On-One Scandal 29er Hardtail

• Dropout Type: Vertical
  • Wheel Size: 29"

[Mar 24, 2014]
Forrest Gimp

Strength:

Price is a steal! Frame is amazingly light. Welds & anno raw aluminum are beautiful. Tapered headtube & dropper seatpost compatible. 16" frame with a 100mm fork puts you at a 69 degree headset angle.

Long chain stays makes for difficult wheelies & manuals

This bike has beautiful simple clean lines. Very light frame...3lbs & two dimes. This is a very flickable ride & has served me well on every day single track to even holding amazing lines on gravity runs! Many always complain of 29ers being sluggish on turns. I run a 70mm stem & 685.8mm bars & it obeys on command with sharp snaps which solves any sluggish issues. Longer chain stays makes for tougher sustained wheelies or manuals but climbs like a jeep. As with aluminum framed hardtails you can expect to get bounced around on baby head downhills. Overall this bike has great response along with a great look & unbeatable price point.

Redline Monocog 29er

[Feb 29, 2012]
badgercyclist

Strength:

Light: 3.5 lbs!
Great ride: the frame gives terrific feedback and is easy to flick through tight singletrack.
Versatility: this frame can be set up as a single speed or a geared ride.
The best value I've found in mountain biking, period. The $350 is the price I paid for the frame. I built up the whole ride for about $1725 with the build spec listed below. (The C29ssMax USTs were spendy, but worth it.)

I'm not a big fan of the dark green color.
No snob factor because it's not overpriced.

The Scandal 29 is light, fast, and comfortable at any speed. I'm so happy with it my Hammerhead Racer X has been hanging on the wall for about a year now. I have more fun on this bike at less than half the price of my Racer X. I love the 1X9 setup. The UST tubless setup helps smooth the ride with tons of traction. I ride all the steep, rocky single track in my area of the Arkansas Ozarks and I've competed in a 40 mile cross country race on the rolling hills of northern Wisconsin on it. I'd ride this bike anywhere. It does it all.

I recommend the Scandal for anyone who wants a great frame at a great price. If you are looking for the snob appeal of a high priced frame, stay away.

I test rode a friends fisher high fi.

[Feb 06, 2012]
envylouis

Strength:

Light , very compliant , geometry spot on for most XC to aggressive trail ride . Love the Laser itched logos and decals .

The black anodizing paint chipped off easily ,

First time on 29er so nothing to compare , but i must say i feel comfortable switching from my 26er to 29er on this frame /setup . Easill adapt to it . Love the geometry , the handling is superb , quick and nimble . Good for climbing .I'm 168cm height , using size 16 , fit me just well . Been using it for everyday ride to work , weekend trail riding and occassionly joining endurance race Would love to get the 2012 version the next upgrade ..

My first 29er frame

[Dec 29, 2009]
Appendage

Strength:

*Light. 3.5 lbs - yes, I weighed it
*Climbs, descends, corners well. Feels compact and nimble.
*Good quality design, welds and general execution
*Looks cool
*Lots of bang for the buck

No issues encountered so far.

I was looking for a light, inexpensive 29er frame to build up to replace my Fisher Mt Tam 29er for the 09 race season. I've done maybe 12 races on the Scandal. The verdict is in: I love this bike. I'm 5'11" with long arms and the 18" fits perfectly. The geometry is nearly identical to a Niner hardtail. Compared to the Fisher, the Scandal feels more compact and manueverable. The Fish was a 19", so that's got a lot to do with it. Goes to show you how important fit is. I had no compatibility issues with the hodgepodge of parts I threw on it- everything lines up, no clearance issues, etc. If you're looking for an inexpensive, light, sweet-handling 29er frame, definitely check out the Scandal.

Gary Fisher Mt. Tam 29er

[Nov 17, 2009]
redwarrior

Strength:

fast, light, very affordable

I have a tendency to hit my right calf on the seat stay

Very light bike with a solid parts build. Super fast and very precise cornering with the SL fork. Instant acceleration. Definitely not compliant like a thinner tubed steel bike but with low tire pressures, not very harsh when riding tech rock trails. Highly recommended.

Redline Monocog 29er

[Jul 05, 2009]
_daemon_

Strength:

Handling, climbing,

Nothing really if I have to be anal, a bottle fits just just on the downtube underneath the top tube.

I love this bike, it's the fastest bike I have ever owned, and it's soooo confidence inspiring, I am faster through twisty technical singletrack and technical downhills,on the Scandal than my Trance with 4" travel in the back. HIGHLY recommend this bike!

Giant Trance 1, Giant NRS 3

[Jun 05, 2009]
bso95

Strength:

Price, weight, color (pink), slot dropouts

thin powder coat paint job, you can see the metal color underneath, but it has not chipped yet

My bike ways one-half pound more than a Fisher superfly carbon singlespeed that my friend rides. Mine was at least a grand cheaper. Beautiful handling, long top tube, forgiving but still stiff. 21 pounds with a suspension fork and 700 gram tires. I love this bike, in fact I may buy a second one to have a geared 29er to race.

Steel On One Inbred, Storck singlespeed, Cannondale singlespeed

[May 14, 2009]
D1PHAM

Strength:

-Light (1524 grams).
-Excellent quality welds.
-Excellent black anodized finish.
-Great XC geometry.
-Sliding dropouts for gear or SS use.
-Rear brakes mount inside rear triangle this prevents the wheel from sliding back under hard braking.

-Headtube had to be re-faced upon arrival.
-Sort of long (444mm/17.48 inches) chainstays.

Great 29er XC race frameset. With decent components you can easily build up a sub 20 pound SS bike. The slot rear dropout and innovative rear caliper mounting position is ingenious and works great! The geometry is spot on and great for climbing and descending. The frame is highly compliant for a aluminum frame, much more compliant than the Niner EMD. All in all, it would be difficult to find a more cost effective, lighter and more compliant frameset. Best bang for the buck 29er frameset.

-Niner EMD

[Apr 19, 2009]
gt6jim

Strength:

Light, Great value, Nice geometery, good looking, and fast up or down hill

Anodising 'chips' fairly easily, but that is minor. Head tube was not perfectly faced. But I am nit picking!

So light, 1.59kg (frame), comparable to bikes many times its price.
Geometry is miles better than my Specialized, climbs so much better too.
Cable routing is inspired, and full length outers keeps the mud well away (we get a bit of that in blighty)
HUGE clearance for rear tyres should you want.
Rear brake is mounted between the rear stays, looks really cool in there, not a bit fiddly either. It serves a purpose in there too, not just for show.
Don't let the slot dropouts put you off running geared either, rear wheel is not much harder to remove, just different. The QR still clamps it adequetly too.
Buy one!

Specialized Rockhopper 29er

[Sep 26, 2008]
hecticj

Strength:

Extremely light, looks awesome, rides awesome!

None as of yet!

Absolutely brilliant bike, climbs like a mountain goat, decends well and feels nothing like any other bike I've owned! This is my first 29er and I love it! Great value and its amazing what it rolls over for a rigid. I've come from my 26er full sus (which now feels heavy and cumbersome!) Would recommend this bike to everyone, doesn't feel like a normal aluminum bike really compliant and comfortable. If you're looking for a light affordable race bike this is the one for you! If you're a bike tart it looks sick too!!!!

N/A