Redline D460 29er 29er Hardtail

Highest quality Japanese Sanko double butted chromoly frame, with a rear derailleur hanger and disc brake mount. Suspension compatible geometry. Hand crafted Japanese Sanko taper leg chromoly fork with CNC dropouts. Sure stopping Avid BB5 mechanical disc brakes with 160mm rotors. SRAM X.7 shifter and rear derailleur combined with the Redline aluminum crankset with 34T chainring. Sturdy, smooth rolling Redline sealed bearing hubs laced up to 29” WTB Laser disc trail rims.
Available in 4 sizes ( 15”-21”) center to top.

noahm   Cross Country Rider [May 16, 2010]
Strength:

It's rigid and made out of steel

It's rigid... and made out of steel

I LOVE THIS BIKE! I bought it used at the beginning of last season, and have had so much fun with it. The big wheels roll over everything, and the steel takes just enough of the edge off the ride to make the rigidity OK. You never forget you're riding a fully rigid bike, though. Unlike with suspension, you can really blast your way through the gnar. Your line needs to be scoped out and your pace a little more deliberate. In my case, I think it has made me a better rider. Riding this bike forces me to pick out my line faster and to stick to it.

Some people have said that they've put a suspension fork on it, but I don't plan on it. It would probably allow me to ride a little faster through rough terrain, because as it is, this bike is like riding a jackhammer. That's half the fun of it, though, I think.

The bike is not light, and on longer rides in hilly terrain I've occasionally wished for a few lower gears, but in general I like the 1x9 drive train.

Similar Products Used: This is the only 29er I've owned and is the first rigid steel bike I've owned since about 1996, so I can't really say I've ridden anything similar.
scienceseuss   Cross Country Rider [Apr 16, 2010]
Strength:

-The feel of steel
-Geometry is perfect for norcal singletrack (IMHO)
-The redline name recognition
-Price

-Paint doesn't hold up long term
-Heavy (but hey, it's steel)
-Doesn't come with a good chain guide to prevent dropping the chain to the inside.

This is a fantastic bike at an unbelieveable price. The ride is predictably springy and responsive, and like any good steel frame, very stiff and dependable. I rode it rigid for about a year before putting a little travel up friont, and really liked the front fork (though I do too much rough stuff to keep riding rigid). The only problems witht this bike are 10the chain drop problem, and 2) the paint seems a little fragile. the cahin drops off to the inside constantly, but this can be easily fixed by replacingthe useless 3rd eye chain watcher with a $10 N-Gear Jump Stop. The paint issue is sad, since the paint is so pretty, it's a shame to see it scratch, ding, and rub-off so easily. I will have to have my frame stripped and painted within the next year due to all the paint damage - then again, i am pretty hard on my bikes (I took it down Downyville 3 time when it was still full rigid,and I do Hole in the Ground, and other "AM" trails with it pretty frequently. Definitely get Framesaver in this frame, since chipping paint on the outside is bad, but a frame rusting from the inside out is a VERY bad thing.

Overall, I'd say this is a perfect first 29er, or even first MTB in general, or a great bike for anyone, like me, who wants a great steel 29er but doesn't have much $$$ to spend.

Similar Products Used: Surly 1x1
Scott Sportster
teapotdome   Racer [Jan 31, 2010]
Strength:

Easy riding steel frame, good component spec, 29er goes over rocks and roots with ease.

Rigid fork was bent from factory, too tight to allow easy removal/replacement of front wheel. While not porky, no lightweight. Brakes are just adequate, not terrific.

Love this bike. After racing a Bianchi SISS for two seasons, then having Achilles surgery (unrelated!), I bought the 1x9 Redline Mono9 (precursor to the D460) as a way to add gears but keep things simple. With the Manitou fork and the 29" wheels, my speed and confidence are at an all-time high. Geometry (17" frame) fits me perfectly, the bike is well-balanced, easy on my 58 year old bones. A great way for old school single speeders to stay basic, but add comfort and control.

Similar Products Used: None
wwwmattcom   Weekend Warrior [Sep 19, 2009]
Strength:

The rigid forks helps in climbs. The chromoly feels lieghtweight to me. The entire bike feels lightweight. I wish i had a scale to weigh this bike. My aluminum bike seems to weigh a little more. The disc brakes are all I could ever ask for (avod bb5) I guess i don't ride hard trails, but weighing 240 lbs. i thought i would need a better brake. Not true. good brakes! shifting witht he x9 is unmatched. the 29er wheels are for real. wow i climb so well. The gearing (1x9) i thought was going to make riding more difficult becaue you are missing the lowest level of gears (granny gears). However I gained speed on climbs and was catching up to my buddy who is usually waiting for me at the top of the hill. I still can't believe i like a rigid bike so much. I thought my next bike would be a full suspension. No. I think rigid is for me. Until i find a trail that proves me wrong. I am purely a trail rider, no ramps/jumps/drops. This bike is a crusier in the woods and a climber on the hills. I hit mud easier and I am climbing through annoying rock gardens easier. I am so happy that i love rigid because it is going to save me a lot of money not getting a full suspension mtb. I also used to peel out a lot at low speeds trying to climb, especially in the granny gears but this bike is geared so well I never lost traction.

Little difficult going through rock gardens at low speed. Get some speed though and you rip right over them.

I am a 25 yr. old 6'1" 240 lbs. overgrown child who is learning there is no such thing as too many bikes. I currently ride a trek 4500 but think it is going to sit in the basement behind the redline. This bike rocked the 26" trek. I am high on 29ers right now. I will make no assumptions about my height and weight being the reason why i feel so comfy on this bike, but I gotta say, i had no idea i was on a larger wheeled bike because i felt just the same as on any other bike. the difference was the ride. smooth. Not to mention cheap!! i was debating between the redline and the gary fisher cobia. I was not sold on the fisher's tora fork. seemed too soft when locked out. So i went with a solid fork that i had the option of putting another suspesnion fork of my choosing on later. I don't think i will though. I am glad the granny gears are gone because now i don't waste my time in them. I am glad the suspension is gone because now i don't bounce off my bike and i cane take level ground obstacles with ease. downhill was only rough for the first ride down of the entire two hour ride and i got used to it. I enjoyed using my bike like i was a slalom skier avoiding buoys. more fun! If you can find this bike get it. personally i never pay msrp, i will buy a bike that is discounted because of age. never buy a 2010 bike in 2009 or 2010. I still can't beleive how i never felt as winded on climbs compared to the 26" wheel. i also was verycomfotable on this bike. decent seat too.

Similar Products Used: trek 4500 26" (not so similar) but I came off this bike for the redline.
Jamis 29er single speed. demo'd this bike, eh.
wanderer_smatt   Cross Country Rider [Jul 10, 2009]
Strength:

Strong Frame, Excellent Geometry almost a trials bike but with 29ers, Good tires (turned the back tire around for better traction in the soft stuff).Can't say enough about 29ers.

Rear Brakes do fade after prolonged downhills.

Awesome bike for the money. Just enjoy the feel of steel compared to aluminum. Adding a front shock is the only thing missing from this bike, but with the added benefit on 29ers you don't have too, just air down and go.

Damn Dan the Biker Man   Cross Country Rider [Apr 18, 2009]
Strength:

Stable, ride is very smooth and it just handles remarkably. Does everything well, commutes, climbs 2500 feet up single track after work and looks great doing it. Hauls the kid trailer into town for bagels, and sometimes the trailer bike and the kid trailer.

None - takes a little while to get used to fully rigid - and on rugged trails a suspension fork would soften things up a bit. The brakes are a little weak - I might upgrade those.

I Love this bike. I was looking for a new commuter bike last year and had been intrigued by the 29er thing. I had test ridden a Redline monocog 29er at the LBS but was not quite sold on the single speed thing. Then I saw this thing on e-bay and I just bought on impulse. Wow - have ever been converted over to 29ers. This thing handles great - I have been riding bikes for a long time - and I was amazed that after each ride this bike just got better and better. I have a farily short commute - but I find myself leaving early in the morning to take a longer route to work. I find myself riding at lunch just to ride. I find myself going 10 miles out my way on the way home just because it so darn fun to ride this bike. Great Bike - I would buy this bike again for twice what I paid for it.

Similar Products Used: None - this my first 29er.
stifa   Cross Country Rider [Apr 09, 2009]
Strength:

Fun ride ,fast , stable cool looking

A bit heavy

After about 2000Km on the bike it is even more fun to ride each time , and I still love to step back and just look at them . Size large are a bit long for me (1.79M) but I prefer it on medium size . Seatpost height is still something I play with a little. Changed the brakes to Magura hydro discs - WAY better then the Avid BB5 the bike came with . The front derailleur is not usually a problem although it is very close to the rear tire .

Similar Products Used: My first 29er
Rotem   Cross Country Rider [Apr 09, 2009]
Strength:

Fun ride ,fast , stable cool looking

A bit heavy

Similar Products Used: My first 29er
ttam   Cross Country Rider [Feb 23, 2009]
Strength:

Great climber, technical or otherwise, great in the twisty stuff and better on the downhill than I thought a rigid bike could be

Brakes are OK until you really NEED them

I bought this bike as a second bike to my full suspension and planned to ride it on only the most tame xc trails. That would have been a waste. This bike is good on most all trails within reason. It's better on a fast downhill than you would expect(as long as it's not too rocky)and on a tech climb the 29er lives up to it's hype. I may never buy another FS bike.