GT Peace 9r 29er Hardtail

• Crankset: TruVativ Blaze
  • Pedals: Alloy Cage w/ Alloy Body
  • Bottom Bracket: TruVativ Howitzer M-15
  • Chain: KMC Z610HX, 1/2 x 1/8"
  • Seatpost: 3-D Cold Forged Micro Adjust
  • Saddle: WTB Laser V Race
  • Handlebar: Truvativ XR riser
  • Hubs: Alloy Disc QR
  • Rims: WTB Dual Duty FR, 32-hole
  • Tires: 29 x 2.30" WTB ExiWolf

Tyrone   [Mar 10, 2014]
Strength:

Geometry

Weight, especially in the wheels

This is for the 2006 V brake version (white)

Bought this 2nd hand from the big online auction site.

Weighed it when it arrived, and was surprised to find it was nearing 28 lbs in stock congiguration ! (medium)

Took it out and rode it (a lot) , and didn't really notice the weight. Well, not that much. On long fire road climbs, the weight combined with the 32-18 stock gearing about killed me. But on buff rolling single track ? Watch out. The things a rocket ship that loves the rollies.

I also admire the typical GT handling (rear end likes to slide, controllably) , and a incredibly smooth ride. Smoother than my 26" wheeled hard tails by far.

I ditched the stock wheelset, tires, cranks and BB, and got'er lightened up to a hair over 25 lbs. Let me tell you, if I had to keep one bike, this would probably be the bike to keep.

Mike Stopford   [Jun 05, 2012]
Strength:

Great handling and fun to ride

None at this price

Awesome bike. Bought secondhand a couple years ago as second bike and to try single speed experience .Quickly became my favourite bike. Rode it stock for over a year and have had more fun while improving my fitness. Now the Peace 9er is my only bike and running quality parts that I took off the Niner I wasnt using much. Now even more fun with front suspension.

Get a single speed. Better still, get a Peace 9er if you can find one.

dfw2000   Cross Country Rider [Apr 08, 2012]
Strength:

Simple, comfortable steal frame. Not much to go wrong with this bike. Easy to use and maintain. Fun to ride, quiet and allows me to be in the moment instead of always working the gears. Have not had any problems with horizontal dropouts, recommend the Surly 15mm wrench for on trail maintenance. Have not had any problems with wheels, chain, spokes. Frame appears that it will last forever.

Heavy at 30 pounds stock. WTB AM Laser Disk wheels on a single speed seem over engineered for the application. Only has one water bottle cage, evidence of cutting corners to contain cost. Tektro brakes are adequate but difficult to dial in, will upgrade at the appropriate time.

For less than $600 can't beat this bike--fun to ride, durable, simple and easy to maintain. Has become my default choice over the Kona Hei-Hei 29 and Giant XTC 26. The super comfortable size large fits me at 5'11 perfectly. I have a 32" inseam and a relatively long torso. I think this bike would great for 4 to 6 hour ride. Yes, it's a little bit heavy, the wheel set probably belongs on a different style of bike but the heart of the bike, the frame, is excellent and worth building around. Too bad these were discontinued, if you see one used well worth considering.

Similar Products Used: Have ridden a Gary Fisher Rig, seems very brittle and twitchy compared to the Peace
SS9r   Weekend Warrior [Dec 26, 2011]
Strength:

SS, simple, reliable.

Those bloody chain tensioners. Seriously.

The stock GT stem. Replace it before your bike goes into auto-steer mode. Something is wrong with the steerer clamp screws/threads.

The top tube could use a 3rd cable guide to help stop rear brake line rattle. I had to tape the cable where I thought the guide should go. All better now.

The Howitzer BB and CS's look like the only combination that gives this frame the clearance it needs. The CS radius is short near the shell for anything more than 34t.

A fun simple bike, handles well, strong frame does XC with ease. This rigid frame will make you ride with soft hands or it'll make you wish you had. The long wheelbase understeers when you stay in the saddle. Stand and lean the bike and it'll rail corners for you. I lowered the stem/riser to have a more aggressive stance and lively feel. I'm long waisted, so the long ETT length allows me on stand on climbs, stay centered over the BB and mash. Descents usually have me passing everyone. Just let the front end find the line and the rest of the bike flows. I started with the stock 32/18 and lately use 33/16. The saddle is just an option for me now because I'm standing 99% of the time. Replacing components got this bike down to 22 lbs. I now have a lighter, tough and simple, stealthy singletrack screamer that's ready for my hard (almost abusive) riding style/racing. I could have purchased a more expensive bike and I'm glad I didn't. I doubt I'll ever put a suspension fork on this frame. The cheapness/value factor of the Peace 9r SS lets me ride without the guilt that I might actually hurt it or break a component. If you can find a GT Peace 9r SS frame in good shape, get it.

Similar Products Used: My first SS
mojoman   Racer [Nov 07, 2011]
Strength:

Strong nice tripple triangle

The sliding drop out design sucks, I've seen some say it has a EBB but mine is a 2010 with a sideing dropout. the set screws are designed so they only hit half of the bolt. So when it is too tight it bends the set screw.

I bought this bike as a second bike to my FSR 29er, compleatly opposite. I like this bike for the heavy duty steel design, single speed fun, simplicity of use. But the design of the drop outs is a killer for me. Didn't GT put any R&D into this, it is just stupid. I have found some aftermarket chain tugs that may work but it shouldn't need this. Great value for the price but rating is low because it is so so heavy and the dropout design.

Similar Products Used: Niner MCR, Motobecain SS
UBUgoat   Racer [Sep 23, 2011]
Strength:

rolls over everything, it's steel, singlespeed, 29er, makes you a stronger rider, comes with free ss kool-aid packet and implant

brakes. esp the rear one. completely fried after barely any use (that's Tektro, not GT); good ole grippy but sluggish Nevegals; WTB all mountain rims go out of true easily...but then i have pounded them and who needs a 'true' wheel amongst untrue rock gardens?

great bike...it changed my life...feel sorry for my Giant full sus 26er....once it had some issues, i made a switch to the GT and raced my cat 3 class on it...got 2nd...another race against the geared guys, 2nd place again (with the 18t cog!)....then a good end to the season 5th place with the 20t cog.

a very strong and forgiving frame that survived French Creek, Bear Creek, Coal Cracker....steel is reel to real.

Similar Products Used: nothing even remotely close
cradtke   Cross Country Rider [Aug 31, 2011]
Strength:

Nice overall mountain bike for price.

Wheels could have 14 gauge spokes instead of 15 for my weight.

Replaced the gt frame with $850 Niner mcr frame. Bike only lost 1 lb. Large frame is under 6 lbs. Excellent value for the $520 for the whole bike.

Similar Products Used: Gt Avalanche, Trek 7000, Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn s9.5, Gt IDXC 3.0, Raleigh xxix ss, Niner Mcr.
socal_jack   Cross Country Rider [May 17, 2011]
Strength:

This is for the SS version 2009. Just a fun simple bike, handles well, strong,

Geared a bit tall 32/18 from factory, Easton handlebars a bit narrow for SS use 635mm. Stock pedals were crap.

Got the bike on final Nashbar close-out, couldn't beat the price.

Been really fun to ride trails I've been doing with a RIP9 for 6 months, re-discovering some riding skills that an FS can make you a bit lazy on like uphill thru rock gardens.

Outside of an initial Wiegel frame saver treatment, there's not much to go wrong, mech discs are adequate and simple, Nevegal tires give good hookup, fill keep them aired right and go ride.

Sundogdrums   Cross Country Rider [Apr 26, 2011]
Strength:

With the low approach it tractors over anything. Big ring clearance over fat logs and rocks. Beach cruiser tires stay on top of sand and snow.

Larger turning radius.

This bike is not the fastest (but neither am I) or the tightest on the twisties. However, these monster-wide handlebars give me a lot of pickup and the Wolverines grip to let me crank out of the spring moss and leaves. I won't be launching this tank, but I can stand over some big logs and get up and over some big rocks. Going back to rigid would be worse if not for the big tires. I'm 6' 0" and the large frame is just at the top end of comfortable for me. The riser and the top tube length put me at a somewhat less aggressive stance than I've had before- takes a lot of pressure off the jewels and gives waay better visibility. At the price, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Similar Products Used: GT LTS (ancient history), Bontrager Privateer, Huffy circa 1988! (commuter...)
Vacationite   Cross Country Rider [Apr 14, 2011]
Strength:

cheap,solid,well-designed

heavy

Great ride,Great frame,components heavy but will be replaced at my discretion.
I feel really fast downhill and it climbs great,though I can feel the wheel weight,having ridden a 26er with v-brakes and ultra-light wheels and tires.Am going to upgrade to lighter wheels soon and possibly a Niner carbon fork.I think the frame alone is worth more than what I paid for this bike.