Kona Honzo 29er Hardtail

Kona Honzo 29er Hardtail

New for 2012 we introduce the Honzo, a balls-out, aggressive all-mountain 29er Cromoly hardtail. Featuring a beyond-vogue slack 68-degree headtube angle, low bottom bracket and short chainstays, the Honzo is all about getting radical on technical singletrack near you. Featuring a zero-stack internal headset with tapered steertube, Kona continues to lead the way when it comes to the evolution of steel. A single front chainring with chain guide, 9-speed 36-tooth cassette, 31.6 seatpost with dropper post cable routing, and ISCG 05 tabs, the Honzo goes up, down, and all the way around.

• RockShox Revelation RL Dual Air 29er
  • Avid Elixir 1 brakes
  • Shimano 9-speed 11-36 rear cassette
  • Maxxis Ardent tires

• USER REVIEWS

[Aug 19, 2016]
    Jay

Strength:

Beefy frame
    Very stable geometry
    Inexpensive
    Fun

A bit rough riding due beefy build
    Climbing geometry isn't perfect due to slackness

A fun bike but tilted towards descending. I find it rough in the rocks. You never feel like you're going to endo due to long front center geometry. It is fun to ride. Very simple!

Various bikes

[Jun 02, 2015]
    Clayton Bigsby
    All Mountain Rider

Strength:

I was in the market for something new since I had given my Kong Dawg Supreme to my son. I was looking for something fun, reasonably priced, hardtail, 29'er and cool. I dont even remember how I came across the Honzo, but after reading some of the reviews I wanted this bike, I called a local shop and he just happened to have a large in stock. I went a test rode it in a total downpour but I didn't care I was having to much fun. I liked the fact that the head tube angle was the same as my Dawg (made it feel playful), chromoly frame, the short chainstay gives it a quick/snappy feel and loved my first experience of owning a 29'er. I noticed that what all the other reviews said about just pointing it anywhere was doable with no hesitation. It climbed great and with the 29" wheels found it a joy to ride on the road for cardio training. The first thing I noticed was the wide bars, they really step up the stability factor, I liked the width so much I put them on my son's Dawg and picked up another set for me. The tire width 2.40 front and 2.25 rear seemed to work great.

The only thing I noticed was the top tube height is a little tall (2015 model is quite a bit lower) and the grips were rock hard.

I can honestly say I'm glad I bought the Honzo and try my best to talk my friends looking for a new bike to consider it. I have upgraded the cranks, pedals, bars and grips (cranks and bars mostly for bling), I think in the future I may upgrade the fork (140mm) to suck up the bumps even better on the D/H sections.

If you buy one just know that it will gather a crowd, which I dont mind.

[Mar 29, 2015]
    brickwallmusic

Strength:

Climbs like a mountain goat
    Descends like a dream

None!

Winch it up and point it down!! I had a decently component spec'd bike that I got from an online company, thought it was a sweet deal so I got it. The components were awesome, but the frame, frame setup and geometry were... ugh... Left some to be desired... That, and it had a serious design flaw with the front derailleur cable routing... which went to the chain stay... on a full suspension xc bike.. (with an AM weight, mind you) What ever, I'm not bitter. Anyway, got the Honzo frame and swapped over everything and wow! This thing climbs way better, like a dream! I thought there would be a little bit of front tire lift and wobbliness over some of the technical climbs I've done, but nope! Climbs better than the old frame I had with significantly long chain stays! And then point it down and hold on! Crap! I heard you have to push it hard to really get a sense of how it descends, and I didn't really understand that until I rode it down some long descents! This thing really like to go fast and hard over stuff and around corners! It's crazy! I love it! I check everything on starve (I know I'm a bike looser) but with this first run on it I beat pretty much all of my climbing times and descending times on all the trails I rode! With a hard tail! I know when you buy the whole bike it comes with just a 120mm fork, I put my 140mm Talas on it and I couldn't imagine having any less travel, even on the long climbs!

[Dec 10, 2014]
    maximo
    All Mountain Rider

Strength:

The bike is just awesome! Confidence inspiring geometry.

A little pricey for component spec in my opinion.

Coming from more XC type hardtails to this took some getting used to, but after the learning curve this bike is the best hardtail I've ridden... even if I sacrifice a little time on the climbs.

Surly Karate Monkey, Surly 1x1, Independent Fabrication SS Steel Deluxe

[Jun 16, 2014]
    TeeO

Strength:

Great geometry, springy steel, single speed ready and sexy old school looks
    Fun on the trail without the high purchase and maintenance costs of a full suspension
    Good conversation starter

No high spec bike available (where's the XT/X9 model Kona?)
    A bit heavy, but expected for this price point and category
    Not for racers, tech geeks or weight weenies (or perhaps the bike you ride while your light, fragile and complex bike needs work)
    Avid Elixir 5 brakes lack- in all regards

The Honzo is a fun trail bike that will have you smiling from ear to ear and your mates asking the CFO to release the credit card. It's not the fastest way to get to the top of the hill but that's not what you really want, is it. I run mine SS and manage to ride all but the most extreme climbs without too much pain - for an SS. A dropper post is an obvious upgrade for the Honzo and really helps unleash its aggressive character with only a small 200gram weight penalty - easily mitigated by skipping a few pieces of cake or going to the toilet before a ride. Overall the Honzo's a fun bike that will descend as fast as most 140-150mm bikes but not need to have the hundreds of dollars of your hard earned cash spent on regular shock and bearing services.

Life's too short, just buy the damn bike!!!

Specialized Pitch, Tuner Flux, Scott Scale,

[Jun 15, 2014]
    bitflogger

Strength:

Most societies categorize the levels of fun produced by this bike as as illegal or immoral. Someone thought to combine monster truck and dirt jumper in the same affordable package.

Weight weenies go home. The design that is optimal for bike control, flight, and extreme railing turns means you need good technique for some climbing. 1x may be a limitation for some.

Double 5 Chili ratings because you get the geometry and characteristics that are otherwise a boutique brand or or custom builder bike, and because this thing is just SO fun to ride.

I always understood the big wheel concept, never had sex with a dead person, but riding 29r bikes made me think I knew what that would be like. Not so here. I'll never think of big wheels the same again. This thing lets you hit the trail with the sort of fun you have with a dirt jumper but it lets cover the miles.

Are you a skier? Then understand this bike to be like a pair of skis that carves the high g force turns and feels great when there's air between you and earth.

Know how to pump? This thing will send you into the unsuspecting rider in front of you.

Ride to trail head? It might take less because of the big wheels or longer because you'll be getting air or playing with any feature, curb or driveway ramp you see.

Big thanks to the Kona product managers for not being supply chain cheapskates (steel!), and product managers evidently interested in fun instead of grunting out a race.

Other 29 hard tail bikes from well known makers.

[May 08, 2014]
    Kona Honzo Custom Build

Strength:

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Probably the best way to describe it. I love this bike. Been biking about 5 years now, and ridden a Trek Fuel EX 8 FS bike the last 2 years. Great bike, but I love the Honzo. Mine is custom built so its a tad different. Has the RS Rev fork, Stans Arch EX rims, XT brakes, Zee shifter and derailleur... etc etc.

The bike rocks. The frame is awesome and steel is really sweet. Soaks up a lot of the chatter, and the bike just crushes. Thought it would be heavy, thought I'd miss FS... I was wrong. My bike weighs in at 28 lbs. Pretty respectable for a steel trail bike. I'm really loving this thing so far.

Frame only has room for a 1x9 or 1x10 setup, so missing out on the granny ring can hurt climbing a bit. Really consistently rocky trails can be annoying, but who wants that anyway. gimme something that flows.

Great bike, loving it. Was skeptical about going from a full suspension back to a hardtail, but I am really really enjoying this ride.

[Dec 15, 2013]
    JohnJohn

Strength:

Best all around and fun bike

The stock transmission, heavy but YOU choose to ride a cromo

I was looking for my first 29er and I did not want a pure XC machine... Did not want a DS all mountain... And this bike is both very weel! Most of the stock parts of my 2013 is really good (also Kona OEM pieces) but X7 for a 1800$ hardtail is a bit cheesy. A scellant rust traitment can be necessary for mud an nordic conditions. Rust drops slippings down the evacuates holes of the chainstay and at the reinforce piece of the seatube on the toptube.
    INDISPENSABLE UPGRADE: dropper seatpost! A Reverd is my nice servant... Last point... Since I ride the Honzo (depending how I feel) for the summer long... I'm stronger on my DS XC bike!

None... First 29er, first AM... Long time no see cromo

[Mar 31, 2013]
    bigfoot_mt

Strength:

Confidence boost on both downs and technical ups. It just loves to eat up terrain. Handles well all around. Balance on steep climbs is great front tire doesn't wander.

A bit heavy, but I built it up that way. No cable guides for a Hammerschmidt

I have it set up with a Hammerschmidt which I love. I like having the low range for long technical climbs. I can't believe how much more confidence I have on this bike. Best explanation I have is that I rarely use my dropper post because I am comfortable on descents even with the seat fully raised.
    I went from an On One Inbred which I enjoyed, but was ready for a bike that could help me get a bit more aggressive. The Honzo fits that perfectly.

On One Inbred

[Feb 17, 2013]
    Pedro Man
    All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Wow, so much bike for your money! Get a leg over, shut up and shred!
    Forget the rest... 2013 model has 10 speed, e13 chain guide, 20mm fork and 12mm rear maxles... Slack head angle, shrt stem, and a 29" wheel right under your backside making for a nimble, smooth, and confidence inspiring ride.... Wow, it's just fun fun fun right out the box

YOU! You are the weakness! Every bike is a compromise, in this case it is strength and price versus weight and bling. The person who is having the most fun riding is the one that's the winner, not the guy talking up the rising rate and high speed compression adjustability etc... Kona Honzo is never gonna be perfect but is 100% fun and reliable out of the box... Weakness? What?! Grips are hard on bare hands, so wear gloves, change the grips, or harden up...

Rail berms, hammer over ruts, pedal up a hill and smash back down again and again... That's why you buy a Kona. Sorted geometry (really sorted) and built to last. Save up kids and get this bike, it is trailtastic shredarama goodness. Too heavy? get stronger! Simple and fun.... Exactly the reason you head into the forest in the first place, switch off and ride hard.
    Hardtail Hardcore