SE Racing Stout 29 29er Hardtail

• Headset: Tange 1-1/8" Threadless
  • Stem: SE Alloy MTB, 7 Degree Rise
  • Brake Lever: Tektro 313A 2 Finger Alloy F&R

aim av   All Mountain Rider [Apr 14, 2017]
Strength:

Very strong frame. It's is a big bmx.

Weight, but this thing moves fast no problem.

I have owned a 2011 since they came out. I have crashed it a hundreds of time and barely scratched the paint. I have broken a lot of the original parts but why not upgrade everything. By far my favorite bike in the collection.

the rightful organiser   Cross Country Rider [Dec 09, 2015]
Strength:

stiff rear end is responsive to acceleration, but a drag when trying to accelerate, go up hill

Cannot believe the frame failed at a solder joint!!! Heavy, uncomfortable, abrupt handling

I have been commuting on an SE Stout for about 3.5 years. I tis a 6-7 mile ride each way from Park Slope in Brooklyn, to downtown Manhattan, across the Manhattan bridge. Not many tweaks to this 29er- I added a 9 gear SRAM derailleur and changed the brakes to Avid Disc brakes. It is big and on the heavy side, but a good NYC city ride- safe, resilient and fairly responsive. About 5 weeks ago, I got home and noticed flex in the seat tube. Thinking there was a loose part I checked it and found the frame had cracked at the solder joint. I immediately contacted both SE bikes, and the dealer. SE states in their website that they offer a lifetime warrantee on their bikes. I have been in contact with the dealer (who clearly describes their role as facilitator of the warranty with the manufacturer). SE bikes dropped communications with me after 2 weeks. I have experienced nothing but radio silence from them. They requested photos, including serial number, as well as contact with the dealer. I provided all of the above. The dealer says they are also waiting for a response from SE bikes.
At this point it seems that SE bikes is trying to weasel out of the warrantee. No answer, no reply to my weekly emails. Is there anything I can do to get SE to honor the warrantee? I find this outrageous that a lifetime warrantee is meaningless when clearly confronted with a faulty product.

Similar Products Used: Salsa, Specialized, Gary Fisher,
TFTRL   Weekend Warrior [Sep 06, 2013]
Strength:

Made of steel, and combined with the 29er wheels it's very forgiving for a rigid bike. Love the Geometry of the 15" model as it's very flickable and makes it easy and fun to bunny hop and land into short manuals, like a big BMX/Mountain bike! I'm actually fit for a more medium size but this bike has been stemmed out to fit me. I actually love the comfort of the seat as well. The Tektro brakes will stop on a dime...so long as they don't get too wet mind you. It's very nimble in the twisty sections and feels as good as the 26ers I've had as far as that goes.

No longer made and will be near impossible to replace if it gets stolen or in a bad wreck of some kind. Also, the ONLY issue thus far I've had is about once every time I've ridden it on the trials the chain or something will "clunk". The shop thought it was a loose chain and we replaced with another single speed specific chain. It was all good for two hard rides but came back on the third ride. We re-tightened chain figuring it just got a little slack from the new break in. Again, was fine for another ride, but happened again just today. Maybe the hub? I'll have it inspected again soon. It's minor but this is the "weakness" section and nothing is perfect in this world.

I LIKE this bike so damn much! It literally is the first mountain bike I've had that has truly inspired my riding. I ride now more than ever. I've owned the following bikes and this is thee best most connected I've ever been with a bike. My model is the 2011 version by the way.

2007 Raleigh XXIX singel speed rigid

Rocky Mountain with front suspension (can't recall exact model but was in the $1000 price range)

Giant STP

2010 Raleigh Talus 29er Sport

Giant Yukon (dual suspension model)

Also have owned BMX bikes but figured they don't apply other than as I previously mentioned the 15" Stout has a BMX-like geometry. Actually more dirt jump/street park geometry. Reminds me of my 26" Giant STP which was awesome fun but not so good on the trails as the Stout has been. The Stout is rigid and although it's forgiving on the body due to the steel and 29" wheels (keep tire pressure a little pillowy), you still need to relax on it over rooty sections or your vision will bounce. Keeping your body relaxed makes a huge difference on a rigid bike.

I can go on but suffice to say...my bike is a keeper and I've no interest in other bikes for the foreseeable future.

TallChris   Cross Country Rider [Mar 12, 2012]
Strength:

Simplicity, sturdiness. Surprisingly good v-brakes! Comfy seat that doesn't look like a gel pillow.

Tough to keep headset tight, 32x18 gearing is a bit steep on elevation for someone like me just returning to biking.

This bike offers a wonderful alternative to costly, time-consuming and frequent maintenance to which I'd grown accustomed on my previous FS 26er (Trek Fuel 100). It allows me to focus on the fun of riding, which I'd lost sight of on my Trek. I knew I wanted a singlespeed after I tried a friend's 'cog and fell in love with it within the first 50 yards of riding. Just spool up the speed and coast.

I scored a deal on this Stout after patiently looking on craigslist (via searchtemptest.com); it had never seen dirt. I will be changing the gearing to something more reasonable for the time being. It's built sturdy enough for singletrack and is equally at home just fooling around the neighborhood riding with my kids. It's a fun bike to ride and surprisingly it hasn't hurt my lower back (thank you, core exercises) even on seriously rooty singletrack. Looking for a diversion or lost the fun of mountain biking? Get one.

Similar Products Used: Redline Monocog
fromthecoast   Weekend Warrior [Jul 31, 2011]
Strength:

Seems to be very, well, Stout and beefy. Rides very comfortably.

When upgrading to disc brakes, the v-brake mounts are pretty ugly looking. Bike is heavy out of the box at just under 30#, easily will get higher if you convert to geared and add bigger tires, etc.

This bike is a good value. My wheels do need to be trued and possibly dished, but they are not unrideable out of the box by any means, just not perfect. Components seem to be pretty beefy and better than what you would expect at this price point. Not necessarily nimble, but will make a very nice and stable trail platform that should take plenty of abuse. Good intro to 29" bikes

MyMilkExpired   Weekend Warrior [Jun 03, 2011]
Strength:

The frame is outstanding. Steel is real as the saying goes.

Wheelset... They need to be trued and dished out of the box. The only other complaints I can come up with are:
- Front wheel alignment when tightening down the nuts. I constantly have problems with the wheel alignment slipping which forces me to re-tighten the wheel or adjust my front disc alignment.
- Rear disc brake tab is thin and causes problems with the install bolts included with BB7 brakes. You'll have to shim the bolt out or buy shorter bolts.

Its a great bike for 300-400 dollars. Riding this buy made me want to buy a Canfield Nimble 9, so I did.

miices   Weekend Warrior [Mar 28, 2011]
Strength:

Strong, decently light frame.
It's worth upgrading to some extent.
Comfortable geometry.
Rims

Front fork or headset is unbelievably weak, it flexes an obvious inch under braking.
Single-speed is for hipsters.
Seat took some getting used to.
Brakes are crap, one drop of water and it's a deathtrap.

I bought this bike from jenson when they were trying to clear them out, i picked it up for $275 plus some shipping. I bought it because my other bike was stolen, and I would still enjoy permanently maiming the person who stole it.

Anyways this bike is great, I use it for commuting to school and for the occasional XC or singletrack riding. And as I have stated before the drivetrain is already a 9-speed, I was just spinning through the single-speed, it was geared to low even for climbing (32t in front and 16t in back). It was something I planned on upgrading, so I can't complain.

The front fork or headset, I haven't figured out which. Is extremely weak, if I had the money I would replace the fork and headset. The full rigidity of the bike doesn't bother me, I am afraid I am going to snap this bike in half.

The brakes aren't much to poke a stick at, but they are rim brakes I didn't expect much. Just need to change the pads out for something from Oregon.

I also think the rear hub is wearing out, sometimes under power it clicks before it locks. Kind of worries me that there is a defect in the cassette holder (spindle? I don't know what it's called).

Bottom line is:
This bike is an amazing deal for the money, but you get what you pay for. Some of the parts aren't the best, but I do trust the frame and frame maker. And its an upgradable frame to do like most cyclists who maintain their own bikes. If it breaks, fix it; and if you don't like it, change it.

Similar Products Used: 2003 Specialized hardrock sport, added marzzochi bomber z1 fr sl 130mm fork (this fork kicks the $#!% out of any fox fork I have used), bb7's, and some random rims. Unfortunately this bike was stolen from me.
DanMach86   Weekend Warrior [Feb 21, 2011]
Strength:

Amazing value
Flexibility(1x9, SS)
Very plush steel frame
Decent looks

Stock brake setup is weak
Paint is not that amazing
Rear triangle's brake mount requires spacers

I bought this bike on a whim when I was stuck in chicago on business for 2 months. It sat at home while I was out traveling until I got home. Once I assembled it I knew it was a good frame and design. I got it onsale at jenson's for about 350 or so because I am short(5'8) and the 15" frame was the best size for me. It has a very cush ride for being fully rigid. I never really notice I am on a rigid.. even when doing some 1 foot drop stair cases and the like. The first mod I did was to add BB7's and thank god I did.

Giving its fully rigid nature I can't just fly off ledges at speed and drop 4 feet without wiping out(more of a personal issue) and the v-brakes would not be able to slow me down. Over all though, for the value it is amazing. I leave my roommate behind on the uphill portions all the time and I am barely behind him downhill, he has a 4" FS bike.

I recommend it.

Similar Products Used: Rockhopper
mcbrain   Weekend Warrior [Feb 07, 2011]
Strength:

Price, good frame design, front fork tracking and stiffness.

Brakes, headset, pedals

The SE Stout was my recent re-entry into mountain biking.I am pleased with the bike and how it performs. For my money you can get the Stout, upgrade it a little bit, and have a respectable bike. I would not get disc brakes for it. In my mind they are an unnecessary upgrade and they leave your bike looking pretty terrible with the canti bosses still on the frame and fork. Avid S.D. 7's work great, and are cheaper, and weigh less. I have heard of some people having some quality issues, I have not experienced this. My bike is fine. Considering I have spent more money on a BMX bike in the '80's than I did on this mountain bike, I am pretty happy. Buy this bike if you want a good starting point and want to upgrade later or just a fun single speed to thrash around on.