Jones Steel Spaceframe 29er Hardtail

Steel Spaceframe

Steel frames have the same geometry, clearances, features, gearing options, handling and balance points as the titanium frames but at a lower cost, heavier and a different feel. Since steel is stiffer than titanium smaller tubes are used. The ride is similar to the ti frame (it has the Jones geometry after all) but it is different. It does feel vertically stiffer compared to the titanium Spaceframe but it's a very good, solid feel. It's steel and steel is good. The steel Spaceframe and Truss fork produces a ride that is stiffer than the titanium version but smoother than the Diamond steel model. The tubes used can be smaller than the Ti versions as steel is stiffer and this then allows the flex to be carefully managed to deliver efficiency and comfort. Construction: The frame is TIG welded 4130 chromoly with a butted down tube. The cable guides and bottle bosses are brazed on. The fork is all 4130. The frame and fork are ED black and then powdercoated for a durable finish.

gravedoja   Cross Country Rider [May 11, 2014]
Strength:

climbs very well, super stiff and responsive, great handling downhill.

towards the end of a long ride the stiffness can start to feel a bit tiring on your body. Fat tyres are a must. Your body will adapt though.

I love this thing, steep climbs? Yep.
Fast techy downhill? If you have good skills, yep.
Twisty single track? Oh yes.
Road rides? With fat slicks on yes, even road rides.
Touring, commuting, this is the most versatile bike i have ever owned.
I have been riding since 91 and have ridden lots of bikes of all types, most mountain bikes tend to be good at a particular thing, e.g. SC Bullit, good downhill, not so good uphill, etc. The Jones just seems to work well on every trail you take it on. Now don't get me wrong, if you hate hard tails or rigid bikes i doubt you will feel the same way as me about this, if however, if you love to ride without springs from time to time, i think you will really love this thing. Its worth getting a test ride if you are curious.

Similar Products Used: Rigid, hardtail and full sus MTBs of various types over the years, nothing has felt quite like the Jones though.
KeviChe   Cross Country Rider [Feb 28, 2012]
Strength:

Super Agile, terrific climber, even better decender

Proprietary front hub

I met Jeff Jones at Interbike a couple years back when he first showed his Steel Spaceframe as an early production. What really sold me was talking to him of the type of riding this bike was meant for. Aggressive trail riding, and clean sheet approach to designing an off road bike. Later on talking to him on the phone, he helped walk me through how to set it up and why. I am so glad I did, this fresh approach on how your postioned on the bike is amazing. More upright, hands and arms unloaded free to steer and control the bike. Upright yes, but I actually climb Better on this bike than my XC hardtail. Gone are the days of acute lower back pain at the end of a ride. My friends could barely keep up with me on my initial off road ride. Just brings me back to what was fun about riding my first rigid steel MTB when I was a kid. The Geometry is amazing, does everything better than any type of bike Ive had in the past, i always struggled to dial in a comfortable position on a bike. The frame does offer more compliance than a traditional frame. For the record, so far reading this you probably have surmised i am some 50+ old man who is just taking in the scenery and bird watching. I am in my early 30's, my friends describe my riding style as "reckless abandon" when some one says lets slow the pace up for those guys, it doesnt compute to my body. Chaos is where I live, and this new bike has just become the perfect apocalyptic horse to accompany me.

Similar Products Used: Commencal Meta 5, Voodoo Wanga, Iron Horse MK III, Dekerf Team SL
morphosity   Weekend Warrior [Nov 14, 2011]
Strength:

Built up the bike from the frame. Imported from Jones, built up how I wanted ie everything was as I specced. Bike gives an amazing ride, you feel, low and safe, because of the geometry you feel in no danger of endoing, it is my preferred bike for challenging singletrack.

Because of distance from Jeff had to take a punt on liking the bike ie buy unseen and unridden. Not in the slightest disappointed.

I really enjoy this bike it never fails to put a smile on my face, I find I am riding it in preference to my Stumpjumper unless I am planning a long, long ride. It climbs well and has that incredible responsive hardtail feeling I thought was hype. It just makes me want to ride my bike!

Similar Products Used: 2010 Stumpjumper 29 FSR, 2007 Stumpjumper Pro, various earlier bikes.