Niner Bikes M.C.R. 9 29er Hardtail

Niner Bikes M.C.R. 9 29er Hardtail

The M.C.R. 9 is the perfect all day epic geared cross country machine that will give you the comfort of supple Reynolds 853 steel at a weight only slightly higher than most alloy frames. Once again, attention to detail is everything with Niner, and the M.C.R. 9 has it all. For this geared only version, they've re-adjusted the BB drop and chainstay length while designing their chainstay bends to insure proper mud and heel clearance for even the fattest of tires (up to 2.4"). In a similar fashion to the S.I.R. 9, the M.C.R. 9 maintains the changing diameter and wall thickness of the tubesets depending on size, which means that every size frame has a ride characteristic built specifically for the rider on board. Finishing touches are all there, including the Niner stainless steel head badge, faced head tube and BB, chased BB threads, internally butted BB and faced disc brake mount for a no-fuss build.

[Oct 31, 2017]
David Hillman

Strength:

The geometry works for most people.

The construction of the frame.

My review pertains only to the Niner MCR frame. I was given an MCR frame by a friend, because it was cracked in multiple places, and thought to be scrap metal. This was after about four years of riding. I don't know the original owner, but I am told he was not particularly hard on it, mostly paths and light trails.

The bottom bracket shell was nearly separated from the frame. Cracks ran about 270 degrees around the shell. Both headtube joints were cracked as well. One side of the rear triangle was cracked. Of most concern was that the cracks were each different. Some were through the center of the weld, some were perpendicular to the weld, and some were through the heat-affected-zone of the weld. This suggests all manner of construction issues at the factory cranking these frames out.

I welded up this frame -- mostly to see if it could be done -- and have put some miles on it now, but I don't trust it. It is almost certainly going to crack again.

I would never buy a Niner frame, having seen the problems this one had. I actually find it hard to believe that Niner stays in business producing frames like this. Caveat emptor.

[Mar 22, 2016]
xmessenger

Strength:

Ride quality, atttention to detail and geometry

WARRANTY is WEAK!

I really want to like Niner. They are a smaller ,more boutique production company with great designs and thought behind the bikes. The service is typically quite good BUT Niner isn't cheap. Sure they do most of the pre production in America but these are still Taiwanese made framesnot unlike many other great brands yet they charge significantly more. Granted, they do source top quality tubing and clearly put a ton of thought behind each design but there is ZERO excuse for the poo warranty of just 2 years. My cheap Shimano Deore bottom bracket has the same warranty. People buying steel frames are hoping for a frame that will last a minimum of 5-10 years. Hell, I have a Rockt Mountain Team Comp from 92 with light weight Ultimate Ultralite Tange tubing that still rides solid. Niner should be giving these guys with busted frames warranty,period. Come on, a bit over 2 freaking years after spending $850 for a frame, a steel frame? That is weak. Bikes Direct, a mail order company offers a 99 year warranty!
Niner will and should lose business over this joke of a warranty. It just shows zero confidense in their product which is sad considering everything else. Ridiculous and no excuse.

[Jul 31, 2013]
DBH

Strength:

Geometry, steel takes the edge off the trail

Frame is weak

I bought the bike just over two years ago. I simply fell in love with the ride. It was wonderfully old school. Unfortunately I broke the frame a few months outside the warranty period. Niner's warranty is not generous. Bummer, I will miss the bike.

[Mar 25, 2013]
Mike

Strength:

I've had this bike now for about 3 years. It was a demo frame at a local bike shop and I got a killer deal on it at $500. It's been a really great frame for me. At 210 lbs I have had no issues with excessive flexing as some have stated. Rather it has been compliant and it absolutely smooths out the the bumps on the trail. It's fast to accelerate and really rails on the corners. At the local trail I ride 2-3 times per week I am actually faster on this bike than I was on my old, lighter aluminum frame by several minutes. The bikes actually weighs about 2 pounds more fully built up than what I used to have, but it corners so well that it makes my overall time faster. I have mine set-up for racing, but if I were to put a more plush seat on it I could ride it all day with no complaints. I think it is one of the best, if not the best production steel frames available. You can do anything with it. Make it a race machine, set it up for all day events, make it a commuter, ride it rigid or with a squishy up front. In any of the many configurations you really can't go wrong. Provided you don't do anything really crazy and brake it and you rust shield it before you build it up this frame should last a long, long time. It's a "wife bike" the kind you settle down with and keep.

I gotta' say the paint. Maybe the newer models have improvements, but mine has it's share of chips. You can call Niner however and they will send you some touch up paint. If you apply the paint however make sure to pick up a small bottle of clear coat at the auto store to seal it with. Otherwise it will come off pretty easily.

You can't go wrong with this frame. Some say it's not a race bike because it's a little heavier than carbon or aluminum, but it you can't get to the podium on this I doubt anything would get you there. If you can only have one bike get this and set it up any way you want for whatever your riding needs.

[Dec 29, 2012]
Mr. Knobby

Strength:

Light for steel, perfect geometry, smoothest ride possible for a hard tail, great tire clearance, I love my solid gold color. Climbs and descends with authority. I weigh 200 lbs and can ride over the roughest terrain for hours in comfort.

None. It's the perfect steel frame.

The only chance a consumer would have to top the performance of this frame is to by titanium at several time the price.

[Aug 08, 2012]
FormulaOne

Strength:

Geometry, ride and great handling. This is a non-custom frame that you can count on to be spot on for most riders as far as the geometry is concerned but the quality is almost custom and the price is way below what you'd pay for a custom steel frame. Great handling and very light!

I've been riding this bike hard for three months now and I haven't found any yet. The paint problems that others have spoken of have not happened for me despite more crashes than I'd like to admit to. I've paid close attention especially to the welds and no problems with bubbling paint or any other imperfections.

I loved building this bike. I was chasing a design that would be most suited to the trails I ride locally as I haven't the time to travel elsewhere. I wanted the lightest weight and the best ride quality without full squish. We don't need lots of gears either. So a steel 1X10 seemed the best route to take. The MCR frame is very light for a steel frame and the handling is proven. It has turned out better than expected! Acceleration out of corners is immediate, goes around corners like it's on rails and the ride is sublime. Magic Carpet Ride says it all!

Specialized Carve

[Mar 02, 2012]
brettsportler

Strength:

I bought this frame in autumn, so thought it would be wise to get the matching reynolds fork now, ride it rigid in autumn/winter and get a fox fork for spring and summer. However, I got so used to the current setup that I will probably keep it this way. Very nice riding quality, on a normal XC trail I don´t miss any suspension (use it w/ Nobby Nic 2.35 tubeless). Quite nimble on narrow single tracks, altough it still feels a tiny bit less agile than mit SS Surly 1x1 rigid.

People say the paints chips easily. They are right. After only a few hundred miles, I had to repaint a part of the fork where to brake cable (though isolated with some sort of protection from Avid). Not so cool.

Very satisfied. I´ll go for a week of transalp in summer, we´ll see wether I´ll miss front suspension. But please Niner guys, learn how to coat your frames! Surly frames cost not even half of what you ask and I never had this problem before!

Surly 1x1 (similiar?!)

[Feb 23, 2012]
Dylan Rose-Coss
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Bike made me feel like a billy goat.

Well it broke and the company wouldn't warranty it for me. The dropout on the drive side cracked right through one day riding just simply riding home from school. The bike is like 2.5 years old, just out of the fairly paltry 2 year warranty period. I bought the steal for its durability and strength; I thought I was going to have this bike for life, commute on it, and ride the trails, then tour it across the continent. I guess not though. Thanks a lot niner bikes.

Well I thought Niner bikes was a cool company, I'm fairly hurt that they are not going to warranty their faulty product. Guess I will be looking other places for my new frame : (

ridden many different types of bikes

[Sep 19, 2011]
cradtke

Strength:

Ride, Handling.

Price.

Bike flys through rough singletrack and rockgardens. My 38yr old back loves this bike. Best 29er hardtail in my opinion.

Gt Avalanche, Gt IDXC 3.0, Gt Peace, Raliegh xxix ss, Schwinn s95.3, Paramount, Trek 7000.

[Sep 10, 2011]
kermitgreen

Strength:

Love the ride and looks of the Reynolds 853 steel frame.

Everyone gripes about the paint chipping/scratching easily, but really, when you ride and wreck in the dirt, what do you expect?

Demoed a Vassago Bandersnatch and a Niner SIR 9 (same geo as MCR 9). The Niner seemed way more nimble on the twisty local singletrack I favor. Opted for the MCR 9 frame instead 'cause I need my gears! Plus the glowing Kermit Green paint really makes my bike stand out. This bike goes where I point it. Whether it's the 29" wheels, the fat Panaracer's or the Reynolds 853 frame, all I know is this bike rides awesome. There's a tricky little off-camber, dog-leg, low speed, rock garden on my fav trail. Three out of four times on my old 26" aluminum I would fail to clean this section. On the MCR 9 I haven't dabbed yet!

None, just my trusty fisher 26" alum. hardtail