Moots Mooto X YBB 29er Hardtail

This is our most popular mountain bike, for good reason. Taking what we have learned in refining the YBB soft tail designed mountain bike for over the last 20 years and adding the platform of 29? wheels has created a dream cross country combination. Just over an inch of rear wheel travel in conjunction with those big, fast and easy rolling 29? wheels delivers a ride that many categorize as ?magical.? Our experience in designing and building 29ers over the last ten years has led to us really dial in the geometry to what we feel creates the perfect ride. The Mooto X YBB picks off everyday cross country rides with ease and morphs into your favorite all day, 12 hour and 24 hour machine in one maintenance free, no hassle all grin ride. Built in 4 stock sizes out of our US seamless Pi Tech, size specific tubing as well as custom you are assured a spot on ride, each ride. Intended use: Cross country ride or race, classic Moots softail in a big wheeled brother.

Marc   Cross Country Rider [Apr 02, 2014]
Strength:

Front End Stiffness: The knock against this bike in the past was a twitchy front end, probably the knock against most 29ers, but with the 2012 redesign (44mm headtube, bigger BB, curved tubes, new geometry) and the bigger thru-axle on the Fox fork, it is tremendous.

Climbing: Just wow!

Speed: It just seems to go fast. Not sure if that is the bike or the new I9's but it gets up to speed quickly. Been a Chris King guy for a long time and still love them but these I9's truly rock.

Tight Twisty Singletrack: A combination of a slightly lower BB, a bit steeper HT, and that really stiff front-end have this bike handling like no 29er I have ever ridden.

Simplicity: No more locking out my rear shock, no more thinking about my rear shock. No more thinking about a front shifter, granted that is the 1x11, but it is still one less thing.

Technical Skill: This bike definitely requires more technical skill than a full-suspension 29er, much like a hardtail would. I certainly choose my lines more carefully. This may be seen as a weakness by some, so be it, but I feel more engaged.

The Big Smile on My Face: From seeing it through my car's back window on my rack to every moment of fun riding it, simply the perfect bike for me.

None so far.

Price seems to be the only issue. I don't mind spending extra for Made in the USA. The bike is truly a thing of beauty. Just put new cassette, chain rings, chain, cables, and bar tape on my 12 year old Litespeed road bike, rubbed it down with some Pledge, and it looks and rides like it came out of the factory yesterday. Titanium has value, it does not fatigue like other metals, and is a joy to ride. What is that worth?

Absolutely the best bike I have ever ridden and the most fun I have ever had on a mountain bike. Dropped a lot of coin on a high-end build but it has been three days and 8 hours in the saddle and it is already worth every cent.

The YBB design simply works. Very first ride was 3.5 hours in Dupont and although I was exhausted at the end, I was not beat up like I would have been on a Hardtail.

Who is it for? Someone who realizes that they don't need 4" or more of rear suspension when running tubeless on a 29er but does not want to get beat up by a Hardtail. Loved my Ellsworth Evolve with 4" rear but locked it out on a lot of what I ride. Tried a Titanium Cohutta Hardtail and it beat up my back.

Who is it not for? Someone who realizes they need 4" or more of rear suspension on a 29er. With the combination of the YBB and the Titanium, this is like a Hardtail with a bit of magic thrown in.

Similar Products Used: Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper FSR
Ellsworth Evolve
Litespeed Cohutta
LCastano   Weekend Warrior [Jan 21, 2013]
Strength:

Durable, reliable, beautiful.

Would like a little more travel for nasty downhills, but wasn't designed for that.

Bought in 2010. I have ridden it hard for 3 years in very nasty trails intended for full suspension bikes. No squeaks, no damage even after some falls and lots of abuse. Bike looks and feels like new. Expensive, but quality always pays you back.
Ran tubes for a while. What a difference when running tubeless, which allows a little extra cushion.

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher hardails, Stumpjumper FSR.
Chris Erickson   Cross Country Rider [Jul 08, 2012]
Strength:

I just finished building this frame up and I must say the ride is fantastic.

None so far

I just built this 19" frame up with some truly great components. I am running a 1x9 set up with XT cranks 32T front cog, XTR carbon GS rear, 11-34 XO cassette, XT shifter, King headset and bottom bracket, Salsa pro moto carbon riser bars, Avid Elixir CR 9 carbon brakes, Fox F29 100mm fork with King +5mm crown race, Candy 3 pedals, Thomson stem and seat post and WTB pure V seat, ODI Rogue grips, Stans Arch Tubeless wheel set with Hope Pro 2 hubs, and Maxxis Crossmark UST tires. It weighs right in at 24.5 lbs with out pedals and just a tad over 25 with the Candy 3's,

Similar Products Used: Salsa Dos Niner
h2otaco   Cross Country Rider [Mar 05, 2012]
Strength:

Handles beautifully on smooth to moderately technical trails. Cornering. Climbing. Efficient pedaling. Build quality. Looks.

A little sketchy on extremely technical sections... rear end tends to want to deflect and jump around. Weight is a bit much for such a minimalist ti design.

If you like riding hardtails then you will LOVE this bike. It's like a hardtail with a touch of magic. If you like full suspension, then this bike will feel harsh and unforgiving. The YBB suspension just takes that initial shock out of a bump, but it doesn't eat the bump up like a real shock would. You also cant feel the shock at all while pedaling. You can look back and see the tiniest bit of movement when pedaling, but it is absolutely undetectable and the bike accelerates as any hard tail would.

It handles amazingly well in flowy single track, better than any bike I have ever ridden. The only situation where I feel that a full suspension bike would outperform it is when carrying a lot of speed through extremely technical terrain (i.e. terrain where there really is no good line).

Asthetics and build quality on the Moots is second to none. There is not a single flaw on this bike. Craftsmanship is outstanding.

I'm going with 4 on value because it is CRAZY expensive... but I won't go any lower than that because it will probably outlast every bike I've ever had. So in 5-6 years when I haven't bought another bike to replace it... it will have proven itself to be a good value.

Similar Products Used: Owned: Soul Cycles Dillinger, Specialized Epic 29er. Demo: Fisher Superfly 100, Superfly Hardtail, Rumblefish.
signalMTB   Racer [Nov 10, 2011]
Strength:

highest quality craftsmanship you expect from Moots, super light build capability, excellent geometry (except for TT length), control and balance are perfect

nothing really except price compared to most others, but if I had to say anything...the top tube length is too short for the stand-over height on a medium. can mitigate with a setback just fine though

This was my first 29er purchase and one that I would do again. It corners better than any 26" ever made, climbs great, big wheels and ti just take all the fuss out of anything. Chainstays are perfect length/balance for technical riding, manuals, etc. The YBB has just enough travel that takes the thud out of the trail without any climbing compromise. These bikes are crazy expensive, and my build was pushing $9k but I can honestly say that I'll actually save money in the long run because this is the last bike I'll ever buy and I'm only 37 (and I have another 26 ti hardtail for my SS)...well maybe I'll get a Mooto XZ next but that would happen regardless of my current rides. I'm 5'11" with a 34" sleeve length and 32" inseam. Standover is good, but TT length at 23" is a bit short for a frame of this size. I mitigate this with a 110mm stem and setback post and the setup is perfect, perfectly balanced. Consider custom geometry before purchasing. But if you have all your finances in order, kids have food and clothes and the wife is happy...then go for it, you won't regret it.