Jamis Exile 29 Single Speed 29er Hardtail

Exile 29 Single Speed

• Frame: Reynolds 631 seamless, air-hardened chromoly
  • Fork: Rigid Chromoly, suspension fork length
  • Headset: Aheadset, TH-857, 1 1/8"
  • Chain: Shimano HG73
  • Bottom Bracket: TruVativ Giga-X external bearing
  • Pedals: Crank Brothers Eggbeater MXR, clipless
  • Grips: WTB MotoTec clamp-on, DNA Compound
  • Saddle: WTB Rocket V Comp with SL top and steel rails
  • Seatpost: Easton EA30 micro-adjust

jcmtbfreak   Cross Country Rider [Mar 22, 2009]
Strength:

Stable, comfortable (for a rigid), smooth pedaler, stiff frame, handles well, flys well, Nevegal tires.

Avid Juicy threes...so I've been told. No suspension up front...though not so bad once you get used to it and once I dropped a few psi out of the front tire, rode much better.

My bike was in need of a suspension rebuild, so a friend let me borrow his Exile SS for a ride. LOVED IT!! My friend swapped out the stem for something shorter to fit him him better. He's inbetween sizes and opted for the larger bike, thus the shorter stem. It worked well for me, though I personally would have something longer, but still not as long as the 120 its spec'd with. He also swapped out the brakes. Said he could never get Juicy threes to stop dragging. That says a lot to me. He's a bike shop owner and has the mentality "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Meaning that he won't spend money on something else if what he has works well. If he swapped the brakes...they must have sucked, though he did say they had good power. Just wouldn't stop dragging no matter how much he tinkered and adjusted them.

As for the ride...good overall. I actually enjoyed the experience. We rode at Wilson Lake in north central KS. It's a hilly, rocky, loose, gravelly sort of trail. Definitely not a place most people ride SS. I was walking the bigger climbs. Let out 5 psi or so out of the front tire a couple miles in. Things started feeling better after that. Launching off of little drops and rises in trail was AMAZING! It flies through the air stable, and landed softer than my suspension equipped 26er! I'm a big guy (235lbs) and I couldn't detect any noticable frame flex when I would hammer on it in or out of the saddle. The Nevegal tires are all round awesome.

If I had the money and could find one of these in a shop still...I'd buy one, use the money I saved to swap out brakes and stem, and go hammer it.

Similar Products Used: Trek 930 26er (my personal bike), Orbea Alma 29 world cup (demo'd in a race)
chrisgardner73   Cross Country Rider [Mar 07, 2009]
Strength:

Great Bike! I really enjoy the simplicity.

None so far, but I have only had a chance to get it out a couple of times. If I had to name a weakness...it's probably me.

So far I have only gotten a couple of rides in on the bike, but I have really enjoyed it so far. I got a great deal on the bike from a friends bike shop...so that makes it all the sweeter. It feels very solid and well-built. Like I said before, I can't really find any weaknesses thus far.

I did heed the advice of other reviewers and replaced the cog and seat clamp. I also replaced the the Juicy brakes with BB7's just because I prefer the feel of mechanical brakes.

My next mod is to add a Chris King Headset this Spring, and then possibly some new cranks in the Summer.

I would totally recommend this bike if you have the chance to get a hold of one!

Similar Products Used: None.
MarcMtb32   Cross Country Rider [Dec 14, 2008]
Strength:

light weight, inexpensive, plush (relatively speaking), sexy matte finish

chain tension set screws are nearly useless

I bought the frame on ebay and built the bike the way I wanted. I love it! It's been my only bike since May and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. Between the wheelset, carbon fork, and frame, this bike rides like a dream. It climbs well, it's light, and looks great. My only complaint is the chain tensioner set screws. I spend a lot of time retightening them. I think I'll add a Surly Tugnut, and call it a day. I've done 3 endurance solo races on this bike, and beat the piss out of it on a regular basis. That being said, it takes everything I throw at it with a smile.

Similar Products Used: Redline Monocog 29er
matt6300   Cross Country Rider [Dec 13, 2008]
Strength:

Geometry, frame, wheel set, bottom bracket, fork

Ahead set, Hayes Sole brakes, grips, bars, setpost clamp

This bike has been a wonderful introduction to SS 29ers for me. It handles great for me, 6'4" 230#s. This bike has been beat up a bunch and held up wonderfully. I would have to say the stock bike needs upgrades if you want to ride rocky single track. The headset, grips, and seatpost clamp, as mentioned in previous posts, need replacing 1st. Once I got a good headset, carbon bars, and a solid stem where the next on my list of upgrades. Finally, I would like to replace the breaks and possibly a Reba on the front end. It would be hard for me to put a susp. fork on because I really like the feel, response and simplicity of the rigid fork. All in all a great bike if you want a steel SS.

Similar Products Used: Hayes Hoss 26"er
kmaxtrax   Cross Country Rider [Oct 03, 2008]
Strength:

Excellent frame and a solid price point for a first time SS rigid 29'er. Majority of the stock parts are just fine for me as a sport level recreational racer (if that makes sense).

Shimano Hyper-Glide Chain (maybe due to hyper-glide cog), seat post clamp, TruVativ Giga-X bad?

Love the bike but I've had a load of problems with it in the short time I've had it.
1. On my inaugural ride the shimano chain after coming off a number of times busted and left me walking 8 miles back to the car. After reading some other reviews I realize this might be a combo crappy chain and hyper-glide cog. Still, I'd recommend changing them both out. I don't like shimano chains for mountain bikes.
2. Busted spoke in a 12 hour race a couple weeks after buying the bike. Not really faulting the wheels here just laying out the issues I've had in a very short period of time.
3. As mentioned by everyone else, seat clamp is crap, no matter how much you tighten it.
4. Brake line for rear brake blew out on a night lap at the 24hrs of Big Bear 1/4 way into my lap.
5. TruVativ Giga-X bottom bracket has apparently gone bad... Now, big bear was an exceptionally wet and muddy race but I shouldn't need to worry about replacing my BB after a few months of riding...

I love the rigid SS experience and the 29 inch wheels are a blast! But, I just can't believe the number of issues I've had with this bike already. My last mt bike I had for 10 years and never had anything other then an occasional flat. I would recommend the bike but I would also recommend replacing some key parts as well. Also, I LOVE the looks of this bike; so sleek and smooth and simple looking.

mberesn1   Racer [Jul 22, 2008]
Strength:

everything, smooth steel ride, steel is REAL!

absolutely love this bike!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT I need to sell it.
Will throw in all the oem parts as well the easton 30 stem and seatpost as well as the rigid fork.
I have a reba 100 air/ with pop lock on the bike now.
need to sell asking $900 obo.
Great bike to get into 29ers and singlespeeding!

mberesn@gmail.com

velvetbemydoggy   Cross Country Rider [Jun 17, 2008]
Strength:

frame, wheels, wider bars, reinforced headtube, juicy brakes, wtb saddle

rear cog, headset, grips

This bike has an amazing feel. I believe that Jamis has made an honest attempt to address all of the issues that the 2007 model had (hayes brakes, broken frames, no name hubs that sucked, shorter bars) so if you are thinking about buying an 07 for a little cheaper....please dont.
I also hope you understand that with a $1000 out of the box bike, there will be a few necessary upgrades to make this machine just right.

Similar Products Used: raleigh xxix
xjbebop   Cross Country Rider [Jun 05, 2008]
Strength:

Very versitile out of the box. Jamis quality for the $$

Replace the stock cog ASAP!

2008 Jamis Exile 29

Disclaimer: After years of riding 26” FS bikes, this is my first:
29er
Single Speed (SS)
Full rigid bike (since about 1992…)

I’ve only got about 50 mi. on it so far, so these are my first impressions.

Comfortable fit. I tested a GF 29er a few years ago and I remember how it felt ‘strange’, kind of big and awkward.
The Jamis felt like a normal bike as soon as I jumped on. It wasn’t tall or tippy feeling. I have to remind myself that it has big wheels. I soon discovered that in fact, it feels extremely balanced and stable, even at very low speed! The 29” wheels are everything I’d read about. I wouldn’t say they are better or worse than 26”, just different. (Although they do in fact roll over things that would ‘catch’ a 26” wheel…)
I haven’t noticed anything odd about the handling. It seems very neutral. The rigid fork is going to be the hardest thing for me to get used to. It feels great until the trail gets rough, or worse, you catch an unexpected hit…ouch! But it is light, precise and responsive compared to a squish fork. Just a matter of adapting.
I won’t go into the specs or versatility of this bike because all that info is available on the Jamis website. However, mine came with different tires (Nevegal 2.2’s) and different pedals (candies) than spec’ed. Nice upgrades, actually.
I will also say that I was very impressed with how well the entire package is color-coordinated. Everything on it is silver-on-black. It doesn’t hurt that your new bike just looks good…

The SS aspect is interesting and doable. It’s pretty easy to change gearing to meet your needs.
I tried the 1X9 set up already and it’s a quick and easy switch. Did I mention just how versatile the Exile is out of the box?

Cons:
The stock cog is a standard hyperglide 9-speed type cog, and the chain jumped off way too easy. This is the only really bad thing about the bike, and I don’t understand why they spec’ed it. Replace the cog w/ a proper SS cog asap.
The seat post slips w/ the stock QR. A new clamp fixed that.
I could do without the ‘Jamis’ name on every-single-tube. However, the dark silver on black is a great color combo.

So only a couple of minor gripes.
There are a –lot- of 29er’s to choose from these days! I did a lot of research before choosing this bike and feel very happy with my decision!

Similar Products Used: *see below
Jay   Cross Country Rider [Jul 12, 2007]
Strength:

Light, Fun, Simple, Full Rigid

Brakes are mediocre, Headset needs to be replaced, Seatpost clamp is horrible

Great bike! My first single speed and 29'er in one. I think for the price, it should have better brakes. I'm still getting used to the 29" wheels since they do not cut as sharp as 26" wheels. I have already put over a thousand miles on it without any major maintenance issues. I like the solid steel frame, but hate the vibration from the bike so I am looking into replacing the fork, seatpost, and handlebars with carbon (still keeping it rigid). By far, my favorite bike from my small collection. Keep a close eye on its drive train since it seems to rust easier than most other bikes'. The headset feels loose. The clamp for the seatpost needs a total redesign. It needs to be tightened so much in the parking lot to keep it from moving, that when you go to raise it again on the trails(always slips), you end-up spending precious ride time trying to re-open it and re-close it. Overall, I love this bike. It would be a 5 Flamin' Chili bike if it had better brakes, headset and seatpost clamp and would also be a better value for $1000. If you are looking to turn heads on a demonic looking matte black full rigid single speed 29'er, then this bike is for you. If you are more concerned with comfort, agility, and price; then this bike is not for you. I am happy with my purchase but have only had it for about 4 months and already want to change out half the components (which, for a single speed, is almost everything except the frame) which should not be the case for any bike.