Rocky Mountain Vertex 29 29er Hardtail

Oversized tubing. All tubes are larger diameter than our prior Vertex frames for increased stiffness without the weight penalty. Tapered head tube. Larger frames tend to be flexy at the front end. By using a tapered head tube ( 1-1/8” at the top and 1-1/2” at the bottom) we are able to make the front end of the Vertex 29 stiffer and stronger. The tapered head tube allows for a wider down tube at the head tube joint which helps to laterally stiffen the front end of the frame without increasing the tube thickness.

Adventure Dan   [Jun 16, 2014]
Strength:

Quick handling, stiff making it a good climber.

Brake noise_ Finally solved

Updated review. Have changed to carbon seatpost and carbon handlebar, 1 x 10 with a set of Sun Black Flag Pro wheels.

Handling is quick. Great for tight single track but you need to keep a minimum speed. Too low speed, and the bike becomes nervous causing handling issues. Love the 1 x 10 set for the hard packed trails I ride in southern Ontario. Run a narrowwide Raceface chainring with a Sram type 2 medium cage X9 rear derailler. Never dropped a chain.

Brakes were loud from the start. Changed the pads for Brake authorities and managed to quiet the front, but not the back. I finally solve the back brake squeal but replacing the Formula brake hanger with an Avid I had lying around. The Formula hanger was not square and causing the brake to squeal.

Bike is still too fast for me.

Dan   Cross Country Rider [Jun 11, 2013]
Strength:

Frame stiffness and vertical compliance. Very quick handling

Brakes. Formulas are on or off. Poor modulation.

I have been riding 29ers since 2008. This bike handles like a 26" wheeled bike. Climbing on this bike requires proper weight transfer to maximize traction. Downhill steering is precise but quick. This is a true XC racing machine. Not a moving couch. You need to be fully attentive to stay on the trail. Low speed handling is tricky. Bike begs to go fast and will push you to comply. When not racing or riding with fast buddies, this bike has to stay home. Riding it slow is not an option. If you are looking to race, this is your ride. More vertical compliance than aluminium frames. Purchased after breaking a Scandium 29er frame, and can ride longer with less lower back stress.
Components are good, internal cable routing is easy. DT swiss wheels are OK. Converted to tubeless easily with Specialized tires. After 3 month of riding, they need minor truing.
Comfortable saddle.

If you want a XC race bike, this is the one to purchase. If you are planning on marathon racing and long rides, be mindfull that this is a fast reacting ride that can be a challenge as you get tired and are not as attentive.

Similar Products Used: Misfit Dissent SS, Titus RacerX 29, Kona Kula 29
jeff   [Apr 29, 2013]
Strength:

bike gears shifts smooth and brakes very strong

handle bars didn't like how they felt and colour is a bit odd, need to up grade tires, its abit on the heavy side

very balance roll over anything turns wit ease

Brian   All Mountain Rider [Nov 06, 2012]
Strength:

Light, design absorbs trail shock without sacrificing rigidity. Cost effective alt to the big three and a decent build.

Cant seem to get the brakes to "break in" . Still rough when breaking hard. Have had them apart twice now. The stop great but just very loud and sounds like you are down to the metal. Will have to take the bike down the slopes before winter sets in. Wish it was fabricated in the US or Canada.

First carbon HT, took a ride on a carbon Stumpy, Santa Cruz Highboy and a Giant. For the buck and ride I thought this was the best pick. It rides aggressively so you want to go fast, sometimes too fast. The bike seems to want to stick to the ground and locks into the corners. On most of the local trails you finding yourself always wanting to push yourself harder. The bike just asks for it. I ride this with my race pals so it isn't the primary ride but it is fun to take out here and there for sure. I am still a little hesitant to get a carbon HT bike too far in the air for fear of the obvious. We'll see.

Keiran   [Oct 26, 2012]
Strength:

The power to weight ratio for climbing bad x country. Also still nimble and agile to throw anywhere. Had a 2010 giant trance x2 found it a complete slug. I just love riding this now.

Width of bars - will take an inch or so off before long.

Just rode yesterday over some mighty tough terrain rocks, water, sand, hills, down hill, etc. and the bike was magnificent!!

Malo   [Aug 04, 2012]
Strength:

Climbs extremely well, feels good and direct

Sram shifters, X7 feels cheap and difficult to shift to a bigger gear, as if the spacing of the two levers aren't correct. The Easton Handlebar, although similar to most other low range builds, feels strange, riser bar in my opinion would have been a good option.

Enjoying the bike, feels good, climbs well. Good value for money, compared to other bikes in this price range seems to be on par. Like the decals and paintwork, much better quality frame and finish than what I have seen on rivals in my opinion. Will probably change over the Sram shifters with Shimano when I have some cash.

NZAndyB   Racer [Jul 22, 2012]
Strength:

OMG the frame! A load of vertical compliance, incredibly laterally stiff, handling so precise it can be ridden while asleep.
Great value for money!

Comes with a 0 degree stem which made the setup on my (17'') a little difficult. Not a huge fan of the DT swiss rims, they are a solid product but not particularly stiff for the relatively hefty weight of them.

Love at first ride! I spent an hour or so on a demo 970RSL and in that time my mountain biking world completely changed. I'm not unfamiliar at all to 29rs, having ridden and raced both full suspension and hardtail bikes from Trek, Cannondale, Giant, Specialized and Niner. But this bike is an epiphany, a religious experience, like winning the lottery while losing your virginity. Sure it doesn't feel twenty-niner'y like say a Trek Superfly, and unlike a Niner rip 9 it isn't much like a Sofa. It just goes FAST, mind blowingly fast. Compared to a Cannondale flash ultimate this feels like it has twice the vertical compliance, it feel twice as stiff, and it handles twice as well. The 'unusually' slack headtube angle as matched to very short wheelbase is like the Rosetta stone of 29r geometry, the ceiling of my personal bike handling ability got blown right off.... In some ways at first I hated this bike because it left me feeling like a terrible rider, no matter what I did the bike just had no limits and I am (still) slowing IT down.

Simply if you can't afford the 990, buy the 970.

Similar Products Used: Trek Superfly, Trek Superfly 100, Cannondale Flash 29r, Trek Hi-Fi, Specialized Epic 29r, Giant Anthem 29, Niner Rip 9....
Comanche   Racer [May 16, 2012]
Strength:

The geometry, through axles, BB92.

Loss of "monster truck" feel found on most 29er bikes.

I first rode this bike as a demo, and instantly fell in love. I was riding a Niner Air 9, and I have to say this bike feels different than any other 29er hardtail I have ridden. The shorter chain stays and overall wheel base make this feel more like a 26" bike. The flattened seat stays, and 27.2mm post, do an amazing job of damping out the bumps and providing vertical compliance. The 15mm front axle combined with the 12 x142 rear and BB92 bracket make this bike uber stiff laterally. It does not waver while blasting through rock gardens, and rockets out of turns. I am a pro mtb racer in CO, and I cannot imagine riding anything else. However, part of the appeal of 29ers is the feeling of being able to roll over everything. The longer wheel base and lower bottom bracket found on other bikes probably appeal to a wider audience. But if you plan on racing this is the ticket.

Similar Products Used: Niner Air 9
aaron weiss   [May 15, 2012]
Strength:

this is an update to a previous review. everything I said earlier still stands. the update comes after my first race on the bike

nada

I used this bike in a race I have done for 5-6 years now and wanted to update on how it handled in a race situation and the differences I experienced. On the same course I was able to take almost 4 mins off of my best time for the same number of laps. I have not been riding more, not been focusing on training more, in fact....I have had more travel for work and expected the times to be the same or worse. My lap times were more consistent and I felt no problems (body wise) from the hardtail over a 3 hr race with 1733m of climbing. I am very impressed with the bike and find it hard to dispute the benefits of the 29 inch wheels

50ale   Cross Country Rider [Apr 09, 2012]
Strength:

AGILITY!

NONE SO FAR

This is the first 29er I have owned. I am normally a full suspension 26" rider. I just got off of a 2011 Scott Spark RC, to give you an idea of my other ride. This is also my first hardtail, and trust what you have read about a 29er hardtail being a sweet ride I have rode other 29ers, and been disappointed with the lazy steering. NOT this bike. It took no time at all to become accustomed to the Vertex 990. This thing feels every bit as agile (or better) than my 26" bikes. Rocky Mountain has worked magic with this bike. I can't wait to try the Element.

Weights without pedals;