Redline Monocog 29er Hardtail

“Monocoging.” The original fun loving 29er that keeps it simple with just one speed.

• Frame: Full 4130 Chromoly, 135mm Rear Spacing, Disc Tabs
  • Fork: Full 4130 Chromoly, Disc Tabs
  • Crank: SRAM 5D Alloy 33T w/ Guard
  • Wheels: Alex DH 19 32H Rims w/ QR SB Hubs, stainless Spokes
  • Brakes: Tektro 8396 Linear Pull
  • Tires: Kenda Nevegal 29 x 2.2

Alex   Weekend Warrior [Aug 27, 2015]
Strength:

Easily maneuverable, strong, and FUN.

Brakes and hard seat. Front wheel/brake issues (read)

First off, I'm 250lbs and 6 feet tall. I'm right there at the weight limit of this and most other bikes. I also ride as aggressively as my size and weight allow me to. This has lead to many broken parts on my old FS bike. However the monocog has held up well, so far only issue was the rear hub loosening up a bit. I've ridden it mainly in Florida at Dorris Leeper, Santos, Chuck Lennon, and Graham Swamp. I've also ridden it twice at Wild Turkey in North Carolina. The bike really shines on well packed single track, with lots of tight twists and obstacles. You can throw it around like nothing, shift weight easily, and easily hop over obstacles. Quick elevation change is fun, but once you get to an extended climb or downhill, you will begin to tire. The bike isn't a do everything bike though, it's truly meant for XC singletrack use, and that's where it shines.

To address the weaknesses, the brake are probably because of my weight. They're your standard Tektro mechanical disc's, so you don't expect to have amazing modulation and power, but I do wish I could stop just a tad faster.

As far as the issues I've had with the front wheel, every time I remove the wheel and put it back in, I have to re-adjust the front brakes. I'm not sure why they come out of alignment easy time. I went so far as to remove and install the wheel a specific way, knowing it's sitting in the dropouts right, then adjusting the brakes so they're ever so perfect. Then I removed the wheel and put it back on in that same specific way as before, yet the brakes now rubbed. I rode it around to see if I just needed to seat the pads, but still could not resolve it. The caliper isn't loose, the axle was sitting in the dropouts correctly, the skewer was tight. At his point I've just accepted that I need to re-adjust every time I pull the wheel off. Also, a few times when I had to emergency brake, I did manage to pull the axle down in the drop out a bit, causing the wheel to rub the fork. Not entirely sure if it's an issue with the dropouts, axle, hub, or skewer.

That being said, I love the bike, more so than my previous Trance X4.

Kevin   [Sep 29, 2014]
Strength:

-Manageable Price Point/ Excellent Value.
-Durable, Reliable, and Fun.
-Easy to Maintain (perks of being a single speed)

The Monocog is widely considered a remarkable bang for your buck. Redline set out to make a wallet friendly package to bring people into the sport and provide miles of fun; they executed this concept beautifully in the Monocog 29er. As far as entry level bikes go, you will be hard pressed to find a more capable and reliable machine.
This bike omits the inclusion of sub-par derailleurs and forks and instead gives you components that are simple and reliable, letting you focus on your ride. Speaking of ride, this machine gives a good one. Its versatile frame geometry and quality build materials allow you to wield this steel steed with unexpected grace from a rigid machine. The frame is lovingly compliant without giving up stiffness where it counts. As they say, steel is real, and the Monocog is as real and true as a mountain biking experience can be. Beware: causes excessive grinning.

-Brakes (this was remedied in recent year models)

My monocog is a 2010, so the components have changed over the years. Generally speaking, there is always a weak point. In my experience it is usually the brakes. It seems that the newer models come equipped with discs, which is a welcome addition. Being a big wheeled bike, it likes to roll. Some brakes with decent modulation will enhance your experience and make you more confident.

In all honesty it is difficult to find any real weaknesses. Just keep in mind that this isn't one of those full carbon 155mm travel FS hussies on the front page, and it isn't trying to be. In fact, take your 3500 dollars and just buy 3-5 more Monocogs for all your friends.

I got mine new in 2010. That's 4 years of riding while barely stopping to wipe off the mud and put some air in the tires. I have done little to no maintenance or changing to anything on the bike, with the exception of tubes and tires. We have spent lots of time in rock gardens, screaming through singletrack, and taking drops we probably shouldn't have. The Monocog has seen the best rides of my life and some of the hardest crashes. Still alive, still begging for more. As a result, I have experienced a bike that has far exceeded my expectations. It's scarred and rusty in places (kind of like me), but still alive and still begging for more.

Merrimar   [May 01, 2014]
Strength:

Climbing
Responsiveness
Weight
Geometry

Brakes
Kenda nevegals, debatable

This bike is amazing! It is light and responsive, I was blown away... It takes some of the decision making out of mtbing. All you have to do is decide when to start pedaling, and when you do, you get a instant response of pure pedal to tire torque, I love it.
I am almost as fast on this as my full suspension Spesh epic, on the right trail. This bike loves fast, hard pack single track. It is not for overly technical, steep, or rocky terrain, AKA black trails. It is an XC bike and serves its purpose well. I can't descend as fast as a bike with a suspension fork, but I out climb all my geared friends. I learned to ride on nevegals and they are reliable tires, but they roll too slow for me, I have some tubless racing tires on now, and it screams! If you love to mtb and haven't tried Single Speed, this is an affordable way to do it, you won't regret it. I choose to ride this bike over my $1000 hardtail and ride it just as often as my $3000 full squish. I feel like it makes me a better rider. I know... It doesn't make sense, my wife reminds me of that every day. Oh, and I believe the MSRP has gone up, I bought the 2014 for $650, I believe.

Forrest Gimp   Cross Country Rider [Mar 24, 2014]
Strength:

Stock wheelset (Alex DH 19 hoops & redline hubs) have stayed true since iv'e purchased the bike in 2009! I ride mostly twisty single track with tech trail features ,small jumps & rock gardens. The steel is compliant & not harsh like aluminum rigid bikes iv'e been on. Great bike for the price point!

None so far

This bike was what i purchased to enter into the world of 29ers. The price was light on the wallet so it gave me access to the big wheeled world without taking out a damn loan. The feedback of riding rigid does give you the immediate feeling of being one with the trail & the single speed forces you to keep a solid cadence which seems to lock you in a trance like rhythm & flow which i love. This setup is not for everybody & upgrading to a geared hardtail is easy. Redline created a hit with this bike & the joy you get vs the price you pay is unbeatable!

Similar Products Used: On One Scandal V2
dalhopgood   [Jan 02, 2014]
Strength:

Simplicity. Simplicity. Simplicity.

Well, I think that a singlespeed bike has its weaknesses when one climbs. However once you get accustomed to climbing on a singlespeed- you will have no weaknesses. Just keep your cadence up to ensure your knees are happy.

My monocog is my first 29er. This being said, it has been a slam bang introduction into the world of both 29ers and SS mountain biking. Me, being a 5'11" 170 lb man with a long torso, opted to get the 19" size. I changed it about a bit, giving it new shoes (Maxxis Ardents 2.4"), ritchey comp 10d flat bars, Surly Ogre fork and a few other essentials. The steel frame gives it a bit of flex and the niner wheels give it a smooth fast rolling ride. The total package is a great basic platform to build upon and enjoy the Pale Blue Dot.

Garrett   Weekend Warrior [Oct 30, 2013]
Strength:

Simple, durable, reliable. Navegal tires impressive. Tecktro brakes sufficient for this bike and price point.

None, but adding clipless pedals is a must IMHO with this bike

Overall I'm very pleased with this purchase. It handles all sorts of abuse (rode Dupont and Bent Creek the past couple weekends without any issues). Your body will give out on the trails before the bike ever would forcing you to use arms and legs for suspension and getting out of the saddle on climbs. Simple, solid build. These bikes aren't for everyone, do your homework regarding rigid ss. As a leg strength/ skill builder this bike works wonders.

Colin   [Oct 30, 2012]
Strength:

Tough as nails. Great tires, handlebars and locking grips. Frame is ready for upgrades. Wheelset is of the heavy, cheap, and strong vaiety.

Brakes and brake levers. My levers were loose and made annoying chirping sounds before I replaced them with some Avids. Crankset also seems cheap, my drive side kept coming loose.

I took one for a test ride just out onto the streets around the bike shop and instantly fell in love with it. I've now owned it for just over 6 months and have ridden it over hundreds of miles of singletrack, gravel roads, and city streets. It is extremely stable and solid feeling, especially on the Kenda Nevagel tires that come stock.

On the trail this thing just eats up anything I've thrown at it, with the sole exclusion of super long, deep sandy patches and a massive, uphill rock garden on one of my local trails that I've never been able to make it through. On downhills and speedier sections, the bike can get moving pretty fast and always feels stable and in control. I've taken it pretty fast through some eroding berms and, even though the vibrations through the rigid front fork can get pretty bad, as long as you keep relaxed you'll be fine. On the monocog, the tires, steel frame, and your limbs are the suspension. Understand that and you will have a blast!

A1an   [Sep 20, 2012]
Strength:

Sexy, tough, and rigid...chix dig it.

Have to beat off all the chix.

Monolog likes to keep things simple. He may be a little heavy but he more than makes up for it by providing the rider a great time for many many years. Technological "advances" like shifting, disc brakes, or suspension aren't important to him. He does not enjoy parking lot posing at your local Starbucks while you drink your venti mocha caramel skinny sugarfree pansy drink. In fact, he will likely kill you in your sleep if you try this.

Monolog enjoys long rides offroad, cheap beer, and the company of a hairy legged rider (man or woman..he doesn't discriminate) who cares more about the ride than appearances.

Mike Benner   Cross Country Rider [Sep 17, 2012]
Strength:

Extremely durable and reliable. This bike will take whatever punishment you can dish out and come back for more. Simplistic as it gets. Easy to work on. Just plain fun to ride. Will never go back to gears.

Awesome bike for the money. Pure enjoyment to ride. Will make you a much stronger rider.

Anton   All Mountain Rider [Sep 15, 2012]
Strength:

The monster truck of the bicycle world. Simple, high quality frame. Basic but solid parts spec. Smashes over anything and is a lot of fun to ride.

A rigid singlespeed with v-brakes is never going to be the fastest way to get from point A to B off road, but these are not really weaknesses of this model, just the type of bike.

This is the probably the most fun you can have off road for the lowest amount of coin. My normal bike is a 1 year old carbon 5" travel duallie, which cost more than 10 times the amount of this Redline. Only the Redline has brought a smile to my face and made me laugh out loud while riding. If you see one, buy it.