Orbea Lanza 29er 29er Hardtail

• Handlebar: Zeus Carbon flat, customizable size
  • Hubs: Bontrager Race Lite Disc 29
  • Tires: 29 x 2.20" Bontrager Jones ACX

menthol   Cross Country Rider [Apr 23, 2010]
Strength:

Heres my specs before i review, 5/11, 138lbs. ok im a lil guy.
this is the first mtb ive owned, always rode a bmx before.
i have the 18 inch model and its too big, but that being said i put a short stem on it and moved my saddle and no issues since. I race this bike as a 1X9, and it is so awesome, aside from being tubeless, i can outcorner a formula 1 driver. this bike climbs and it is truly meant for speed, so many say things about the bb and tire rub, well tire rub ok makes sense its a tight frame, but the BB, Go faster and jump higher, i ride this thing like a DH bike and it holds up very well.

Paint Chips.
Any sensable buyer will see that this bike is NOT meant for a rider weighing over 180 lbs.

I got the frame for free, but that being said after riding this bike i would buy it in a heartbeat.

i feel that with the retail cost of this bike already built, and for what i paid to build a 1X9 out of it, id still come in under what it costs to buy this bike complete even if i did pay the 550 retail for frame only.

Awesome bike for aluminum minded weight weenies

Similar Products Used: Never had a MTB, but tons of bmx's in the past
2Niners Rock   Cross Country Rider [Jan 16, 2009]
Strength:

This bike rolls, corners and climbs. Sure it is not plush as my full suspension 26 inch bike but this thing goes up hills and it is amazing how much better it holds in the corners. The 29 inch wheels help make up for the lack of rear suspension.

I've seen lots of complaints about the clearance on the rear wheel. Seems like Orbea improved it in the model year that I have which is an early 2008. Stay out of the mud and it isn't a problem.

I never thought I would get off a full suspension bike but this was the ticket.

Similar Products Used: 26 Inch bikes - but never again
jose   Cross Country Rider [Dec 05, 2008]
Strength:

good-geometry, looks, fun to ride and very fast on the trail. Built in Spain, so no quality problems...

none (I don't think rear tire clearance is a problem, as long as you use it as a Cross Country bike)

I love 29er as it's more fun to ride and rolls easier. I haven't any rear tyre clearance problems (I use Hutchinson Python).29er climbs and goes around technical terrain better. I'll never ride a 26" again...

Similar Products Used: everything in 26" and Orbea Alma 29" (test ride; I can't afford it, but if you have the $, simply go for it!)
squiz   Cross Country Rider [Nov 29, 2008]
Strength:

Very good race type 29er

Chainstays!
Mine might be uneven. A 2.1 DryX was rubbing on the chain
side.An axel shim at about 10 O'clock lets me run a 2.3 exiwolf.
so I am happy with that. I may see what Obrea has to say.

I like It
but love my Trek

Similar Products Used: Specialized fsr
Trek 9.9 Elite, setup as 69er. best bike ever.
khadden@starstream.net   Weekend Warrior [Nov 23, 2008]
Strength:

Great ride. Light.

Rear tire clearance.

I love the ride and handling of this bike. But the rear tire clearance is a major problem. It had 2.3 inch tires on it when it came. I really like the way the 2.3s hook up. But you simply cannot ride up any incline without the tire rubbing. I'm going to try a 2.1, but if that doesn't work, then what? A 1.9? how much difference will that make? I'm open to suggestions.

Similar Products Used: 26" bikes
abosch   Cross Country Rider [Jun 18, 2008]
Strength:

Light, strong, quick, good-geometry, good-looks

Paint easily chips (so what, it's a mountain bike) & I'm not a fan of integrated headset (I prefer Chris King headsets)

Great bike... fun, smooth & fast on the trails. Great w/ the climbs and the downhill. Other posts have complained about the BB & rear wheel clearance, but it really isn't a big deal. Expect a lot of raves from your fellow riders.

Similar Products Used: My 1st 29er, my other bikes are/have-been, Santa Cruz Blur & Superlight, KHS Alite 4000
Erol   Cross Country Rider [May 08, 2008]
Strength:

Higher-end solid components. 29inch wheels. Light weight. Versatility: swap tires with slicks and you have a decent bike for the road.

None so far after 1 year and 600miles plus usage.

I love this bike. It is great on the mountain. 29inch tires make it easier. The bike just rolls easier. It is fairly light, about 26lb with mountain tires, so it is nice for longer climbs. And it can take abuse coming downhill.

I don't even ride my road bike anymore. I swap the tires with road tires and I can go for a longer ride on the road. The front suspension has a lock when needed.

I would not change anything on this bike. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a robust mountain bike with some versatility.

Andrew Eckel   Cross Country Rider [May 04, 2008]
Strength:

Fast, stiff, ultra-light, fun to ride.

None yet really. The paint does chip easily but, whatever, it's a mountain bike...

I built it over the winter and haven't noticed any glaring issues. It's fun to ride, I haven't had any clearance problems at the chainstays and the frame is an '06. As built it's very, very light. Great climber for a 29er. Handles technical terrain w/ ease. Low BB has yet to be a problem. An early review - Favorite bike in the stable at the moment bike but I've had only limited time to spin around recently.

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher Paragon 29er
Tom   Cross Country Rider [Jun 20, 2007]
Strength:

Light, fast, stiff (just enough). With a ti seatpost, I thought I had my "race weapon".

Not enough clearance at the chainstays. Rear tire rubbed about 1/3 of the way through both sides within about 30 hours of riding, despite retensioning of spokes by excellent local wheelbuilder.

Orbea had a good thing going with this bike -- almost. The chainstay issue is insurmountable, unless you are very light, and run a very narrow tire, or both. At 190 lbs, I tried the narrower rear tire, and still had a lot of rubbing. The final straw was that Orbea provided a paltry $300 refund for the frame! I considered being a putz and trying to return the whole bike, but decided to switch all the parts over to a Sultan, which is an absolute dream bike.

A very fair price for the bike, but only one chili overall, because this frame could actually be considered unsafe due to the miniscule tire clearance at the chainstays.

Similar Products Used: Turner Sultan (parts switched over).
drew   Racer [Feb 09, 2008]
Strength:

decent price point, stiff enough/complaint enough

I find it a little whippy but I have "special needs". BB is low so you need to adjust on cross slopes and around big rocks and roots. Clearance is a bit of an issue but that's also a stiffness issue. Fix either one and the other is mostly solved.

Good bike for the money. Turns in the medium range which makes is a good all-rounder.