Orbea Alma 29er 29er Hardtail

Orbea Alma 29er 29er Hardtail

Are you ready to join the 29er revolution? Now is the time to take a look at a new generation of 29er – Orbea’s carbon Alma. Orbea has created the lightest, fastest, most technologically advanced carbon 29er ever. A mix of 80% T700 and 20% M30s high modulus carbon is molded into a frame that is laterally rigid with its oversized downtube with integrated fender. And the Four Point rear end, with its unique parallelogram design and integrated, molded-in dropouts is vertically compliant. Get all the advantages of 29-inch wheels – more stability on downhills, better cornering, more traction – without the weight.

[Mar 25, 2013]
Earthpig

Strength:

Light, fast, dialed handling, beautiful design

Funky sizing/geometry, Gore Ride-on cables mandatory, front ring/crankset spacing

This is a review for the 2011 Alma carbon hardtail frame. Picked up this frame on closeout sale for $685 from Speedgoat so, first, it was a relative bargain for a carbon frame. Ridiculously light out of the box. Built it up with a 2x10 XT drivetrain, XT brakes and an older XT wheelset. Had to swap on a 38/26 front ring combo (had intended to use 40/28) because the 40t would have contacted the chainstay under any load. I haven't weighed it (only have 5 rides on it), but I would guess it's in the low-mid 20's. Fast both up and down. Odd sizing/geometry - the front end is way up there relative to the saddle and at a comfortable ETT, there's barely any standover. I ended up having to flip my stem and use a flat bar to obtain a comfortable riding position. Other than that, I really have no complaints. Can't wait to do a couple of races on it.

Other 29'er hardtail frames I've owned - Niner One 9, Scott Scale 29, Vassago Bandersnatch, On-One ScandAL, On-One Inbred, Salsa El Mariachi

[Mar 20, 2013]
Tim

Strength:

Handles very well in tight situations you would usually be slower on a 29 in. Great rear wheel clearance for mud and leave shedding. It is a work of art, the bike is beautiful. It is light never measure exact weight.

Paint is thin (i guess for weight?) but it scrapes off very easily. I put helicopter tape on the down tube and you cant even see it. One thing that is wonky but not bad, is the way they set up the cable routing, I ignored a few of the holds that just don't fit nicely.

This is for just the 2012 frame not the whole bike build from Orbea. I ride central East Coast (Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia) and this 29er handles great for the tight woodsy switch backs, rocky rooty down hills and climbs you find in the east coast. I rode a Fuji Tahoe before this and it had a lot more stretched out of a feeling and handled completely how people explain 29ers negatively. But the Orbea is different with its geometry and the setup I am running everything's set back and handles well in tight situations, fast downhills, and uphills. The lack of bridges on the chain stays is awesome, I did a 100 mile race in the rain with my thick 2.2 Bronson's and the mud shed away from the bike. If you ride and get leaves stuck allot, that doesn't happen at all with the Orbea (besides the ones that get stuck on my front derailleur).

4 Chilis for price because as I got it for close out for 500, Its original price is $749 which seems high to me in comparison to other frames in the range
4 Chilis for Overal Rating becuase wonky routing and thin paint, which is not that bad i just feel 5 Chilis should be perfect

[Dec 06, 2012]
eduardo

Strength:

great bicycle, light weight, good handle, really fast bike.

none.

i have had this bike for about four moths and i just love it, it worth every single dollar i have paid for it. i use to ride a trek mamba 29er and from that bike to this one is a big diference but not only the price.

[Sep 05, 2012]
Owen

Strength:

Looks good when it is new.

Clearcoat bubbles, warranty is terrible.

Liked the bike for a while, then the clearcoat started bubbling. Orbea said to send it back so they could look at it. 9 weeks later I finally got my frame back with absolutely nothing done.

[May 31, 2012]
Chay N. Whip

Strength:

Climbing, Fit, Component Kit

So, while on Value Rating I am a bit low its because at the $6k price it would be a challenging price point, however I got a phenomenal deal. Climbs well, front end stays down and solid on the steepest of climbs. Component spec is great, the wheel set Fulcrum Red Power XL's are a bit heavy but they sure seem bombproof. Can't say enough about the XT brakes, great one finger stopping power and once I worked the air horn noise out they are great. It is my first 29r, but has been a great introduction to big wheeling.

All 26ers
Fisher Mt. Tam, Rocky Element Race, Specialized FSR

[Aug 08, 2011]
AndrewD1022

Strength:

The frame geometry is perfect for a 29er. Rather than feeling on top of the bike, you feel like you are riding lower/in the bike. The component set that I received was awesome.

The bike was a bit expensive for my budget, but for the price it was a good set-up. I have not had any complaints as of yet. Also, seems like people do not like the obnoxious ORBEA stickers all over the bike. I could not care less about this.

I couldn't be happier for my first 29er. With the customizations I did and the overall price of everything, I am confident I picked the perfect bike. It rides fast and smooth over the rooted trails I ride. Also, does an excellent job of climbing.

Rockhopper LTD 29er. Gary Fisher Paragon.

[May 13, 2011]
ryguy135

Strength:

Light, stiff, GREAT geometry, rides better than any other hardtail, climbs amazingly, what's not to like?

Clearcoat easily damaged but that's mostly cosmetic

AMAZING bike. Didn't realize how much I liked it until I demoed some top of the line Gary Fishers and Trek's spec'ed out much better than my Alma and walked away loving my bike better than any of them. Rides nearly as smooth as the GF Superfly 100, handles much better than the Superfly, and climbs much better than the Top Fuel 9.9. Geometry is spot on running a Reba at 80. Did 100 too but prefer to be as low up front as possible. I'm 6'0" and it fits great, albeit with a 130 mm stem that's more a personal preference than anything. At my nearest training trail there's a 300 ft. hill that averages a 25% grade that's brutal on you. I was worried as between the bigger wheels from my old 26er and a higher lower gear than on my old bike how it would do. Never even dropped into the lowest gear. Couldn't be happier with this bike. And they're pretty rare too so I get plenty of people asking about it too. Love it!!

And yes, someone sold it to me used for $200 frame only. Nice!!! Still, it's well worth $2000 to me.

GF Superfly Elite, Trek Top Fuel 9.9, GF Superfly 100, Salsa Spearfish

[May 13, 2011]
IowaCoug

Strength:

Short chainstay = stiff ride, racing geometry feels great, components, Orbea service

larger sizing (small feels like a medium due to high standover)...yes I'm a shorter dude on a 29er, paint chips fairly easily.

Love this bike so far. This thing is fast and I love the geometry as it feels like I'm in the cockpit, not over it. The stand over sizing is big (not much different than their medium), but the top tube is perfect. I was skeptical of buying a $2k+ bike w/ a RockShox Recon Gold TK fork as you would think it would have a Reba or Fox, but the Recon Gold is just as light as the Reba and so far has performed suprisingly well, even in Moab/Fruita recently. Wheelset is solid, but slightly heavy for a "race" bike. Paint has chipped kind of easily though, where my previous bikes didn't have this problem.

[Nov 15, 2010]
suvacrew

Strength:

Stiff (frame), light, rocket ship, great climber.

Be prepared to see it get chipped up from falls and rocks...lower bottom bracket. Limited sizes. Need better fork options besides the Reba and the copious flex that it allows.

You want to save some time on your XC race, climb like a mtn goat and claim a podium step? You owe it to yourself to at least try the Alma 29er. The 2011 version is supposed to be an improvement over an already great bike.
Laterally stiff and vertically compliant wit the 4 point rear triangles. I feel no fatigue after long marathon rides, it's an efficient riding position. Great to drag through switchbacks with confidence
Not meant for the huck and roll jumps..it's purely XC but can venture into some rougher terrain for limited distances.
No one will snag your slot on a sprint with this rig.

Scott Spark, SC LT2, GF HiFi 29er

[Sep 24, 2010]
Morals

Strength:

Light as balls. Looks unreal.

Unsure, but thinking probably none.

I have only ridden it a single time, yet I feel compelled to write a first impression review. The thing looks sick. It's superlight (esp. when I swap out these heavy ass tires), and it was only made in one size. That means you ain't gonna see a ton of them. Call me vain, but I like that. It seemed to beg for input and to be ridden hard. Granted, I only rode it on some pretty tame stuff last night for its maiden voyage, but I have ridden it a million times on my YBB. The bike feels "in command" and amazingly responsive compared to how I thought it would feel. The handling was SLIGHTLY muted compared to the 26, but duh....plan better when taking a line. I'm going to review it again after 6 months or so of ownership. So far, so sick! I ALMOST feel bad for getting it for 1760 shipped....ok, no I don't!

First 29er Experience