Lynskey Performance Designs Ridgeline 29 VF 29er Hardtail

The Lynskey Ridgeline 29er hardtail is designed for cross-country or endurance racing, singletrack, and all mountain riding. We’ve tuned the multi-shaped tubeset to create the perfect blend of lightweight, quickness, acceleration, comfort, and durability in the way that only titanium can.

HANDLING
You'll immediately notice quick yet stable steering, but not to the point of being twitchy. We’ve added an oversize headtube to take advantage of the larger 44mm headsets. These larger bearing surfaces make for a more solid front end. This headtube also accommodates both straight or tapered front forks.

RIDE QUALITY
The Ridgeline's multi-shaped and cold-worked tubeset is designed to give a balance of stiffness and comfort. This is especially beneficial for endurance racing or long day rides.

POWER TRANSFER
The massive 1.75 inch downtube provides the backbone to lock in the bottom bracket. A firm bottom bracket area is the primary component in transferring pedaling energy to the rear wheel.

Greg   All Mountain Rider [Nov 27, 2017]
Strength:

Ti frame made in the US, excellent handling, good size range, rear tire clearance (2.5!), versatile. No chipped paint! Flawless welds. Made for serious use, you can beat the tar out of it without worry.

HA may be a bit steep for modern mtb (adjusted in the newer models), 27.2 diameter seat post limits choice for droppers

I bought this frame/fork during their 2016 summer sale, too good a deal to pass up, and I'd been wanting a Ridgeline for years. Finally showed up just the way I wanted - fixed dropouts, thru axles, tapered HT, short stays, mega tire clearance, etc. I got the MRP Loop fork, good choice, although I wish I could increase the travel past 100mm. I'm running it 3x9 with a mix of xtr/sram, Zee brakes, Xfusion dropper, aggressive Maxxis tires (2.5 front 2.3 rear). I'm 6'3", 210, on a size XL, 60mm stem, 800mm carbon bars.

Stiff frame, feels great when standing and hammering. Loves to go fast. Steeper head angle is a bonus in slow technical terrain but requires full attention at speed. Took a little getting used to after my previous ride, a steel HT that was long and low and slack, tore up the downs but required lots of muscle to get through anything slow and tricky. The Ridgeline by contrast is a finely balanced scalpel, threads a techy line with easy control.

I originally ran it with lighter xc wheels and tires, but now have a heavier all mountain setup to roll on and it's really come into its own. Takes a little more to get it going but then it's unstoppable.

jrendrag   Cross Country Rider [Oct 11, 2017]
Strength:

Everything! Handeling, ride quality, lifetime warranty, its just an awesome bike

No real weaknesses, but I do have larger feet (size 12) I ride an XL frame. The new 148mm rear boost spacing has moved the chain stays out just enough that my heels rub a few times during each of my rides. I hope to add a couple small spacers to my BB and move the Q factor out just enough to keep this from being a weekness. I don't think this would be a problem if you feet were smaller.

I noticed there were no reviews since 2015, what's up with that? This bike is too great to not review it. I bought mine just recently as a frame and built it up myself. I've been riding bikes for a long time and I just love 29er HT's. I've had a several aluminum & steel frames, but felt it was time to really find a bike that could LOVE. I mean that kind of bike that keep a smile on my face every time i ride it!!! I can honestly say that this bike does just that. I went with a 1x11 SRAM GX set-up. XT brakes, Enve M50 wheels, Fox Float 120mm, syntace 780mm carbon bar, Niner carbon seat post (designed to flex), etc. I can't say enough great things about this bike. It is super comfortable (for a HT), climbs superbly, descends almost as good as a full suspension XC oriented bike and just makes me want to go FASTER! All the time. I bought a 2016 frame at first, but felt a little cramped in the cockpit, so I upgraded to the current 2017 with a longer ETT and Reach. This really was a good decision fits just right now. If you are thinking seriously about this bike I would strongly encourage you to make the purchase. Don't try and find a lower cost solution just get the quality frame and never look back!!!

Similar Products Used: Niner Air 9, On One Inbred, Surly, Salsa
Edgars G   [Feb 12, 2015]
Strength:

Great handling, smooth, good climbing.

I have ridden carbon and aluminum frames before. This frame far and beyond exceeds quality of the ride, both on downhill and climbing. (Both single track and fire road).

Gary Argyle   [Jan 01, 2015]
Strength:

Super handling and power transfer with a great ride for all day use. Very steady up and down hills. I got industrial finish with etching to compliment the perfect welds.

I purchased a frame and built up with XT drive train and brakes, Hope hubs and Stans rims,Race Face bar and Atlas pedals,Thomson seat post and Fox 32 Float 29 100 fit fork. I also fit road fenders and 700-32 Schalb Durano plus tires as i use this bike for road and trail use.

way2slow   [Jul 22, 2014]
Strength:

Ride quality/handling, durability

Cost

So I ve had my Ridgeline since May 2014, my second one after the first was stolen from my garage. Some POS out there! The first one I had for a year so I ve had some time on this bike. My other MTB is a SC Tallboy which has also been a stellar performer for me. But these days I cant seem to ride anything else but my Lynskey. It turns better/sharper that the TB (must be the 71 HA) and shines on climbs, no goosh as with the TB. With correct tire pressure the ride is smooth enough that my aging back does not complain. The bike is dressed out with XX1 components, World Cup SID XX, and DT hubs/Crest rims built by Dave Thomas. Weight is 22.7 lbs. XT disc brakes, XTR pedals. My only regret is perhaps I should have got the Pro29

Ridgeline 29er   [Mar 26, 2014]
Strength:

Looks

Customer service. Delivery.

I ordered a Ridgeline. It was produced on the exact date as promised. However, when packing, I was infromed that the fork that comes with the complete build was not in stock. Therefore, I had to pay an additional $250 for an upgrade. I wasn't too upset but felt like I should have got a better deal las I priced it out and I believe I paid the same as I would have if I bought the fork online.

Today, my bikeshop was putting the bike together and discovered that Lynskey shipped the wrong clamp for the shifters. The bike has S&S couplers and mechanical brakes, which comes with a specific clamp. So my bikeshop had to order the clamp from their vender and I have to wait another two days.

Again, not a huge deal, but these two foul ups and the fact that the sales guys seems to be at a loss when it comes to communicating with their builders, knowing anything about parts such as forks, and appear to get overwhelmed doesn't leave me with much confidence should the frame crack or something and I have to deal with these guys again.

I'll update once I get to ride the thing and then again after I travel with it.

David   Racer [Mar 03, 2014]
Strength:

Amazing ride quality, intuitive geometry, light, strong, fast, beautiful titanium construction, made in the USA

none, this bike has never let me down

I ride and race this bike in Michigan. I bought it last spring prior to the Lumberjack 100. It performed flawlessly in the race. The handling is awesome. You can whip this bike through singletrack. It feels very nimble and goes right where you want it to. It climbs, descends, and corners really well. Very efficient power transfer, minimal flex to pedaling, dampens trail vibration well. Most Michigan trails are soil with roots and occasional rocks and sand. The upper part of the state has more technical stuff in Marquette and Copper Harbor. This bike is at home on all of it. Its absolutely flies and feels stable at high speeds. This was my first titanium bike after about 10 years of aluminum. Very happy with this purchase. Its still my favorite bike and I absolutely love riding it!

The Lynskey Titanium seatpost that came with the bike is also great. It has never made noise and my seat has never slipped.

Rosemary   Cross Country Rider [Jan 14, 2014]
Strength:

Very light bike - all my friends who pick it up to put on a roof, lift over a gate etc comment on it.
It is really comfortable even after literally hours of riding. I had a thudbuster seatpost on my old bike - definitely no need for one on this.
It is simple to maintain, it looks good.
You can ride really fast on it.

It's a big investment to make without having tried one out.
As others have said, the decals are wearing off a bit, but I am not that fussed.

I ride my bike cross-country in the UK on wild stuff and occasionally at trail centres. I ride for fun and competitively in adventure races and sometimes off-road triathlons. My longest single ride has been 90km carrying kit, and I have done events with back to back days of riding.

I bought the bike and straight away did a week long event, riding about 65km a day. Once I had got used to the handling I had a lot of fun. I am an average height female (just over 5' 4") and the sizing is perfect.

The bike excels compared to my old aluminium 26er on rocky bumpy stuff, where it just pops over things much more easily. I love riding rocky uphill trails on it! Also on wide, easy trails and fire-roads sections it is fast and easy to ride, and I am always doing bits like this to join up the fun stuff.

It has taken me a while to get used to the 2x10 set up (less spinning up hills) and the inner chainring wears out quite fast.

I wouldn't change my original spec apart from the tyres and the quick releases. I just got new tyres and went tubeless at the same time as the Schwalbe tyres were extremely tight on the Stans rims (I've only had 4 punctures but all troublesome). I wouldn't recommend that combination. The Hope QRs tend to come loose in an unpredictable fashion.

Overall, I love this bike for the styling, comfort and performance.

Similar Products Used: None - I just went for a massive upgrade from my first mountain bike (a Cannondale F500).
elsantos66   [Dec 18, 2013]
Strength:

Simple and clean frame, I got the Industrial Finish treatment, XT built, and Stan Wheels, WTB tires and X-Fusion Fork, which I may replace further... first ride coming from a Merlin TI 26, and the handling is very good, it grips to the ground nicely and it keep it self on the ground...

May be the Linskey Decals don't look as durable as on the Merlin Frame... other than that, a superb build frame, very high end finish on welds... Original Linskey seat is pretty comfortable even that it looks cheap.... I may replace the FSA Seat Post, and Stem and handle bar for Thompson as on My 26 Merlin.

Worth the 1.5 month for building the frame.. 3 day delivery and out of the box, just a few tweaks and is ready to go. Very nicely packaged too. I compared this frame with Santa Cruz, Yeti and Cannondale... aluminum and carbon, and I decided to stick with TI, no worries about scratches, paint damages or broken frames... You can never go wrong with a TI hand made build. All your buddies are going to tell You, why TI and why not carbon or aluminum, don't waste Your time convincing them, on the trails they will know why You pick TI.

Now I am setting my eyes on the FAT Ti Stratus from them...

Brad Johnson   Cross Country Rider [Nov 21, 2013]
Strength:

Durable, light, and extremely fast!!! Handles well and is extremely comfortable. No problems at all, except for a few minor tweaks from taking some pretty hard licks. Outstanding bike overall. Highly recommended!!

N/A Not that big of a deal, but I would get etched lettering if I had it to do it over again.

I have ridden my 2012 Ridgeline 29 VF for a little over a year now. It was essentially the same bike as pictured, with an upgraded fork to Rock Shox SID XX. I would highly recommend this bike for anyone. I can't believe the abuse that it has taken. Other than a bent rear derailer after an encounter with a rock, which was quickly fixed, and a few scrapes on the vinyl decals, the bike is just as solid as the day that I picked it up. Don Erwin was excellent to work with and I am completely sold on Lynskey. They truly build a quality product.