Rocky Mountain Soul 29 29er Hardtail

Based in Vancouver, British Columbia, Rocky Mountain has been producing bikes forThe past 27 years. Rocky Mountain produces some ofThe best bikes onThe market because Their engineers actually ride.They aren’t pushing out hundreds ofThousands of bikes a year;Therefore,They reallyTakeTheirTimeTo make sureThat every bike is ofThe upmost quality. If you’re lookingTo start mountain biking onThe weekendsThe Soul 29 is a great option. Rocky Mountain has created a 29” bike with

Josh   Cross Country Rider [Jan 04, 2013]
Strength:

- The lockout shocks are killer and make this bike crazy versatile.
- This bike is solid, stays in tune long and the ride is always smooth.

- Heavy back end.
- Upgrading the derailer was a good choice.
- Saddle didn't prove too strong. Bent after a few spills. However I haven't replaced it so its still functional.

I've outfitted mine with a jumper set-up and switch out the 29s for 26s depending on what I'm riding. With it's small frame, the 26s make it feel like a whole new bike, which means for the price of one great mountain bike I also get a great jumper when I need. Add the lockout shocks make riding to the jumps a lot easier too. This bike is great for anyone who needs a solid bike for everything. At a reasonable price you can ride any terrain and feel fully equipped for it.

Similar Products Used: Norco Sasquatch Jumper (much heavier and very loose ride by comparison)
Beefsupreme99   [Oct 16, 2012]
Strength:

Solid bike all around, better components than most for the price. Hydrualic brakes work great and all around great bike. I'm 200 miles in and no malfunctions or epuipment failures.

Gears seem slow on climbs, but with better timing I've had no issues. Rear end feel heavy.

Great bike, would recommend this bike to anyone.

Mike   Cross Country Rider [May 15, 2012]
Strength:

I was looking for a big-wheeled bike that travelled reasonably fast on paved portions and strong enough to handle cross-country single tracks as I live in the city but am about 7-8km from cross-country trails - a distance I'd rather ride out to than drive. (In a mountain bike with big fat tires that 7km ride can become a pretty long ride). I tried out a lot of 29ers in the $1200 to sub $1000, ie entry-level 29ers. This includes Konas, Trek, Specialized models. Ride characteristics amongst all of them are very similar - big wheels make the ride more comfortable. However this bike suprised me in one respect - it is able to turn very tight for a 29er. It turns about as tight as my 26" mountain bike. That shocked me. It was the best amongst the brands I tried. Kona Splice (the lightest) and Specialized Karve are a bit lighter than Soul. Typically I would take lighter weight over handling but in a big wheel bike, the extra 2-3 lbs to get the better handle is a good trade off as I'm not planning on riding too many ups and downs but rather flat single tracks.

a bit heavier than some competitors

Best handling amongst 29ers. That's worth the extra 2lbs. MSRP should be $800 not $650 as this is a 29er, not the 26" model.

Similar Products Used: Kona, Trek, Specialized
Michael   [Apr 19, 2012]
Strength:

Great bike good for the price. It's a nice light. Frame compared to most in its class. Components are spectacular for the price you pay I've been shopping around a lot and I don't think I could find a bike around where I live with the bang for your buck. Great trail rider go almost everyday, grips roots and loose dirt like a champ after I changed the tires. Plus high quality hydrolic brakes makes sure you can stop in time. I raced this bike against full suspension 1500$ bikes and came in 3rd its amazing.

Stock tires the kenda small block 8 tires are good for summer or dry climates in the spring with all of the wet ground and roots you can be very nervous when taking sharp corners. I upgraded to WTB Velociraptor 29ers there very grippy and get the Job done but sacrifice the rolling. But when they start wearing out they still keep there grip and pick up speed. Also in Canada where I baught this bike it went for 849.99 plus tax

Great bike for the buck and honestly can't beet it

jeharris44   Cross Country Rider [Jan 08, 2012]
Strength:

The bike has a very solid feel and handles well. I really enjoy the natural stance that the bike cause you to ride in. It is a bit more aggressive and causes out to stretch out over the handle bars which I really enjoy. I bought the bike on craigslist and it had only been ridden twice. It is highly upgraded so not sure on the base components.

I do not have a ton of complaints but I do have two: the rear end is heavy and the rear derailer is slow and doesn't shift well going up hill.

I love the bike.

phosphaterider   Weekend Warrior [Sep 19, 2011]
Strength:

A great bike with good components for the money. Also, carries a boutique name that you don't see everyday.

A bit heavy for an xc bike, but not a big deal since I am 250 plus rider.

If you are looking for a 29er on a budget than this is the bike for you! I am very impressed with the components that came stock with the bike. The only thing I plan on changing out is the fork which is not that bad, but is a little heavy. The frame seems very strong and has great geometry! I highly recommend this bike if you are looking for a 29er under $800.

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher Rig, Gary Fisher Marlin 29er, Stumpjumper Comp FSR
Oldfatbaldguy   Weekend Warrior [Jul 10, 2011]
Strength:

Name brand with strong brand identity, (locally uncommon). Fit and finish (small details) stronger than more commonly available brands. For most sizes Rocky's seem to "stretch" the rider a bit more than others...makes the bike feel like more of "riders" bike vs a more upright "comfort" bike. That fact alone allowed these old bones to cover about 10% more ground for an given fatigue level compared to my other bikes.

Slightly higher price than TrekDiamomdbackGiant

If price is the only concern, any cheaper bike will do fine. Sometimes even an entry-level bike CAN have a few detail aesthetic touches normally found on higher-priced bikes. Those were important to me.

Similar Products Used: Only test-driven other 29'ers.