Ibex Bicycles Section 29er Hardtail

• Frame: Triple-Butted 6069 (X9) Aluminum
  • Fork: Rock Shox Tora 318 Air* 80mm Travel
  • Shifters: SRAM X7 Trigger
  • Crankset: FSA Moto MegaExo (44/32/22T)
  • Tires: WTB ExiWolf 29" x 2.30
  • Headset: Cane Creek S-3
  • Cockpit Set: TruVativ XR
  • Saddle: WTB Laser V Team

rivertranced   Weekend Warrior [Apr 16, 2009]
Strength:

Handles well on the trail (you can just roll over small stumps and logs while maneuvering around hairpins is as easy as a 26er!) and on the road heading to work (fewer revolutions). Doesn't give you the feeling you are sitting up much higher like on other 29ers, but rather "in" the bike like on some of the high end 29ers I have ridden. Ibex staff responded to my questions right away when I was purchasing the product, so I feel good that if something goes wrong they'll take care of me.

A bit heavier than the most expensive 29ers, and I'd love to see an upgrade option to at least X-9s, but for the price you can't go wrong. I'd also like different paint options.

I've been on the bike for 500 miles now (I'm impressed that Marek has ridden 2,000 miles in a year - I ride this thing to work everyday...nice work!) and am loving it as much as the day I got it. I was a bit worried about X-7 componentry having been on XTs before, but they have held up well over time. I had considered dozens of bikes ranging from Motobecane or Windsor 29ers from BikesDirect to higher end bikes from my LBS that would have cost me two grand or more. Being a weekend warrior, this bike is perfect for my needs and seems to perform as well as any I have ridden. Plus, I feel good that if something goes wrong with the frame Ibex will back me up - I wouldn't have the same confidence in other direct bike dealers.

Similar Products Used: Novara Ponderosa Hardtail 26er; rode a Titus Racer X 29er for a weekend (hooked me on 29ers!)
marekpetrik   Cross Country Rider [Mar 19, 2009]
Strength:

29in Wheels, great handling, overall decent components, price.

Tora fork is not very plush, the front wheel lifts up on *very* steep climbs

I was not sure about buying a 29er, but I have no regrets. I don't think I will ever go back to 26in.

The bike handles great. After 2000 miles in mud, snow, and salt, no components have failed (except a broken chain). The bike climbs and descent fast, and it is also decent on pavement. The tires handle great on any terrain, and also roll well.

Overall, this is an amazing bike for the price, and would be even for twice as much.

Similar Products Used: A few 26in bikes
53880   Weekend Warrior [Dec 30, 2008]
Strength:

Price, build quality, components, looks

This is my introduction to mountain biking. At 6' I was recommended by friends who have many years of riding bmx + mountain that I should try out a 29er. Upon LOTS of research I settled on Ibex and specifically their red 2008 18" Section 29. WOW what a bike! It has sustained lots of mid-range slams as I am a rookie riding with much more experienced riders. I also use it as a 4 mile commuter to work along an easy path (another reason I got the 29" wheels + lockout). It feels light but very durable. Overall very impressed and looking forward to using this for many years to come.

Similar Products Used: None
mtb_grl   Weekend Warrior [Oct 28, 2008]
Strength:

Components are very well spec'd. The frame is stiff and responsive. The ride quality is wonderful, and the frame geometry was very comfortable.

None for this product. There is always the wishful thinking for upgrades, but the bottom line is the bike's setup works... and does it well.

This is hands down the most fun bike I've ridden in years. It feels light for a 29er - even more incredible in this price range. The handling takes a few minutes to get used to, but once you adjust the bike is nimble and very responsive. The frame felt stiff and solid as a rock - I had an easier time keeping my balance over rough spots, fast descents and rock gardens. Drivetrain worked with no glitches. The lockout on the Tora is great for steep climbs - it really does climb like a billy goat.I took this bike out on a trail where I usually ride my dualie 5" travel bike, and not only was I able to ride everything I did on the dualie and more but I had more fun doing it. Incredible bike for the value - if you're looking to try out 29ers or are sold on one and want a quality ride that won't break your budget, I really recommend the Ibex.

Similar Products Used: Haro Mary XC 29er, Trek 8000 hardtail, Gary Fisher Paragon 29er
retrobeast   Weekend Warrior [Sep 14, 2008]
Strength:

fast, components work well, climbs like a cat, very balanced.

weight only when carrying. Do not notice on the ride.

If you want to break into the 29er world then IBEX Section 29er is an excellent choice. Great components for price.
You will get on and feel at home on day one.
Frame is sleek with very clean weld points.

I am 6ft with a 32in inseam and the 18 is perfect.

Similar Products Used: KHS Alite hard tail. GF Cake 3 DLX full suspension.
VTSasquatch   Weekend Warrior [Aug 11, 2008]
Strength:

Decent components. I especially like the Reba fork.

Styling. Not that I would chose a bike on looks but it only came in yellow when I purchased it. Definately could use a couple color options.

I really like this bike. It is a huge improvement in every respect to my old Marlin. I haven't had any problems and the ride is great. Only down side is that you have to assemble the bike but it is pretty easy and worth it for the savings you get.

Similar Products Used: My last bike was a 1997 Gary Fisher Marlin (rigid in those days). Looked at Gary Looked at Fisher 29ers but got same or better components for less money.
Terry   Cross Country Rider [Feb 13, 2008]
Strength:

2007 Model w/Reba SL Dual Air w/poplock. Good component group. Great value for the money. Compared favorably against all other hardtail 29ers within $400 higher retail, such as Fisher X-Cal, Felt, Jamis, Haro.

None to speak of, especially considering price.

Best bang for the buck of any 29er hardtail available in 2007. This bike has been a solid performer. No squeaks, breaks, or quirks. The BB7 discs are great. I'm 6-1", 250, and I'm on the 20" frame. I love this bike.

Similar Products Used: Fisher X-Cal, Felt Nine
Bob   Cross Country Rider [Feb 07, 2008]
Strength:

Solid & dependable through all kinds of terrain
Great mix of components at a great price - Good Value!

Chain, powdercoat is a bit weak

I couldn't be happier with this bike. It has essentially the same component level as the GF X-Caliber, for ~$300 less! I have ridden it through some nasty stuff (sometimes accidentally) and it has held up under my ~260 lbs. like a champ. My bike is no longer offering an excuse for holding back.