Singular Swift 29er Hardtail

The core of the Singular range – a 29” wheeled steel mountain bike frameset for the discerning enthusiast.

• Mountain frame for 29” wheels
  • Eccentric bottom bracket insert
  • Brake and gear cable guides
  • Reynolds 520 steel fork
  • User Reviews (16)

Jaybo   Cross Country Rider [Nov 25, 2013]
    Strength:

Looks
    Ride quality with big tires
    Just fun to ride

Heavy

This bike is my favorite bike among my bikes. It has been used as a cyclocross bike, geared bike, and single speed. Sure it is bit flexy, chunky due to heavy chromoly, and all that but it handles incredibly well. Great bike! Nothing like riding single track on a SS steel bike. Heavenly!

I would give it 4 stars but for the cheap price I can't be too upset about the old school 1'1/8 headtube and more inexpensive steel used. Great bike.

Similar Products Used: Lots of steel
    Mgersib   Racer [Feb 08, 2013]
    Strength:

Ride quality, handling, fit, value, classic looks, paint quality.

Head tube is a bit long in the large size, but not terribly so.

I am positively smitten with my Swift. After spending several seasons on nice Ti hardtails, a return to steel has been a great experience. The Swift feels fast under pedal, but the handling is confident and stable. It easily copes with a wide variety of trail conditions, from smooth, fast and twisty, to rough and rocky, with little drama. It's a great partner to take to the trail.

Similar Products Used: Salsa Ti El Mariachi, Singular Gryphon, Salsa Ti Fargo
    ThreeD   Cross Country Rider [Jan 04, 2012]
    Strength:

1. Looks, it is a very nice looking bike. I love the color. 2. The feel, it is the first all steel bike frame I've ever owned and wish that I hadn't of waited so long to get one. The bike is just a joy to ride and it seems to disappear underneath me when I'm on the trail. I've had people tell me that I ride the bike really well and that it fits me to a tee. It is a large and I'm 6'0" tall and plan on getting another frame to build up geared.

I can't think of any.

Bottom line is....I'd recommend this bike to anyone who wants a ride that is comfortable, cranks up hill, handles the downhills with confidence and is just a great looking bike.

Similar Products Used: none
    tylerschwirtz   Cross Country Rider [Nov 23, 2011]
    Strength:

Rides great, looks great, didn't cost too much!

None so far, after riding a 40 lbs+ DH beast, my Swift feels like a feather

I love this bike! it handles better and climbs better than my 26" FS and does everything better than my 26" HT. It smooths out small stuff on the trail, rolls off larger obstacles, and is always a great ride!

I'm not sure if I'll stick with the SS setup but will keep this bike for a long time.

I have definitely recommended this bike to others.

The only issue I had was in ordering the frame. The Prairie Peddler took forEVER! He kept telling me he was about to ship the frame but it took over 3 weeks after he charged me and multiple emails and phone calls before it was even sent.

Overall, excellent bike, substandard customer service from distributor.

Similar Products Used: This is my first 29, haven't rode rigid since my Trek 820
    D Tope   Cross Country Rider [Aug 18, 2011]
    Strength:

Built to take a beating! Solid welds! Awesome geometry! Can be built up to any spec you desire.

This is one of the best bikes that I have ever owned! It's super fast, roadies always take a second look when I pass them with my 2.1" tires and driving only a single speed. The steel frame is super comfortable on my 50 mile rides on the Rails to Trails Paths. This bike is an all arounder. I can not wait to put multiple gears on it so I can tackle some hilly rides. Did I mention that this bike is SUPER fast.

1x1mtb   Cross Country Rider [Jul 29, 2011]
    Strength:

Fantastic value for the money! I bought just the frame and built the rest up myself. What a frame this is! Every inch of it is pure quality with serious attention to detail. I use mine for everything from quick 2 hour blasts to 2 week epics and it has performed flawlessly every time. I have built up and owned many bikes through the years, but this has to be my favorite by far.

If I had to pick a weakness it would be that the frame is a tad heavy. Not super heavy for a steel frame, but those coming from years with aluminum frames will notice. For me this is not an issue because I too am a tad heavy so having a stronger frame is much appreciated when running rigid with gear! Besides, it is still lighter fully built than my S-Works Enduro!

If your on the fence, buy it! Singular products are fantastic! They have won my devotion with a great product and wonderful costumer service. My next two bikes I have in the works are both planned to be built on Singular frames!

Similar Products Used: Nothing recent, this is my first non-full suspension bike in a while.
    Slackadaisical   Weekend Warrior [Jul 25, 2011]
    Strength:

The great thing about the Singular Swift is it can be run with either an internal gear hub, dérailleur or SS set up [oh look, it’s got a Phil Wood EBB!]. Cable runs are well thought out and the brake guide on the top tube is off set out of the way, to the side meaning the frame can be shouldered and you won’t mangle your undercarriage when you come off [as it were]. The pick up test left me feeling that the frame could be lighter, but the test ride was an eye opener. The bike feels really planted, seems to roll with more purpose than a 26” bike and contrary to received wisdom [being a 29er], it climbs really well. Traction over a variety of surfaces is excellent too. Rarely do I feel the bike ‘let go’ over broken, uneven surfaces. The fork is deceptively well suited to the frame. Running a 180mm disc on a long steel fork means I get pronounced brake judder, although at the same time it does a surprising good job at smoothing out the ride. I considered it a matter of time before fitting a bouncy fork, but considering the quality of ride, my style of riding [ha!] and the lighter front end, I think I’ll keep the supplied fork for the foreseeable future.

I’m going to have to nitpick here. The Swift could be a bit lighter, it would be nice to have a selection of frame colours to choose from and a lugged frame would be absolutely gorgeous. The bike would also cost a lot more. Tire clearance: can you have enough? No. You cannot! Stupid question...sorry! Currently I'm running 2.4" Racing Ralphs mated to a ZTR Flow rims. That’s a fat tire on a wide rim, which gives about 5mm of clearance either side at the back. That’s adequate. However, living in England means it’s inevitable that sooner or later you will start ploughing through sticky, gloopy mud. I really wouldn’t complain if there was a little more daylight to be seen there.

This is quite a lot of bike for the money. Well thought out, well made and well finished, with good attention to detail, i.e. all cabling options, the seat post slot is front facing keeping a lot of mud/grit etc. out and the welds are neat. The biggest revelation has been the way the miles have effortlessly rolled by, whether on trails, sand, un-ploughed fields or road. It’s been a great bike to ride. I can’t think of anything I’d be happier with for the money. If that was not enough Sam at Singular is a lovely chap to deal with. It’s just a question of getting hold of him when he’s not racing or out the country! Other than that, the Swift’s got a proper metal badge, WAHEY!

Similar Products Used: Santa Cruz Chameleon. The same. But different.
    mikebike357   Cross Country Rider [Jun 06, 2011]
    Strength:

Comfortable ride and predictable handling. Well made with a classic paint job. Flexible in that it can be run fully geared or single speed. Phil Wood eccentric bottom bracket high quality. Comes with a rigid fork if you choose to use it.

A little heavy. Fox F29 fork crown knobs don't clear the cable guides on downtube (only an issue if you really wreck). Cane Creek +5mm headset helps with knob clearance. Limited (only one) color choice.

If you want a bike that is comfortable, handles well, looks awesome and doesn't say Trek, Gary Fisher, Niner, Specialized or Giant, look at Singular. The frame is a great $$ value for what you get. Probably spent around $1800 to build it up. Other frames I considered were the Surly Karate Monkey & Vassago Bandersnatch but chose the Singular on value & looks.