Scott Scale 970 29er Hardtail

• Frame: SCOTT Scale 29 Alloy 6061
  • Fork: Suntour XCR 29 LO / Coil Spring
  • Headset: Ritchey OE 1 1/8"
  • Shifters: Shimano DeoreSL-M591-10
  • Brake Levers: Shimano BL-M395 Disc
  • Handlebar: Syncros FL2.5 Tbar

Rick Wayne   [Aug 30, 2014]
Strength:

Stiff frame, agile handling yet stable in the downhill rough, superb climber, remote fork lockout

Pedals merely adequate, fashionably-wide handlebar is too wide

I am in love.

My previous MTB was a 1999 Gary Fisher Kaitai, great bike for the day but now the same money (adjusted for inflation) buys you INCREDIBLY more bike! I grabbed mine at REI for 20% off -- sorry, they're sold out now -- and have regretted my choice not one millisecond. I needed an all-rounder that I could commute on, but would be "no excuses" on singletrack, and this sweet thing knocks both jobs right out of the park.

Beg to differ with you other big guys, but I'm 200+ pounds too and still new enough to this bike that I tend to drop gingerly off multi-foot obstacles, rather than flying off level. So I'm pounding right onto the front wheel time and again... never a doubt, much less a problem. I thought the remote lockout rather gimmicky until I tried it, I now lock out to climb little rocky, rooty pitches that would never let me take my hand off the bar to hit a fork-crown actuator. So for me the remote means the difference between using the lockout (which frequently furnishes the stay-on-the-bike margin) and not.

I read a review on a UK site that said this bike climbs "like a rat up a drainpipe", and I have to concur. I notice a HUGE difference in my riding, I can now scurry up pitches that would have punted me off the bike previously. (Once I actually get good, man, we're really gonna have something. :-) ) This bike really seems to hit the center of the envelope for me, I can get forward enough to keep the front wheel on the ground, back far enough to keep from spinning the rear, and still have a little reserve of maneuverability.

The pedals...bleh. They've held up OK so far but they're certainly not specced like the rest of the bike. Even some toe clips would be welcome, I've blown my foot off a pedal a couple of times when I really would rather have not. And what's with these B-17-wingspan handlebars? 700mm? Seriously? On my ride today I had to bob and weave a couple times just to fit them between trees, thank goodness I don't have bar-ends on 'em or I'd be petrified about hooking a tree and that would be that. I found the stock saddle a little too narrow and hard for my ancient fanny, so I swapped in a WTB from a previous bike that has a more-exaggerated center channel and just a hint more cush. That was enough.

Rides very similarly IMHO to a Trek X-Caliber 8, which has SRAM X5/X7 instead of Shimano Deore and a RockShox instead of the Suntour, but lacks the remote lockout.
Overall, this is just a solid, agile, rugged sweetheart with no bad habits, uphill or down.

Issi Doron   Weekend Warrior [Jul 06, 2014]
Strength:

Weight, price, performance

None so far.

Thus is my first experience with mtb. Chose this bike after reading many reviews. After one month I can say they stand up to my expectations. I truly enjoy them and my performance and ability jumped significantly.

Ian   [May 23, 2014]
Strength:

frame stiffness
agility
stock components (except the front fork)
monsters through rough terrain.
very stable bike
lightweight 29er, one of the lightest actually.

the front fork is as soft and squishy rotten banana. I weigh around 210, and i can easily bottom it out with a solid push on flat ground.
seat isn't comfortable, but w/e, i don't sit that often

The front fork does have lockout, and with the lockout engaged the bike is very agile and handles wonderfully. without it engaged, though, the fork totally wants to throw you over the handle bars. also maybe this obvious, but upgrade the pedals. the stock ones are pathetic. I recommend VP-69's, they grip like tape.

Jason   Cross Country Rider [Aug 26, 2013]
Strength:

Climbs like a Mountain Goat, excellent on gravel roads and wide clay/metal forestry roads. It also howls downhills if you are brave.
Excellent Shimano Deore Brakes and shifters. Rocket Ron Tyres perfect,. Super stiff frame. Good wheel set. Shimano Octalink Cranks absolutely fine.

Front Fork is heavy at 2.6 kilos and to be perfectly honest is terrible on technical single track, it wants to hurl you over the handle bars as soon as you do even a moderate drop.

I purchased this bike as I wanted to sample a 29er but not spend piles of money. I would have to say this Bike is fantastic value for money and it rides very well.
I recently raced it in 50klm gravel road type event with 1260m of elevation gain and was 10 minutes faster than on my normal ride which is a Pivot Mach 5 Trailbike. This could also be because I was a bit lazy the last time I did the event!

If I keep the Scott the front fork will be replaced with a Rockshox Recon Gold.

Andre Castro   [Aug 05, 2013]
Strength:

The weight, cost and stiffness of the frame.

The weight of the fork, crankset, saddle.

Very good option.