brakes compared to the rest of the bike.....but that's why it is the Comp model and cheaper. Upgrade wheelset and go XT brakes and by damn you have a first class bike within 5-10% of those costing $7000.

Love the 29er and race it all the time. Feel comfortable on stuff that scared the crap out of me in the past. Uphills are a joy. Most important thing to get right is when you go tubeless try to run as low a tire pressure as you can. That makes this bike, and most 29ers I'm guessing, about a bump savvy as a full suspension 26er.

jersievers   [Sep 16, 2012]
Strength:

value in a race bike

wheel build

Great value, light and ready to race. Some people had issues round here with breaks, but they didn't set up right, great for me. The wheel builder skimped on putting any spoke prep, they don't true well and back kept pooping out, until I got new wheels.

Going strong, only wish 17.5 medium MTB bikes came with 170 cranks, I really don't understand the long crank thing in MTB.