Raleigh Talus 29 29er Hardtail

• Cranks: Shimano MC442 Octalink 22/32/44t
  • Shifter: Shimano Deore 9spd

[Nov 19, 2012]
grizzlyplumber

Strength:

Price.
Big Wheels
Attractive looks.

Octalink crank
Weight
Fork

Bought this for my wife, she is coming off a 26" Trek and fell in love with this bike the minute she put her leg over it. Now I cant get her off of it, she comes home from work and goes riding without me.
I wanted to get my wife a quality bike that wouldnt break the bank. The way it looks is important to her so we went back and forth on a couple of different ones. I didnt want to overpay for something with crappy components, but wanted a decent frame that could be upgradeable over time.
The fork is low end but at this price point they all are, and with a beginner that will be buying this bike its probably not a big deal.
Bike is a little on the heavy side. First thing I did was ditch the Octolink crank, replaced with a two piece Sram, that dropped a little over a pound right away. Overall very happy with it.
What a value. For the money I dont think you can do much better than this bike.

Cannondale Super V
Trek 4300

[Nov 12, 2012]
Elvis

Strength:

Big wheels roll over anything, feel like they take off quick, don't get stuck on bumps as easy as 26 or ever normal road 700's.
Solid and nice-looking frame, simple graphics
Easy to use thumb shifters (not the crappy grip shift that these entry level parts used to spec)
Mechanical discs stop well and are less hassle than high performance hydraulics.
Entry level fork has real lockout making it rigid for around town riding or on smooth dirt; when not locked out it has some adjustment allowing you to make it stiffer.
Upgrade worthy, IMHO.

Larger wheels mean smaller end frame sizes look like bmx bikes, with pronounced sloping tt and high front end.
Larger wheels weigh more.
Larger innertubes are more expensive (by almost $2 per tube - one buck an inch? Really?)
Entry level drivetrain parts may need upgrades sooner or later.
Re: Drivetrain: 8 speed cassette? In this day and age?
Entry level fork is heavy.

This thing is a nice well equipped entry level 29er. Operative word is entry level. The frame ans rims are solid, the fork works good -- but is heavy -- and the entry level shimano works great, but may need to be upgraded at some point. I got this for cruising around as well as offroading, my thought being it'd be like a hybrid on steroids. It didn't disappoint, but certain things about this nbike -- maybe all 29ers -- soon became evident.

One - the bigger wheels roll better and smother, but this isn't like a cyclocross or road bike. It is more tiresome to ride long distances on pavement. Granted that wasn't what this is designed for, but I can't be the only one using it as dual use -- lookat all those Surly Karate Monkeys or Redline Monocogs that are used on pavement. In this bike's case, you have to get used to it. The wheels accelerate smooth and fast, but it doesn't go fast like a street bike; I maxed out at 33 mph on a downhill I normally hit 40 on a roadbike. Still, not bad for a knobby tired beast.

The brakes are great, and a lot less worry about maintaning them than hydraulics. I've seen reall crappily put together discs but the local shop did good on these -- there's no rubbing or noises and they stop well.

On dirt, well I haven't done hardcore offroading yet, but so far it has gone over a few stretches and it rides well and rolls over bumps.

Get one, you won't be disappointed.

Overall

[Nov 06, 2012]
Grendel Khan

Strength:

Good solid bike. Supports moving my mass. Great brakes and dialed in gears. Quality product at a great price.

I'm 6'4" and the XL still seems a little cramped.

I'm a returning rider after recovering from a car crash which messed my back up. I have been riding a Specialized road bike fitted with a riser to heighten the handlebars even higher than stock. A couple of years of therapy and PT meant I was ready for a more aggressive bike.

I managed to find this on clearance for a phenomenal price. This bike really fits the mark for me. The only thing I'm considering changing are again the handlebars as the bike feels a little tight. May look into a stem riser or adjustable stem. Again, it may be my back issues or it may just be that I need to get used to the new ride.

[Jul 04, 2012]
tekno

Strength:

price, fox shock, 29 inch wheels, and fit to my body and style of riding. surprised to find the fox shock on this price point. brakes and gears well matched to frame.....just a real nice fit overall.

seat perhaps also maybe the heavy wheels.....but since I ride beach sand dune trails with roots and rocks I find the GEAX tire set up rox!

riding amelia and talbot islands mainly....this bike is sold and serviced by the local guy Joel at Fernandina Beach Cycle and fitness downtown. They have great prices and service!! **sold bike to me on sale for 1400...;)
the bike is a perfect fit for someone riding off rode florida... bike eats beaches, trails, dunes, or old rail beds like a hungry dog inhaling table scraps!

[Jun 21, 2012]
shahab r

Strength:

the second you ride it you feel confident on it, smooth, fast, and easy for street jumps. i went mountain biking on the first day i got the bike, wonderful ride.

the tires that the store gave me aren't the best for city or road biking, especially for turning fast on roads at first. (the tires are just really good tires for griping earth) and the only other problem i guess is adjusting to a different gear style (not a big deal)

great bike. i got mine on sale so it was a great deal to for what i found online everywhere. u can buy a 5000 bike, this this will do too.

[Aug 10, 2011]
Ifelldown

Strength:

Great frame.I Dont feel bad about slamming it around at all. The geometry and clearance combined with 29 tires really help you up climbs and bomb descents. Great rims.

Some of the components are suspect. Promax disk brakes are probably going to need to be replaced soon down the line. The suntour fork is garbage, many just consider it to be a place holder for something mountain worthy. Frame is slugish

I have to give this Bike a solid endorsement. Although Im going to have to replace the brakes and fork, this bike is worthy of upgrading. As this is my first 29er mountain bike I find myself laughing at how you can climb over EVERYTHING rather than go over it. The geometry of the frame can be seen in higher end bkes. I would reccomend this bike for intermediate riders who dont require a lightweight frame yet. Great entry level bike.

[Jul 11, 2011]
JDWiegand

Strength:

Strong Frame and Good Components.

Front shock is lacking to say the least. A dart 3 would have been a better option for the price.

Great bike to start off with. I have over 1k on it with no issues. Root drops, rock drops, and DH around 30+ over rocks have not broken this bike.

Marin 29er

[May 22, 2011]
carl s.

Strength:

Quality frame. Top tube shaping is very nice. great parts spec. wienmann wheels are quality. Geax saguaro tires

suntour fork is rough and felt dead. Heavy

This bike is a awesome! For $900! I've ridden a couple of nice 29ers and the Talus 29 stock, out of the box can get it! Once you dial in your postion and burn in the brake pads it can handle any XC shredding. Definately race worthy. Buy one.

Salsa El Mariachi, Surly Karate Monkey

[Aug 12, 2010]
tempobon

Strength:

Great wheels and nice rideability. Shimano package is great and brake system to sweet as well.

I take a decent amount of ramps and the lockout cartridge broke on a pretty good jump. The seatpost also bent back o the same jump.

The bike is great for the money but if you plan on getting a lot of air you may want to opt for a more stout fork.

na

[Apr 26, 2010]
holyghostrider96

Strength:

Value, full shimano drivetrain. Perfect for the rider on a budget who is looking for their first 29er.

Rear derauler hanger came off the first time the rear wheel was removed. Reinstalled and checked all other bolts.

This bike was the only bike that met my $900 budget that had hydralic brakes and a full 9spd shimano drivetrain. This is my first bike with geax tires and I'm very impressed with how fast they roll and hook up in the corners. My first ride was about 20 mi and I walked away saying I'm hooked on 29ers. My other bike is GF Hifi 26er and I felt like this bike was faster. I looked for some of the 29er problems with acceleration and climbing but didn't find any. this bike is smooth and rides over most obstacles without any problems. Some raters may rate this bike 4 chilis overall for weighing 32lbs with eggbeater pedals. But for this price your not going to get a low 20lb bike. The frame is worth upgrades as you break components

First 29er I've owned. Have ridden 29ers from gary fisher,raleigh,specialized,and giant.