Specialized Stumpjumper 29er EVO 29er Hardtail

Stumpjumper 29er EVO

Pared down, pumped up, and ready to roll on widely varied terrain, the Stumpjumper 29er EVO is a new take on a modern classic.

• 29er HT frame with curved top tube looks as fast and sweet as it rides due to its race-optimized 29" geometry and M5 manipulated alloy construction
  • RockShox Reba RLT 29er fork with size-specific travel, rebound/compression adjust, and Floodgate control allows this 29er to soak up rocks like no other
  • DT Swiss 520SL 29" rims are strong enough to handle complex singletrack, yet light enough to make the climb out effortless
  • Both 2Bliss Ready, the S-Works Purgatory 29 x 2.2" front tire is aggressive for varied terrain, and the S-Works The Captain 29 x 2.0" rear tire rolls fast with formidable side knob for traction in turns
  • SRAM's venerable X.0 carbon, short cage rear derailleur is super light and tough, delivering spot-on shifts no matter the conditions
  • e* thirteen XCX 1x10 chainguide to keep chain solidly in place while shifting through 10 speeds

VicnPA   Cross Country Rider [Oct 20, 2014]
Strength:

My 2014 model is simple, solid and fast. Clutched rear derailleur and narrow wide chain ring is silent. The entire spec works well. Even the much maligned brakes have worked well on mine. Very clean look. understated graphics are a nice change.

Rear tire sucks in soft condition and that's about it

The bike has been nothing short of amazing. Fast, light and flickable but really tracks as well as any hard tail can in the rough stuff. It keeps it race geo heritage so it handles fast and predictable, however the addition of the thru axel fork and wider rims/tires really do allow the bike to rip rougher stuff with ease. It's not a race bike, not a full blown trail bike. it can be either though with a few spec changes. Very versatile, solid product. My Large with XT pedals weighs 25lbs on the nose. that's with stock wheel tires and running tubes. If you have the dough. Buy it!!

Similar Products Used: I have owned and ridden 42 mountain bikes.
Mat   Cross Country Rider [Jun 21, 2013]
Strength:

Light, fast, high end componets, "murdered out" look is sweet

Ground control tires are so-so.

God, I love this bike. I moved from a high-end FS 26" to the EVO. I was a bit worried about the 1x10 set up, and the beating I might take from moving back to a hard tail. My fears were put to the side on the very first ride. From the moment I left the parking lot to ride my local trail, I was cleaning stuff I'd never cleaned before.

The bike is light and fast. If you are worried about the EVO setup, this bike rides like a CC racer. The 1x10 was my biggest concern, but it is perfect. I spin out about 22-24mph on the high end and I can can only imagine that a very long sustained climb would leave me wanting more gearing on the low end.

Until you ride the 1x setup, you don't understand how awesome it is. Just a little shift here and there. No rattles, no long shifts, no dropped chains, no problems. And, oh, so quiet! Unreal.

This is my, I don't know, seventh or eighth MTB? After riding for a few months, I don't even remember any other bikes. This one is MY bike. It's amazing. Get it.

tudor   All Mountain Rider [Jan 04, 2013]
Strength:

Ease of maintenance (hardtail plus 1x10 gearing). Stock spec really well thought out. Lightweight yet specced with more robust, more 'all-mountain' components.

Stem too long. Noisy brakes (Avids on 2012 model). Valves and tape (to convert to tubeless) not supplied.

In my opinion, the Specialized EVO HT is a beautiful understated mountain bike and a solid all-round design.

Weighing in a just over 24lbs (in 19.5" large) the EVO flies uphill. And, being a 29er and specced out with several more 'all mountain' orientated components (tires, wheelset and 180mm disc upfront), it handles the rough and descents better than you'd think.

Like most, I was a little concerned about the 1x10's range but it's not been an issue at all, in fact I love the simplicity of having no front derailleur to mess up or adjust.

Out of the box I found very little that needed changing though I have fitted platform pedals and a shorter stem (the stock was 100 mm ...yuck!). I also fitted alligator rotors to cut out Avid brake squeal - this not an issue on the 2013s as they come with Maguras.

Overall, the EVO HT is a great all-mountain hardtail - ideal for someone wanting a lightweight, maintenance-free ride that will handle a surprisingly broad range of terrain and riding styles.

dave   Cross Country Rider [Jan 02, 2013]
Strength:

Carves a trail like a Ginsu knife, light, great brakes and an all around great feel. I only swapped out the OEM Roval wheels and use my Mavic Crossmax's...

Tires could use an upgrade aside form that, nothing....

After selling off an 2010 29er FSR because it was never the right fit or feel, this bike reminds be of a turbo charged version of my 1996 M2, and was well worth waiting to get (picked it up a month ago). Having been mountain biking since '81 and going through an prehistoric SM500 Cannondale, Klein Mountain Elite, Fat Chance's (wicked team issue) and a few others over the years, this is just the next step up the evolutionary mountain bike ladder.

While funds were not ample enough to get this in a carbon frame, one can only imagine what THAT would be like. Lots of miles of smiles. Take a bow Specialized

Rudeboy11   [Dec 30, 2012]
Strength:

Magura breaks are awesome. 1x10 set up is simple and effective. Over all a well rounded bike. Love the murdered out look.

Specialized Ground Control rear and S Works Purgatory front not the best. Very thin side walls, Will be upgrading tires very soon.

This bike is one mean machine. I am very happy with the stock set up minus the tires. If you purchase this bike you will be very satisfied and and for the price you can't go wrong.

Tim   All Mountain Rider [Jul 16, 2012]
Strength:

Geometry, good looks, nice and light, responsive, quality frt fork, 1x10, Sram XO, tubeliss ready tires. Stealthy look with the essentials and no excess garbage. Smooth shifts and a solid feel. All in all a really good component mix.

Pricey for a stripped down thrasher, less parts but more money...;-). Beware of the S-works Purgatory front tire (sidewall is very thin), no tabs on the frame for a chain tensioner (roller). Bad chain slap when the going gets fast and rough, even took out several links in the chain and adjusted the rear derailleur position (understand it's all dependent on rider style, terrain, and gear selection etc.). Brakes are noisy. Low bottom bracket makes for the occasional unexpected pedals hits. Royval Traverse spokes were all pretty loose and noisy out of the box, had to tighten. Grips are much worn after 3 months of hard riding.

All in all this bike is perfect for the XC crowd as its light and fast. Keep the same price point and add a dropper post, welded frame tabs, and the Demo 8 platform pedal (bennies) and for me it would be perfect. I did convert to Stan’s No Tubes with the red rim tape which sealed up right away. I have torn the sidewalls of two front tires the S-Works Purgatory and the Control Purgatory (was running 25 pounds on both occasions). If you plan to ride on the street at all you may consider 2x10 drive train. As always, your bike dealer can make it or break it when it comes to being happy with your purchase so shop carefully and don't be in a hurry.

eganb   Cross Country Rider [Jun 26, 2012]
Strength:

1. Great 29'er geometry, very nimble like a 26 inch bike but rolls over obstacles with little effort. 2. Great components (minus brakes). 3. Sub 25 Lbs with 100mm of travel! 4. 1 X 10 drivetrain is simple and provides all the power necessary for XC/Trail riding. 5. Everything holding up well versus a big guy!(6'2", 215LB) 6. Perfect Trail/XC bike unless conditions include lots of small bumps. 7. Tires are 'tubeless ready' and are wide/burly enough for most normal/wet conditions.

1. Avid brakes are noisy! (supposedly this can be fixed by using organic brake pads). That being said, they still provide great braking power. 2. Tires/rims do not come tubeless ready. 3. Handlebars REALLY wide. (at 6'2", I cut 1.5 inches off the handlebars) 4. Specialized 'pricy' versus competition 5. Seat padding, but that depends on how you ride.

I love this bike (2012 Evo)!! I had a 2011 Rockhopper Expert and, while that bike was excellent, this one fair out-paces it. The Stumpjumper is lighter (sub 25lb in a 21 inch frame), more durable, has better braking and traction than the rockhopper. The 29'er geometry is nimble but still can easily roll over obstacles that my 26'er could not have. It also gives added 'suspension' versus a 26 inch bike. I have put this bike through the worst obstacles I could find (and I am referred to as a rough-on-bikes), and I have had no issues with rims/components/frame. Only issues: the seat (phenom) is very thin if you do not wear bibs, which can wear on you for longer rides. Bike should have come tubeless ready. Brakes are loud. Overall: I couldn't be happier with this bike. It is a great XC/Trail bike, although it might not give you the endurance a full suspension bike might on longer rides, it is perfect for fast and quick laps. In the end of the day I am sure I will end up with a full suspension bike as well, but I will hold onto this bike as my HT.

Similar Products Used: Raleigh Mojave 8.0
Specialized Rockhopper Expert 29er
RCMTB   Cross Country Rider [Jun 03, 2012]
Strength:

Frame, rims, drive-train, 1x10, 29" wheels, low maintenance, decent fork

Rear Hi-Lo hub can go at anytime. Brakes warble horribly.

I bought a 2012 17.5" last April and the bike is perfect for the XC trails I ride in the DC/MD/VA area. This is my first 29er and it just does everything better than a 26HT or 26FS bike making riding even that much more enjoyable. If you're looking for a HT 29er this bike should be on your short list. I sold both my 26HT and 26FS bikes after a month of riding this bike.

Similar Products Used: None
Wesley Rhoads   Racer [May 24, 2012]
Strength:

This bike has many strengths. The first is definitely value. At 2150 You are getting a race ready bike. The next strength is simplicity. With the 1x10 setup there is very little chain slap and you never drop the chain off the front chain ring.

It creaks which is annoying on gravel roads but on the trail it seems to go away.

If you are looking for a bike that you can ride for a long time go with this one. It is simple, lite at 25 lbs, and it is aluminum so you do not have to worry about cracking the frame.

I recommend this bike to anyone, you will not be let down.

FreeridinPhil   [Apr 21, 2012]
Strength:

Absolutely best bike & components for the money. Only 25.04lbs with the stock plastic pedals!! It takes off from underneath you. 2012 model comes with Roval Rims, Fox Float, and X0 rear der. No need to replace tires before riding. Got mine for $1900, literally can't beat that. Its better than the composite XTC, lighter, better components and cheaper. Not to mention the murked out look is beyond sick! I have a Specialized SX Trail also and I was surprised how well this bike launched in the air and tackled any stunts I pointed it at. Unbelievable turning. Also very surprised how well it flies downhill. It'll give you the confidence to climb sections that you didn't think about before. Great geometry, easy to shred on the trail. I think its a crossover of a trail xc/am. Exactly what I was looking for. Great bike. After riding, I would of payed another $500 for it easy. Get it, I promise you won't have any regrets,,sooo fast!

Didn't come with clipless pedals and no quick release seat post clamp. Thats about it!

A freeriders XC dream come true. So glad I went with the hardtail. Pedals so freaking good! Check out the features & components on Specialized.com