Misfit Psycles diSSent Frame 29er Hardtail

• Disc and V-Brake ONLY
  • 6061 Aluminum
  • Corrected for axle to crown of 470mm (approx 90mm suspension allowing for 80mm or 100mm)

• User Reviews (29)

CuzinMike   Cross Country Rider [Jul 29, 2013]
    Strength:

Stiff, yet smoother than aluminum has any right to be. Great stand-over clearance. Sliding dropouts are simple, yet effective and stay put after you tighten them. Climbs like a rocket, yet not too twitchy on the up DiSSents...

Paint chips easily (if that matters to you). No tapered headtube option (yet). Long-ish chainstays make getting the front wheel over obstacles take a little more effort.

This is my 3rd 29er, 2nd singlespeed and first bike I've built from the frame up. I purchased my XL on closeout for $250 as it was at the end of a production run. I guess the DiSSent is kind of old school now, as it doesn't have the short chainstays and slack headtube that's so popular now, but damn if it doesn't work like magic for XC. I run mine rigid with an On-One carbon fork and it's as compliant as I could ask a rigid bike to be, freight-train stable and maneuverable enough to still be fun, though going fast is what it really wants to do. The bottom bracket is a little low so you have to watch for pedal strikes, but the frame really offers an "in the bike" feel that makes it so easy to carve corners. I've been riding mine as much as possible for 8 months, and it's my favorite bike I've owned in 20+ years of riding. Even for $500 bucks I think this frame is built to last and a good value, but for $250 it was a no-brainer. Yeah, steel is real, but when aluminum frames ride this good, who really cares?

Flat Ark   [Dec 14, 2012]
    Strength:

Stiff but somehow very smooth - handling - plenty of standover - good climber

Not a huge fan of the sliding dropouts on this frame but admittedly they do work. I've definitely had worse setups but ultimately I prefer dropouts with limit screws such as Paragon sliders.

Thanks to the diSSent I am now a reformed bike Ho!!!! My wife says YAAAAYYYYY!!!!!

I have been through A LOT of bikes over the last 3 years or so "up to 5 per year" and while I would find characteristics in most of those bikes that I liked each one of them always had something that was just missing. I've had several Salsas and they were great climbers and motored on the flats but just didn't seem to turn very well. I always felt disconnected from what the tires were doing beneath me. Fishers handled amazing with their G2 geometry but I always felt like I was pushing a wheelbarrow because the front wheel seemed so far out front and I felt as though I sat too low behind the front axle. Had a Vassago Jabberwocky and it was sooooo smooth and was the best climbing bike that I have owned (including the Misfit) but I could never get the front end to stick and crashed seemingly every other ride due to the front end suddenly/unexpectedly washing out mid-corner. Had a Niner One 9 and although I can't say much bad about it I just felt the bike bike to be too neutral feeling and uninspiring. Forward to the diSSent. My first ride on this bike was a revelation! FINALLY I found exactly what I had been searching for! The bike climbs and motors fantastic! I ride rigid and it is an awesome feeling when bombing a rough and rooty downhill and at the bottom you look back to see that you have dusted a guy on a FS whose frame cost more than my entire bike! :) Or you are all over the back wheel of that same guy on those downhills. Where this bike really shines though is through the corners! I NEVER feel disconnected from what the tires are doing. I can fly through loose corners and I don't have to worry about the tires losing traction. The geometry just makes them stick like glue. I guess what I am getting at is the bike is confidence inspiring to say the least. I still find myself looking at the latest/greatest carbon, Ti or steel SS frames but for once I can turn away because I'm confident there isn't a better riding frame out there. At least not until Peter comes out with a carbon version! :)

Bob Baker   Cross Country Rider [Sep 11, 2012]
    Strength:

Looks Awesome! Turns head with unique style. Tracks exceptionaly well in tight trails. Handles better than any setup I owed so far.

Got to build it your self.

I've raced cross country for a little over a year now. I bought a single speed thinking I wanted to train on it riding local hills. I've fallen hard for single speeds now. In Texas, the SS Cat and Age is way to open for my age being CAT 2-3 Age 1-99 on single speeds. I'm tempted to ride it, because I love my diSSent AL Singlespeed 29er so much.

My Local ride is a max 100 feet climb at a 4-5% grade. It handles technical with ease. Big steps in the Texas Hill country are made easy on the Misfit. Coming down those steps is just as fun. On Flat twisty tracks it handles like a 26er. You'll soon be setting personal records with ease, because of the confidence you'll gain with it's handling. The low BB and short wheelbase will have you out riding your geared buddies in no time.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Trail SL 3
    extremedave   Cross Country Rider [Jul 24, 2012]
    Strength:

Handling, ride, speed.

Climbing, sizing.

Bought the bike used as a fully built SS, Large ALC frame, 100mm Reba. I had planned on doing a complete build on either a soul cycle Dillenger, On One Inbred or a Canfield. The Dissent was probably fourth but I couldn't pass up the deal and I'm glad I jumped on it!
    The bike flat rips. It's impossible to go slow. Even on a rough DH run, the bike rides amazingly well and I regularly out run my FS (26) buddies. But the best part is the handling. It just carves, I still can't get over how stable yet agile it is. Flowing or tight singletrack is what this bike is meant for. As mentioned the ride is impressive for an aluminum frame. It's perhaps not as plush as steel but entirely fine on my old (43) bones.
    The only real negatives are it doesn't climb as well as my old xxix, which had a fairly noodley frame and long stays. Still good, but the rear tire isn't quite as stuck when climbing as some other 29ers. Also sizing is different, at 5.10 I'm between sizes on many bikes but usually wind up medium. Peter recommended large which works, but I am a bit stretched out. I haven't had any real issue with the sliders but I am pretty anal regarding maintenance!
    If you want something different that really does work, I don't think you can go wrong here.

Similar Products Used: Raleigh XXIX
    GF X-Cal
    superanalog   Cross Country Rider [Mar 14, 2012]
    Strength:

Tough powder coat, easy conversion for geared or single speed, perfect geometry

none so far

Best $ spent on a mountain frame. Its perfect in so many ways.

Similar Products Used: Bianchi SOK, Surly Karate Moneky
    Eses29   Cross Country Rider [Feb 03, 2012]
    Strength:

Super agile, steady, corners like a 6er rolls like a big wheel oughta. I have a 29 caffeine and my DiSsent blows it away. Granted I've built it up for racing but the frame compliments my riding style perfectly; aggressive and quick. Climbing on this thing is radical and with my CK hub this bike practically does the work for me. My overall favorite attribute is the way I feel in the cockpit, it's almost as if I'm riding just behind the front wheel making the control just extraordinary. Definitely an 'in the bike' feel. I ride rigid, and the feedback is outstanding, the frame gives me the confidence to know I can hit any bank, switchback, or singly track roller coaster and purely enjoy the ride without worrying about buckling or catching, super nimble.

Nada

Buy it ride it love it. It's not just a bike, it's a lifestyle. Ride on.

Similar Products Used: Cannon caffeine 29 totally different ride tho.
    fatlip11   Weekend Warrior [Jan 16, 2012]
    Strength:

I am 6'5" and 210 lbs, I bought the XL and it's a great fit. The bike is solid and doesn't flex in the wrong spots but provides a comfortable ride for an aluminum hard tail. It is a confidence inspiring ride that places the rider in the bike... what can I say? It just feels good! Very happy with my decision!

None so far.

If you are on the fence for a SS 29er, jump on this bike!

Similar Products Used: Trek
    JokerSC   Cross Country Rider [Dec 09, 2011]
    Strength:

I like this bike alot. I originally rode it rigid for a year, then early this year I put a reba on it. About 2 months ago I made it rigid again....I don't think I am going to put the Reba back on....I really like the way the bike handles and rides with the rigid fork. Really nimble, no flex, climbs great!

None really to mention

Great bike, affordable. Overall, I spend about 50% of my time riding on this bike. My geared bike gets the other love. Great value, great bike!

PointBoy   Cross Country Rider [Sep 26, 2011]
    Strength:

Sliding dropouts with integrated disc mounts, light, well made, looks killer, great geometry, comfortable for an aluminum bike

None at all

I'm really enjoying this bike a lot; so much that since I built it I haven't ridden any other bike in my stable which includes a new 29 FS rig. I got the ALC version direct from Misfit with free shipping. I really like the sliding dropouts which make chain adjustment easy. In the future I'd love to see a tapered head tube on this bike.

pascale27   Cross Country Rider [Aug 29, 2011]
    Strength:

bang for your buck is off the charts, very nimble, climbs well, awesome geometry

did alot of research and talked to alot of people who ride the diSSent before pulling the trigger. Bought the bike direct from Misfit. The bike is every thing you read above. The frame is stiff but not harsh. Very nimble, climbs like a mtn goat, and decends like a champ. The bike feels as maneuverable as my old Cannondale 26er and compared to my frind's Selma, the diSSent is a much better ride (less harsh and much more agile). The geo of the frame makes you forget your on a 29er, you don't feel perched up onto some tall frame. And you still obviously get all the advantages of the big wheels. I bought the V-brake version of the diSSent (that's the only frame they had in stock in a small). It was only $250 on closeout. Knowing how this rides now, i would gladly cough up the $750 for the ALC version. If you're thinking of getting a 29er frame on a budget go for the $450 version and never look back.