Motobecane Outcast 29 29er Hardtail

• Alex 29inch Anodized Aluminum Double Wall rims
  • Stainless Spokes

[Mar 12, 2017]
Trey Flint

Strength:

Long lasting, stock tires lasted forever, sanded and restored frame and is like new again

stock tires are noisy and have lots of rolling resistance. frame paint will chip off and show mild corrosion if you don't keep your eye on it.

Rigid bike is also extremely bouncy and rough on anything too technical.

Could maybe be lighter but I'm not sure.

got this in 2010 and traded my Trek for it. I got it because of the frustration and difficulty I was having with geared bikes and wanted something more reliable and simpler than gears.
also was my first 29er experience. but I tell you one thing, this bike has lasted forever and was well worth the value and trade.

Still might change some components but still has many of it's stock components holding strong. This bike wouldn't be a bad choice for those who would like to make it into a hybrid. the frame is an aluminum rigid so you can expect a very choppy ride on some trails. 29er wheels barely help you there.

I am not easy on bikes and this thing has lasted well beyond the lifespan I have heard for an aluminum frame. Recently sanded it down and sprayed new paint and now looks good again.

Well beyond worth its price.

[Apr 29, 2013]
tylerw

Strength:

price
durability
ride

v brakes only

I purchased this bike in 2009. I rode this bike in the southern nevada desert and now in the midwest. I have been harder than i should have been on this bike. Neglected it as in never doing any maintenance work to it. I just re-greased the original hubs and headset a month ago. The bottom bracket has not been serviced since i purchased it. This bike is tough and can take some abuse. The only drawback i can think of about this bike is having no option for disc brakes. That was never an issue for me when i lived in the desert. In the midwest I deal with snow and creek crossings and mud. Now the v brakes are kind of an issue. The bike is for sure worth every single penny though. It is now going to be sitting more due to me getting my first geared 29er hardtail.

[Jun 24, 2012]
dredul

Strength:

PRICE... frame... some of the components...

Some of the components... the brakes, seatpost/saddle, stem...

For the money, great bike, ready to ride, and pure fun (takes you back to your first bike, single speed, get up and goooo....) ok as is, but even better after a few upgrades (and they don't have to be expensive or hi-end upgrades), swapped fork, brakes, seatpost/saddle, stem and handlebar... now ready to go... very happy with bike's performance and frame is pretty good.

[May 29, 2011]
jd

Strength:

crank rims frame are tough i beat the hell on this bike

changed out seat,and post thomson. handlebars and stem specialiazed and kwikcross tyres for good wheathertyres that came for winter

for the money this is one of the best bikes i have oned i lost my job and sold my bianchi san jose to pay bills i seen this bike and took the chance

trek langster

[Jan 16, 2011]
Hurst84

Strength:

The bike is fun to ride changed the 42T to the 33T chainring that came with the bike. It was easy to assemble and took less than an hour to put together

The handle bars are narrow compared to the redline

I would purchase another one it came with disk brakes a TruVativ sealed bottom bracket the front fork is a Rockshox Dart 3 Hydraulic rebound damping adjust, 100mm travel + a crown-mounted turnkey lockout lever. The tires are Kenda Nevegal 29X2.2 the seat is a WTB speedV sport SE and the bike allows you to make it a 9 speed if you wish.

Redline monocog 29er

[Dec 04, 2010]
bryan_d

Strength:

Affordability. Burly. For 95%+ of population, it's more bike than anyone really needs.

The moment you upgrade ANY parts you just wasted your money. This is NOT an upgrade platform!

If you have poor line choice, are easily hurt by brand loyal a55hats, don't know how to suck up the bumps or jump over them, are not able to determine corner entry speed, are out of shape, are not mechanically inclined, then this bike is not for you.

Otherwise for $350 shipped this is one heck of a cheap thrill.

Sliding drop-out Outcast29, SE Stout, and Redline Monocog.

[Aug 07, 2010]
Buggyr333

Strength:

Great Frame Design, Feels Powerful, Great price

Poor Componentry

This review is for the Motobecane Outcast Disk version with front suspension and sliding dropout.

So this bike is cool, handles well, feels durable, not too heavy, not too light though either. However the components on it are pretty terrible. The bars and stem are terrible quality, the tektro disk brakes work well but are hard to adjust correctly, the tires are definitely not the best, I haven't had any problems with the hubs but they are on the lower end of the product scale, and the Dart fork is not very good either.

However the frame design is excellent (with the sliding dropouts) is a great design and the rims are plenty strong.

Still worth the money though, not necessarily a great deal, but not a bad one either

GT Peace SS

[May 23, 2010]
rsbuell

Strength:

Low price and stout light frame

Standard components on bike are inexpensive and will not stand up beyond 1000 miles of cross country riding

This bike has rapid acceleration and excellent handling in hardpack and sandy conditions. For the relatively flat riding on African savannah this is a great ride that outperforms far more expensive Santa Cruz Blur and Specialized Brains which I also ride. If want a simple, low maintenance bike, with excellent performance this is a great ride with upgrades of the basic components.

Grades more than 15% are not climbable on this bike.

Surly 1X1

[May 18, 2010]
Kwog

Strength:

Price. Fun bike to ride once its fitted to you. Once you get used to the heave required this is a smooth wheelie machine, which is what riding a bike is all about anyway right?

This bike takes more effort to lift the front wheel than any bike I have ever riden. My friends Windsor 29 with a front suspension takes about half the grunt to get the front wheel up and over obstacles. It think the geometry on this thing may need to be rethought. I ride everything like a bmx bike so I put TNT cruiser bars on it to get rid of the nosedive feeling. I felt like I was going over the bars the whole time I was riding it, this plus the enourmous effort to lift the front wheel was added to the spooky feeling of the bike.

Its a fun "ride wheelies around town" bike but I never got comfortable enough to tackle things with reckless abandon. I really wanted to give this bike a better review, I love the looks and the idea of the single 29 but this particular bike falls short in the feel department for me.

Redline 24" cruiser, any bmx bike

[Aug 13, 2009]
mad_bart

Strength:

Low Cost, Comes with 33t chainring

Brakes, levers, handlebars, stem, saddle, no disc tabs

This bike is great if you've got some parts laying around to swap out right away.

The tektro brakes and levers blow. The seat post is too short and the stock saddle is uncomfortably soft.

I rode this bike at Ore to Shore 2009 and it held up perfectly!

I'd recommend changing the tires, since the Nevegals are heavy and not fast rolling at all.

This is my first SS and 29er, overall I'm sold on big wheels and single speeding. This bike will be my primary mountain bike until I get more cash, then it will be resigned to commuting. I really wish this thing ha disc tabs because then your wheel choices wouldn't be as limited.