GT Timberline 29er Hardtail

• Pedals: GT Slim Line Flat Pedal
  • Rims: Alex Ace 24, Double Wall, 32H

[Jun 14, 2014]
Bailey

Strength:

Considering the price point, the components are all respectable. Frame geometry is very nice. comfortable saddle. Decent suspension, good brakes.

Treads on the tires are not very nice or knobby, they are the first things i'll replace.

Considering the price point, the components on this bike are very good. Everything works well. There are a few things (brakes, fork) that I will upgrade within 3 or 4 years, but right now, it's perfect.

[Jan 29, 2014]
g

Strength:

frame, price

fork. wheels. rims.

A good buy as is if you're not planning on locking your brakes on this bike doing downhill single track, or having your wheels in the air. Otherwise the fork, rims, and tires all need to be swapped out for something more robust. I taco'd the stock Alex Ace 24 rear rim within a couple days and replaced it with a WTB. Fork's next. Otherwise, nice bike, great price.

[Oct 21, 2013]
Hooklyn

Strength:

Good ergo's and good starting point for a beginner on a budget or those looking to upgrade

Tires, fork, front der

Picked this up for $400 in matte black (which looks great) to get back into mountain biking and try out a 29er. I have had it for 3-4 months now and have been riding constantly and it works great. I replaced the tires and front der. pretty quickly and that made a big different at my local trail. Next up is the rear der and a new fork and I should be good to go for a long time to come.

[Sep 27, 2013]
Adam

Strength:

Among the best of the value 29ers I could find. I've seen it priced at 300 to 460. I believe the frame is of a very good quality for this price range: feels solid yet decently light. "L" frame size weighed in at 33 lbs. Shifters work great once they're in tune. I am actually going to say that these brakes are quite good too; disk brakes are over-rated, especially those that you'll find in this price range. These brakes are tune-able (line-up in multiple dimensions, pull together evenly, do not drag on the rim when released), have good response (stock cable arrangement is not too spongy) and have great stopping power.

seat, fork, tires, seat tube. The seat is pretty uncomfortable for me. If you want to do serious off-roading the tires need an upgrade, though they do grab well on steep dirt-trail climbs when compared to my wider and more aggressive 26" tires. My Fork isn't broken-in well yet but the dampening feels like it will always leave something to be desired. It comes with a 350mm seat tube... this was not long enough for me. I have 35" cycling inseam when wearing shoes and I liked the 3-4 inches of clearance the L frame size gives, but the seat did not extend far enough for comfortable pedaling. Bike shop threw in a 400mm seat post and it gave the extra 1/2" I needed without going past minimum insertion.

I wrote this review because this bike deserves a serious look if you're going for the most bike you can get under 300-400ish. Feels solid, and has great potential in the short term if you give it a good tuning, and it seems to have even more potential in the long term if you upgrade parts as they wear out.

I'm comparing this bike to a 400 dollar SE (Fuji bike) and it seems to be of better quality (double-wall rims and frame). I "upgraded" from a well-maintained Cannondale Delta-V ($1400 MSRP bike from the 90s) and this bike as a whole feels like a worthy replacement, and gets me onto a 29er for not much money

[Aug 04, 2013]
Travis
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Great frame to start with and at the $399 price point it is exactly what you expect. Great value for the money and a good starting point for a beginer or upgrades. For a bottom priced hardtail 29er look no further. Black and gray model looks great.

Fork, tires, fork, bars, fork, and stem ... did I mention the fork?

Go in with expectations of a bike that is $399 and you wont be dissapointed. The Suntour fork is bottom line as expected, and with an upgrade this bike is great. I put a Rockshox XC 32 TK on and it really changed the bike! Bars and stem are pretty heavy and the tires are crap. This is stuff that you would swap out anyway so no worries there. I also put alloy pedals on but the polymer ones aren't that bad.

Can't give it 5 chillis because of the fork but still a great bike.

[Jul 02, 2013]
Jessee Compton

Strength:

Great platform to build on, price cannot be beat US Exclusive version can be picked up for 399.00

If you plan on going off of paved surfaces replace the tires right away, they are very thin and narrow 2.1 with virtualy no tread.

Bought this bike in early April US Exclusive version for 399.00 as a platform to build on. It is a great entry level bike that is slowly helping me rediscover mountian biking. While most of the components are bottom of the barrel, "they still work to get you going," the price point cant be beat, simply upgrade as needed IMO.