Haro Mary SS 29er Hardtail

• WTB Laser Disc Trail rims laced to Pivit hubs
  • Avid Mechanical Disc Brakes

• User Reviews (49)

Yukon29&single   All Mountain Rider [Jun 19, 2012]
    Strength:

Takes a beating and keeps going. Lightweight. Strong climbing.

Stock tires Are heavy. Wheels aren't strong either.

Awesome ride. It's my first ss and I don't see me getting rid of it. I love this bike. Climbs like a machine. It's FAST.

Natedogz   Cross Country Rider [Feb 27, 2012]
    Strength:

Best riding 29er geometry I've ridden, feels just like a giant BMX bike, very sure-footed, nimble but not twitchy. Loved this bike in the 2 years that I owned it and wish I hadn't sold it.

Some lateral frame flex, I occasionally get rear tire rub as evidenced by the missing paint inside my chainstays. I do weigh 200 lbs geared up and ride aggressively, never heard or felt it rub, but evidence is there. Kenda Nevegals, heavy and very slow rolling tires that are only good in wet sloppy conditions imo and even then could be better. Avid BB5 brakes fit for a townie maybe, on a MTB it's like trying to stop your car by dragging your feet.

Great bike for the money and so much fun!

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher Rig, Haro Ally.
    david robinson   Weekend Warrior [Oct 11, 2011]
    Strength:

Great value. Build quality is superb.Rides wonderful and munches the miles.requires very little maintainance.
    £350 for frame and fork.

Slightly heavy but hey, so am I !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Used a niner EBB cup unit to prevent bottom bracket shell from disforming. The pinch bolts are a pain on the stock frame. They can cause the bb shell to develop a lobe at the point of pressure.

A really nice bike frame and fork ideal for taller heavier riders.
    It converts to hub gears nicely and vertical dropouts are ideal for towing a BOB YAK trailer full of expedition gear. Buy the EBB from niner to preserve the bottom bracket shell, cost me about 30 english pounds.
    This bike has its critics but I love her.
    Great value too.
    I got seduced by lighter frames but came running back to Mary after a dissapointment.I am forever faithful and renewed my vow of loyalty.

Similar Products Used: On one Scandal ..... Also good but cant beat the steel Mary.
    Brad Carrington   Cross Country Rider [Dec 04, 2010]
    Strength:

The 2010 frame with a curved top bar is tight and tough. Very little flex or slop. Decent component setup straight off the rack, although I did make a couple modifications. And, I like the new black paint with pink and white decals.

No sure I like the Kenda Negeval on the front. Seems like it wants to washout on turns that are wet or loose. Besides they weigh too much. Also, want to replace stock front fork with a Niner Carbon. It's taking time and patience to get comfortable with the ON ONE Mary handlebar.

Definitely recommend this to anyone who wants to start riding a ridged single speed.

Similar Products Used: My other MTB is a Ventana El Saltimontes.
    crazyazmtnbiker   Cross Country Rider [Oct 20, 2010]
    Strength:

Very nice 4130 frame set. Gusseted top tube and downtube. Built with cheaper parts but works well together. Light bike with great ride. Tracks great.

On one bars are fine if you were using this as a bar bike. Changed out for FunnMTB riser bars. Short head tube size makes it flex with a larger rider.

Nice single speed in 29er configuration. Keeps up with the other ride available. Nice parts and a great price....
    Would recommend to any other person looking for a single rigid 29er! Very Light1

Similar Products Used: Surly, Fisher, Cannondale.....
    Sheppdog   Cross Country Rider [Jul 04, 2010]
    Strength:

Frame geometry and specifications for an entry level SS Mountain bike

Component group is entry level and requires some immediate attention.

This is an excellent entry level SS mountain bike that can be updgraded as parts break. The only parts I would replace immediately would be the Mary bar and the eccentric bottom bracket. Buy a handlebar that suits you but make sure you but a Niner bottom bracket - they are SOLID! You will likely have to clean out the bottom bracket housing as they are painted inside (flaw in manufacturing).

Also - The forks that came with my Mary were not manufactured straight and I destroyed the factory hub.

I am 6'3" and this bike fits really well and it has taken some serious abuse. It's simple, it works and I've raced on it with no problems.

I would buy one again, despite the manufacturing short comings. I tried other SS mountain bikes but the geometry wasn't there.

Similar Products Used: Converted 26" mountain bikes to SS.
    mataleo505   Cross Country Rider [May 20, 2010]
    Strength:

Light weight, Steel frame & fork, great handling, value

None so far

This bike rocks! Even with the rigid fork it flies over rocky terrain. Light enough to rip up inclines & the 29 inch wheels allow you to haul it on the down hills. This bike handles really well is easy to catch air on & is just plain fun. Haven't touched my geared Kona xc bike since this purchase. I would definitely recommend the Haro Mary SS for anyone looking for a simple, fun, worry free bike (so far).

Similar Products Used: None, this is my first 29er single speed
    schnee   Weekend Warrior [Mar 14, 2010]
    Strength:

Fantastic geometry, burly, great value

Flimsy seatpost / stem / bars, weak wheels

I'm 6'-3", and this bike fits perfectly - long enough to feel balanced and sure-footed going up and down steep stuff, small enough to whip around and turn on a dime. I don't ride rigid on the really harsh stuff (I save that for my FS rig) but this handles everything I want it to.

They really nailed the geometry. It was immediately comfortable, I dialed in the fit in a few short rides, and that was that.

I'm a 270+ clydesdale, so the Pivit seatpost, Ritchey stem and Mary bars were super noodly. I always have to swap those out anyway, so not too big of a knock.

OEM wheels were decent, had a bit of windup and flex, but perfectly fine for around-town, smooth singletrack or light XC. I wanted more bomb-proof, so I swapped them for handbuilt 36-spoke Surly/Gordos.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Stumpjumper, Gunnar Crosshairs
    Rob 2   Cross Country Rider [Mar 11, 2010]
    Strength:

handling

HARO TECH SUPPORT is CLUELESS

This is note to warn fellow cyclists about haro's tech support ... namely "Jill H". I lost my spec's manual -- 2 weeks of emails & she 'guessed' the wrong Bottom Bracket width FOUR times. If I'd have listened to her (instead of buying a micrometer 'cz she was obviously clueless) I would've ruined my frame, new raceface crankset, and BB. If U need assistance contact a local shop. She claims to have 10 yrs experience there ... which tells me not to buy another Haro.

pommiejohnson   Cross Country Rider [Feb 11, 2010]
    Strength:

Terrific Value for money, great Steel Frame, Mary bars are a dream - I loved them so much I went out and bought another 3 pairs for other bikes. If you are 6ft or over you should be riding a 29er....this bike just glides over the trails

Stock the bike comes with BB5 and rubbish cables, I spent $100 and got BB7 with decent cables and the brakes are wicked.

Even after 18 months this bike still puts a smile on my face, I luv this bike, it just spins along and glides over everything.
    I just finished Wildside (2010) and this bike was excellent...I would absolutely ride this again...perfect for the course - although big gear for the last day :).
    For the money this is a great way to get into 29er's...and you have the option to add a hanger and run gears.

EPIC Bike!