Rocky Mountain Hammer 29 Geared 29er Hardtail

• Handlebar: Race Face Ride XC low rise 31.8mm 660mm
  • Brakes: Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc

[Oct 12, 2011]
Ganze

Strength:

great quality, good angles, strong but reynolds 725 takes the edge off

none really

I most often ride urban/skatepark on another bike so it took me a few rides to get the ebb set at the correct position for my kind of off road riding. The ebb position that works the best for me is way forward and up at about the 2 o'clock position. That puts good weight on the front, gets me above the frame so I can move around a bit and makes the bike turn better/quicker. Once I did that, the thing rides like a magic carpet. This is my long distance adventure/epic machine and it's the kind of bike a guy could ride around the world on.

lotsa bikes

[Dec 04, 2010]
AK47

Strength:

Solid stock build, great trailbike feel in a hardtail, upright geo makes it a blast to ride and very comfortable, comfy steel frame, great welds, Fox F29 fork is great, two bikes in one with ability to go geared or singlespeed

Handlebar could be a touch wider, sort of heavy wheels + tires

I demo'ed this bike at the 2009 MBO Oregon event and was impressed then. Now that I have really spent some time on it, I really, really like it. The bike is so solid it just rails over almost everything. The upright geo makes for a very comfortable, confidence inspiring ride. I've never ridden a 29er with this type of geo, and I love it. It takes a bit more time to build up to speed compared to other 29er's I have ridden and own (Salsa Dos Niner), but the overall ride is so sweet. It reminds me of the geo on my RM Altitude 5.5" 26er FS.

The stock build is solid, and the Deore shifters and front deraileur work better than I expected. I will use them until they stop working.

The stock tires and wheels are ok, but a bit porky. After going to the Stan's wheelset with a tubeless set-up, I'm pretty much done upgrading. That took it from 29lbs to 27lbs and I'm happy the way it rides at this weight. I would prefer a bit wider handlebar, but it's ok.

Definitely my favorite hardtail 29er I have ever ridden!

Kona Unit 2-9, Niner MCR9

[Jun 07, 2010]
rednecknate

Strength:

beautiful construction flawless welds and design fit and finish

I AM SO IN LOVE WITH THIS BIKES ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY>>>

I rode my 26" hard tail forever Then took the plunge and bought a 29" intense full Xtr bike .. thinking this would be the ultimate for me in a 29er.. I hated the bike.. It was super light and had lots of travel but i just couldn't get used to the loose squirmey feel of the bike.. I must say i am not a hardcore rider so maybe this i why..

But the over all feel of the hardtail steel rocky for my needs just couldn't be matched i test rode about 15 different bikes before going this route, Scott scale 29,Fisher's , trek, and a few other's i can't think of and must say i couldn't be happier with my fnal choice..

i rode a 26" hammer for years , And just sold an Intense spider 29er full suspesnion..Gary fisher Bone fish 29er

[Mar 17, 2010]
tommer Roush

Strength:

Love the steel frame. It is supple and silk. I love hardtails especially a 29er. This bike rolls better, weather it is smooth or single track root sections. The bike feels very balanced and it is a blast to ride

Love my new Rocky Mt Hammer 29

[Sep 15, 2009]
mtnnate

Strength:

Unique steel 29er. Won't see any twinners on the trail!
Solid build kit, Excellent handling.

grips slide around- easy fix

Sweet bike! This thing is so smooth- like a magic carpet. I went from a 5" trail bike and think this is just as comfortable. The tiny bump smoothness makes up for the big hits.
Its hard to describe this bike without being cliche'. Its super SMOOTH. I can't say anything else.
The wheels don't feel heavy. After my first ride I found that single track handling is perfect. THis thing hucks too! I can launch this just like my 5" trail bike with out worries.
So far- so good.

Tried Gary fisher 29 and specialized 29ers

[Jun 05, 2009]
mefistofeles

Strength:

An incredible ability to run over stables.
Remarkable stability in turns.
A very comfortable frame that doesn't jar you when you hit obstacles

The BRAKES! The brakes aren't bad per see but simply can't handle the speeds this bike is capable of carrying into the corners.

Despite its weaknesses this bike is a superb piece of kit. Sometimes an object is more than the sum of its parts and I would have to say that's certainly true in the case of the Rocky Mountain Hammer Geared.

The thing that I like the most about this bike its ability to just run over things without any fanfare. While testing this bike in a parking lot I had a chance to run over some concrete parking stops and it went over without any fanfare. The recoil was pretty minimal and it can go over things that would be jarring on a 26 incher. Not only is the recoil controllable but there is less drama with riding over concrete parking lot stops than would be associated with a 26 inch bike,I think this would probably be true with other obstacles as well. Although I haven't done extensive road or trail riding with this bike I suspect its frame would be quite comfortable on a long excursion.

Of course high speed stabiliy on this thing bike is incredible. Even at low speeds the bike is so stable during turn and simply begs to pushed harder. Its hard to imagine a 26 inch bike being so stable during turn in.

Like all things this bike is not without its deficienies, compared to other hardtails I've ridden I feel the brakes aren't as good. I had a chance to ride this bike down a hill in a parking lot that I tested a Giant XTC 2 on and a custom Ti frame hardtail on and I felt that's brakes simply weren't as good at stopping the bike. That's not to say the stopping capability was bad the brakes simply didn't stop the bike as abruptly or quickly as they would on an XTC 2. This could be an issue because this bike is very stable during turn in and wouldn't be slowed by obstalces as much as 26 inch bike would.

Despite the braking deficiency I feel that this is a very nice bike. Its comfortable and it can bypass obstacles with a minimum of fuss and effort. If I hadn't gotten a great deal on an XTC Advanced I probably would have bought this bike. The Rocky Mountain Geared is a bike with alot of soul its hard to go wrong with a machine like this.

Giant XTC 2, Giant Trance X 1, Dahon Fuego, Custom Ti hardtail

[May 11, 2009]
turtlepaul

Strength:

29er!

I wasn't sure whether to get hardtail or full suspension 29er. But since I have 26er with 6" suspension, I decided to get hardtail 29er to mix things up.
This is a nice bike. I like the balanced geometry. It rails corners, and added traction is fantastic. You can easily lift front end.
I am a pretty much full suspension guy, but the steel frame has nice feel to it, and I am really enjoying renewed hardtail experience - something that I would not have tried with 26er. To top it off, I think the bike just looks beautiful!

Ellsworth Evolve, Gary Fisher HiFi