Lynskey Performance Designs MT 29er Hardtail

Lynskey Performance Designs MT 29er Hardtail

Built around Shimano's XT components, Mavic CrossOnewheels and an FSA cockpit, the MT 29 is ready for just about anything your trail riding dreams might conjure up. You’ll fly down fire roads, blast through rock gardens and glide over roots and ruts.

• Certified Aerospace Grade 3Al/2.5V straight gauge titanium tubing
  • Durable Industrial Mill finish
  • 2014 Shimano XT component group
  • Mavic CrossOne wheels
  • FSA seatpost, handlebar and stem
  • Under top tube cable routing
  • Disc brake specific design
  • Large frame weighs approx 3.4 pounds
  • Small frame only allows room for one Down Tube water bottle mount position

[Nov 15, 2015]
matin

Strength:

After 2 years, this bike continues to impress. Don't know if anyone remembers the old Delta 26er Ti, but I had it for a bit...flexy but fun in the rough. The Lynskey is NOT what I would call flexy at all...but it absorbs the chatter...not like a FS of course, but much better than a carbon and much more supple than a steel frame...or maybe the word isn't supple...it just sort of "absorbs" the roots and rocks in a more refined way...and hey...I love steel! TO get the most out of it I put in a works headset to give me a bit more relaxed headtube angle with 120mm forks so it works out to about 69.5 of an angle. What this means is a comfy position for bombing down the ruts while still allowing a good climbing experience on the way up. Another experiment with an explosif with a 67.5 headtube angle led to very bad climbing ability....FWIW

Realy none....i would like to have a rounded or chambered seat tube exit as the Lynskey seems to have an aggressive "bite" on seat tubes...causing some eaten seatposts but only those that aren't alu.

XC champ of a machine here folks. I don't understand why the regular joe would pick carbon over this frame...I mean if you are a PRO racing guy with sponsors, yeah, you would want a bit lighter weight and maybe..maybe more stiffness but overall...anyone looking at an all-day XC or just a comfy 2 hour unit...you can't beat this frame...period. I sold my IF and my Kona steel frames after riding this one after 3 rides...it was not in the cards initially but damn if this bike doesn't deliver.

rocky mtn blizzard, spot, kona explosif 853(very nice), trek 930, spec-ed stumpy, trek carbon, gary fisher alu

[Sep 16, 2015]
29rider

Strength:

The bike rides well. I have no complaints. It's a good hard tail and performs like a 29'er hard tail should.

Customer service.

It's a good bike. My second Lynskey. Too bad their customer service remains so poor. When the time comes there won't be a third.

[Aug 19, 2015]
David Sim

Strength:

Migrating some components ( DT fork , XT Drive train , wheels ) from my BMC TE-03 2013 for the Lynskey MT29 , Yr 2014 version. Intended to be used for my routine ride at the local trails and occasional racing . I am really impressed by the handling of the MT 29 especially going downhill , suffice to say it really won me over even I am just doing setting and testing on my first ride . Climbing ability come as what I had expected because the size of my old BMC frame had a larger down tube compare with this one . Still I found it to be equally competent with my old alum frame so I was really glad that I've made the switch to Lynskey Ti frame. Shaved off about 1.5kg off my old setup from BMC TE03 ( Yr 2013 ). New bike with MT29 frame with components from my old bike ( drive train , fork , wheels ) is about 12kg .

Slightly down side for the pedal power transfer but make no mistake , if I am going for stiffer down tube I would have gone for the Ridgeline 29 ..... But then , maybe the MT 2015 version with Thru' axle has already addressed for this aspect .

- very stable downhill abilities and smooth ride in the trails
- very good climbing abilities
- neat and simple cable routing
- weight just slightly lighter than aluminum frame but offer a lot more value that the branded bike out there.

[Jul 29, 2015]
Tim

Strength:

Component set, overall build, and handling

Seat

Very pleased with how well my MT 29er is performing. I did a fair amount of research (e.g. online reviews, LBS discussions, manufacturers websites) on Ti bikes and most were positive. The online reviews are matching my experience almost exactly. Two dings (very minor) are the seat and no lock-out switch on the handle bar. I swapped the seat from my prior ride and plan to add a lock-out switch. Again, this bike is awesomely fast, fun to ride, and should last for many years.

[Jun 11, 2015]
mah-tain

Strength:

SOLID...there is no butting other than the seat tube (fake butting?) And it is still lightweight. Many people want "butted" which is good in steel, but not necessarily needed in Ti...due to weight and strength. My first want is a frame that will withstand my 200 lbs over whatever, and next is any weight savings I could get followed by price and this one wins that category hands down.

I could care less about being "rust-free" as a well treat steely would be the same. I DO love how it feels very similar to steel (my past favorite material) with two exceptions that may be more due to the design???? This Ti frame sort of absorbs chatter and sudden big hits with a muffled type feeling as opposed to my steelers. It also doesn't seem to flex as much...though that might be due to my steel steeds being thin tubed and forgiving.

The guy that wrote it feels "rubbery" must weigh a lot more than me as I find it perfectly comfy and stiff where needed, this is after owning about 90 bikes of all materials and suspension(s).

If I had a lynsky seatpost I probably wouldn't have either too tight or too loose a seatpost which is due more to the crazy varying tolerances of other seatpost makers...no problems with my truvative aka though. The seatpost binder on mine snapped after a year...not too bad and replaced with a salsa liplock...solid.

Man o man have I owned bikes from carbon+alu, alu, steel, full sussers and the ONLY thing that comes close to comfort and quality is my old (kona explosif, brodie expresso, breezer).

I can truly say this is my last hardtail and my only mtn. bike at this time...it's that good. And the warranty is even better. I do x-country exclusively these days and even with multiple high speed wrecks and some serious jumps, this bike still amazes me.

If you are really concerned about the stickers, you probably don't enjoy the mtn. biking experience...get over it people, bikes get scratched if you actually ride, but Ti can be buffed...unlike any other frame!

all steel or full-suss for x-country, aluminum is for hardcore and groms, carbon is for $$bags and pro riders. If you want a comfy steed that will last...here ya go.

[Jun 10, 2015]
thrash_273

Strength:

climbs like a mountain goat-weight-frame-components-over all feel

NONE

Coming from a full suspension background, i have tried some fun rides, few races just for experience and fun, notice specially on climbing that i pay the price on fs. So i decided to invest on a Ti bike, It was a shot in the dark since its an online purchase, but i have seen my buddies riding lynskey. Im glad i made the decision, this thing is light weight and just simply awesome! i could've went with ridgeline with just a $600 price difference, but i did not. I want a light weight TITANIUM frame and MT29 fits the bill! I am currently training for my 1st metric century ride that will be held this OCTOBER 2015. can not wait to do it. With a lynskey lifetime warranty, its a wrap! bike came well pack and very beautiful! welding are top notch! im comparing my other bikes to it and i can see the difference! I ordered the matte version and boy im stoked! with the 3d black logos (it just pop out!) i also have the Ti seatpost! what else to say, well i can not wait to ride this week! agin.. and again.. and again! Ti magic indeed!

NONE

[Mar 17, 2015]
Seth Simmons

Strength:

Great hardtail for the trail and made in USA!
Great fit and finish made from "MOON METAL"
Very light oh did I say made in America!

Amazing bike for the hardtail fans out there great looking and a blast to ride!The MT29 optimizes perfect balance between speed and comfort for all day adventures through the trails. New for 2015 will be the 31.6 seat post diameter allowing for your favorite dropper post, and the all important 12x142 thru axle dropout system. The rear end stiffness should be dramatically enhanced when using a thru axle system.

[May 03, 2014]
Zohar Kantor

Strength:

I used this frame primary to race ultra endurance bikepakcing events. I choose this frame due to its more comfortable downtube that not only delivers the power to the crank but does that in a more comfortable manner. Well I am so happy with my choice, just completed the HLC.com race, 1400km ride in the most demanding condition and I am so pleased with the frame. The frame gave me the confidence to ride hard, fast, and agile on those long days on the saddle I sometimes had the impression it was a full-suspension bike! Riding tubeless with the right pressure the bike is so comfy.

None!

This frame is like a work of art. You see the passion and love for bikes at the moment you take it out of the box. It arrived sooner that expected, packed in a professional manner. All I needed is to change and headset and the seat post and all my other parts were just transferred. I did change the stem to a longer one to get the feel I was looking for and the frame was dialed-in in a day for the race.

I mostly recommend this frame to any XC rider and ultra marathon endurance rider. This frame is what you want for those epic riders out in the wilderness!!

Not to forget the excellent customer service from Lynskey...I never waiting more that 5 minutes for a reply!! You get the feel you are part of a community...the Lynskey family.

Love it, ride on!

[May 02, 2014]
Kelvin Wan

Strength:

Nice and clean welding. By looking at the frame itself is a piece of art.
I don't feel much flex while riding, maybe I am light weight. It is comfortable to ride, unlike Aluminum frame. Enjoy every moment with the bike. Lifetime warranty is another plus factor to own the frame. Value for money compare to other brand of Ti frame.

I thought it would be nice if Lynskey to permanent etch its brand on the bike instead of stickers, as default. Stickers tend to deface after a few rough rided.

Long history of American Ti frame maker with lifetime warranty, is hard to resist.

[Mar 16, 2014]
JoeT

Strength:

clean cable routing
universal head tube
gorgeous welds
Ti
MADE IN AMERICA!!!!

tubes not filled with helium? :)
ISO brake tabs instead of post mount (minor deal)

Great geometry and outstanding value. Why not pay just a little more and get something made in America!