Salsa Cycles Timberjack 29er Hardtail

Timberjack is aluminum hardtail mountain bike that’s equally at home pushing the limits on singletrack or bikepacking to places you’ve yet to discover. Timberjack features fast-handling geometry, and clearance for either 29” or 27.5+ wheels and tires. Super short chainstays aid in nimble scrambling; up, down, and in and out of turns. Alternator Dropouts facilitate diverse drivetrain setups and emergency ‘just gotta get back to the trailhead’ gearing.

Bradym77   [Mar 07, 2018]
Pros: Great price for a great stock setup. Best setup out of almost all plus hard tails in this price range
Cons: Brakes. The level brakes are not even half as good as my old XT's.
Price: -   New/Used: New   Model Year: 2017
SCR818   All Mountain Rider [Jul 25, 2017]

INCREDIBLY adaptable frame with perfect geometry

Lousy, low end component spec. I believe that this was done to save money but the parts are so weak/heavy/cheap that you might as well just buy the frame-only and build it up the way you want it. Fragile paint finish (dark blue). It's beautiful but it scratches and scuffs very easily. For these reasons, I gave it a 3 flamin' chillis Value Rating.

I am having so much fun on this bike (frame)! I bought it (entire bike) used a some months back and stripped it of the low end components. Salsa is very popular for their Alternator drop out kits. This frame is adaptable to use 135/142/148 rear axle widths with a simple change to the appropriate drop outs. The geometry is spot on with 68 degrees HTA using a 120mm travel fork. It can be used with up to 130mm travel fork without voiding the frame warranty. Solid feel, confidence inspiring. I ride it like I ride my full suspension bike. It eats up the trails. I rate it as a great "light duty AM HT frame". The internal cable routing is a great feature, too. Compatible with 27.5+ or 29er wheels.