SE Racing BM Flyer 29er Hardtail

Frame: 7005 AluminumTubing w/ Integrated Head Tube
Fork: CR-MO 1-1/8"

[Oct 27, 2009]
Xterradork

Strength:

great price, solid frame. Disc ready out of the box. Simple, strong, lighter than expected

nutted hub on front wheel is painful to replace wheel with disc brakes. seatpost too short,

The 2009 model is called the Stout. This is my first singlespeed and first 29er. The ride is very smooth. Big tires absorb more bumps than I thought with a rigid fork. SS riding is addictive. Overall the quality of the bike is good, the price is great. The only real complaint is the nutted front wheel hub. Not too many vehicles can fit the bike inside without removing the front wheel and it is a pain to get back in place. Also not thrilled about carrying a 15mm wrench when I ride in case of a flat. Otherwise great for someone wanting to try out SS/29er without breaking the bank. The ability to add gears later is a very nice feature. Would give 5 chilis overall if the front wheel was QR.

N/A

[Aug 03, 2009]
mlk3454

Strength:

Tough frame, geared right for the areas rolling hills, disc and derailleur ready, low price, 29" wheels

hubs are not disc ready, nano raptors are better on the road than on the loose trail, if you plan on using this as a commuter on more flat roads you will make out at roughly 13-14mph peddling pretty fast

The Stout is a tough bike and at this price point is hard to beat. It is ready for upgrades if so desired and can tackle most anything you throw at it. It isn't the most popular bike as SE pushes more of their BMX line but this will turn heads in the parking lot and will eat whatever you throw at it.

This is my first single speed and first 29er

[Oct 02, 2006]
Ben

Strength:

(2005 model) Lightweight, geometry spot on, disc ready, cool name, decent parts, incredible value

not everything optimized for SS: vertical dropouts, bad stock gearing, poor quality chain tensioner, dished wheel. Also, bb/cranks use a proprietary spline, and the graphics are too loud for some people.

More bike than you can get for the price anywhere else. The 29" wheels and geometry are spot on to deliver a ride just as good or better than my hardtail 26". At about $180 less than the Redline Monocog 29er, you get the same experience with some inferior design.

Unfortunately, since it is set up like a conversion from a geared bike, a lot of the parts are not optimal for SS. Still, it's a great value, especially if you want a cheap bike to convert to a geared rear.

As a side note: although not available in the US, the 2006 model has track ends but loses the disc mounts.

Fisher Piranha

[May 24, 2006]
George Seibel

Strength:

Fun, Robust

No complaints here.

I rode it on a whim while at the bike shop and fell in love. The big wheels are a gas. I put gears on it, but to tell you the truth, I'm considering going back to single speed because I like the toughness and simplicity. Other reviewers mentioned the weight, but I don't find that to be a problem. I got it really cheap because the frame was scratched. $279 before I added the extra parts. What a deal! One of the reasons I bought it was to encourage myself to get more off the trail, and it has. The geometry and big wheels are pretty confidence inspiring.

Trek 3500

[May 21, 2006]
Danno

Strength:

Burly. Nearly impossible to break. No bunk parts, even the stock tires (Kenda Klaws) are decent. Fun geometry: short top tube, short stem, big riser bars. My red 2005 came with disc hubs...the rear is a regular cassette with spacers, and the frame has all cable stops, disc tabs, and hydro guides, so you can gear it or disc it with no problem.

Heavy, almost 28 pounds.
Stock gearing is 41-18, which is only usable on flat pavement. It uses BMX cranks, so just get yourself a 28-32T chainwheel (depending on local hills) and you'll be good to go.
Racer types will hate the geometry.

A great technical terrain play bike, and a blast to ride. Other people might go faster, but you'll have more fun.

uh, lots of bikes

[Jul 25, 2006]
Mik

Strength:

2005 model is well built. Light weight, solid ride. No shock fork failure here. One speed and I can pace most other riders.

The allen crank bolts should be hex bolts. Riding without hands is a task even for me. I would beef up the rims a bit. No room for "U" Lock, no mounts for water bottle. :)

You are "thirty something" and want the freestyle/BMX bike you yurn for from your youth. This is it. Fun on the street, at the skatepark(really)and for off road shenanigans. Skip the extra gears and go for solid axels and some foot pegs and an odessey GYRO.

The 2006 model swaps aluminum forks for cro-mo(think less shock) also changes out the rear dropouts for some forkends to tighten the chain and straightened the seat tube. I don't like the blue color and the website last I checked stated 2006 model not available in US.
SO get the 2005 model at a discount and it's red to boot!

Pacific MTB, Giant MTB, HARO FS and many others.

[Oct 23, 2007]
CSXer

Strength:

STRONG, price, great geometry when set up right.

Comes spec'ed with wrong stem, cheap freewheel, too small front 'ring.

My review is for the Stout, which is what they call the BM Flyer now. I really like this bike. Ditch the XC stem and put a short, low rise BMX stem on there and feel the difference. You'll want different gearing and better brakes pretty quickly. I'm about to replace the freewheel because of the corny OEM. Super underrated bike!

GF, Redline, OnOne

[Apr 30, 2006]
Seth

Strength:

Lots of fun, fairly light aluminum frame and fork, bombproof frame, fork, crank and wheels, simplicity, disc ready, 29" wheels, single speeding is just plain fun.

Short top tube, I don't need 36 hole wheels, little on the heavy side.

The bike is tons of fun and you cant break it. I love the simplicity of single speeds and this one is no exception. I do quite a bit of mountain bike racing and of course this isn't an ideal racing bike, the top tube is too short and its really just a big kids bmx bike. Its great to train on and being disc ready is a big plus. I bought it as a starter 29er to see if I would like it and if performed flawlessly. I'll be upgrading to a more raceable 29er soon.

Redline Monocog, Fisher Mt. Tam SS.