Redline D 660 29er Hardtail

Super lightweight and strong U6 double butted aluminum alloy tubing frame with a replaceable rear derailleur hanger. Race worthy RockShox Reba SL fork with 100mm of travel. Sure stopping Avid BB7 mechanical disc brakes with 160mm rotors. SRAM X.9 shifter and rear derailleur combined with the Truvativ Stylo 32T crankset with chainring. Sturdy, smooth rolling Redline sealed bearing hubs laced up to 29” WTB Laser disc trail rims. Available in 4 sizes ( 15”-21”) center to top.

B. Gibson   Cross Country Rider [Aug 12, 2013]
Strength:

Tough, reasonably light, handling, value.

No remote lockout. Stock tires.

This is for the new 13 model. Thru axles front and rear, Mavic crossride wheels, X9 2x10 drivetrain. I'm 5' 11", 2005 lbs, 32" inseam and owned a 2012 SD-660 in a 19" frame. After trying a buddy's 17" Redline, I got a 17" with a 110mm stem. Fits great, and the smaller frame is noably quicker thru tight switchbacks and quick line changes, without any twitchiness at speed. Love the way this thing steers! Just well balanced everywhere.
Weight without pedals on my 17 was 26.3 lbs. Not bad for sub $2,000. Sure, you can get a carbon bike and knock off maybe 2 lbs (for an additional $2k,} but it's a great real world, everyday badass.
I live and ride in NE Ohio, so no long climbs, but steep drops in and out of creek and river valleys, with lots of roots, and the occasional rock crossings. Typical eastern/ midwest trail conditions. The D 660 is confidence inspiring everywhere - fast flowy trails, steep and sketchy ups and downs, twisty rooty stuff .... great bike.
Highly recommend this bike for entry level to sportt xc racers, anyone looking for a durable, fast hardtail that works well in East coast style trails ( and probaly elsewhere), without costing a mint.

Similar Products Used: 2012 D 660 , 2011 Scott Scale Expert, 11 Monocog all 19" frame size.
mike180   Cross Country Rider [Nov 22, 2012]
Strength:

handles well ,good parts for the price, great local dealer, alternative bike shop!

rear brake vibrates badly, changed out the rotors and it helped but still annoying, swapped to stans wheels and still no change, also tossed the front chairing set in favor of the optional lower set now available 26/ 39 is a bit steep for new hampshire woods riding

after braking 2 gary fisher paragon frames i thought id give redline a shot. gladi did, at 235 lbs i would call myself fairly aggressive cc rider, and this has been ridden 2 seasons now without failurei hope they build a full suspension with 100 mm travel soon

Similar Products Used: jamis pro 26, fisher paragon 29
Flash   Weekend Warrior [Aug 25, 2012]
Strength:

Weight, handling, ride quality.

I love the way this bike rides and handles. As good as a bike costing twice as much.

Velosopher   [Apr 29, 2012]
Strength:

-Price to Awesomeness ratio.
-Workhorse spec: nothing so fancy that I feel like coddling the thing (XX and XTR make me queasy)
-Responsive and fast.
-Nice mechanical brakes rather than crappy hydraulics
-Sealed bearing hubs that roll like greased butta

None really, it's not especially light but neither am I.
The brakes could be nicer, and the wheels could be lighter, but the bike could also cost more.

This thing rides like a dream, and I still have a few dollars left in the annual bike budget.
It is spec'd in such a way, with the nicer fork, that you could change the wheel/tire combo, and have a relatively light bike.
Bottom line is that anyone, from recreational rider, to all but top level racers should give this a hard look...Saving money is cool, especially if you put it toward having more bikes.

CHP71   Cross Country Rider [Jan 01, 2011]
Strength:

Light and Fast. Redline stands by their warrantee. I broke the first frame I bought and they replaced it that day. The bike handles corners like a dream. Climbs like a frakin' mountian goat

So far on this frame, nothing.

I absolutly love this bike. I bought just the frame which is why I got it so cheap. The bike is strong, light and very adjil (spelling???) No regrets on this one, it is a great bike!

Similar Products Used: Windsor 29er
expostdelirium   Cross Country Rider [Nov 07, 2010]
Strength:

It's lightweight, has a very comfortable/rideable geometery. It climbs well. I've been in near-wreck situations that this bike just seemed to pull out of - somehow. I guess that's I'm trying to say that I've pushed this bike quite hard, and it's taken it quite well, and has made me a better rider.

It really has no "weaknesses" per se. I ride rigid, and since moving to a longer carbon fork, it's not as snappy. I will likely change my stem and change to risers. I'd like to find a shorter carbon fork as well.

I built this bike as listed above for just under 650, so it's a been a good deal, and I can say that know what I know about this bike that I'd easily pay more for it if I were to have to buy it new.

The bike would be good for anyone that wants to ride a hardtail/rigid 29er, and that is somewhat on a budget. It is perfect for the person that wants a bike that doesn't want to HAVE to upgrade a bunch of components.

When you get the bike on a line, at speed, it will keep that line, and it's worth every penny I've put into it.

Similar Products Used: None - first 29er build. But not my only 29er (anymore). I use X-7/X-9/X-0 on lots of other bikes, and it works as well on this bike as it does on this one. I use BB7 on my other 29er as well: they're the best brakes for the money IMO.
manifest.son   Cross Country Rider [Oct 22, 2010]
Strength:

Lightweight, component value for money, high speed handling, great looking bike!

Low speed-cornering, stock saddle is not my style. Can't perform miracles?

As said in other reviews, the d660 is on the short list of best value for a hardtail 29er.
The faults with the bike are minor, it doesn't corner at low-speed as tight as my 26er, that's to be expected. Honestly that is the only thing I don't like about the bike.
The high speed handling is almost scary stable. I still haven't been brave enough to push the bike's limits on some high speed turns. The d660 can take turns way faster (even on pavement) than my 26er.
Shifting is quick. I was worried about the 1x9 gearing, but it's perfect for trail riding. It even suffices for short commuting on the road too, obviously you won't win any road races though...
The bike is quite light for a metal 29er. Mine (17" frame) is just under 28 pounds with pedals. It is lighter than most 26ers and lots of old road bikes around my campus. If you want to put some money into aftermarket components it could easily be under 25 pounds.
I love the graphics, I get lots of compliments and turned heads when I ride. Not everyone cares about looks, but why not have a bike that rides AND looks great?
Bottom line: Fun Bike, Perfect for weekend warriors,if you have $1500 hundred for your MTB budget you should test-ride this bike.

Similar Products Used: Trek 3500, ancient Trek Antelope
Drexler   Cross Country Rider [Aug 18, 2010]
Strength:

This aluminum frame is light and strong with efficient geometry in my opinion.

This is my first 29er frame so I don't have a point of comparison. However, I must point out that the paint scratches quite easily. This might affect its resell value but I am not concern about that because I am keeping it.

Very satisfied with my custom built 2008 fire red Redline D660 19". Once again, this is my first 29er bike so I don't have a point of comparison. My 1x9 set up weighs 21Lbs. Single speed, about 26 Lbs because of the 44mm wide Kris Holms wheels and Surly steal fork that I am using at the moment.

Similar Products Used: None
merckxorange   Cross Country Rider [Aug 02, 2010]
Strength:

"Cheap," steam-roller that can go over anything!

Heavy wheels, handgrips are worthless...easy fix.

Riding is much more enjoyable on this compared to my old 26" hardtail, which was top-of-the-line for its day (2006). I look forward to obstacles that I used to dread. Steep (but short) inclines are much easier with the extra traction (even out of the saddle). The big wheels give a floating sensation over trail chatter and cornering is much more confident. I do find myself shifting a lot more..kind of like an 18 wheeler...to get the big wheels moving and long hills are a task. The rear wheel has also come out of true quickly, which never happened on my 26". Overall I am happy though. Buy it if you like hardtails and want an inexpensive trail-oriented (vice XC race) bike.

Similar Products Used: None. Upgraded from a 26" hardtail.
mo0se   Cross Country Rider [Jul 15, 2010]
Strength:

2010 model. Great component Spec. for the money... very hard to beat! 26.10 Lbs for a Large 19" frame with pedals (Crank bros. Candy SL) Great geometry, great handling, super climber!
1x9 is a great setup. 34 x 11-32

Comes with reflectors and a cassette disc :)

If you can find a better part spec. and handling bike for this amount of money, I'd like to know what it is. Lifetime warranty, and fun as hell to ride! This has to be the best value on a hardtail 29er.