Gary Fisher Superfly 29er Hardtail

• Frame: Monocoque carbon, G2 29" Geometry
  • Wheels: Bontrager Race X Lite Scandium 29 Disc, Bontrager XR1 tires
  • Componentry: SRAM X.9 front derailleur, SRAM X.0 Redwin rear derailleur, SRAM X.0 Redwin shifters, Truvativ Noir Redwin Carbon crank, Avid Elixir CR hydraulic disc brakes
  • Suspension: Fox F29 FIT RLC, 80mm travel, custom G2 Geometry 51mm offset crown

KaizerSozay   Cross Country Rider [Jan 28, 2013]
Strength:

Weight, handling, geometry,components, warranty

Cracked the 2009 and the 2011 models. Stock wheel set not that great.

Bought the 2009 Superfly to replace my full suspension Trek Top Fuel. Loved everything about the bike. Then it cracked between the headset and down tube. They said this was a common issue on that frame and warrantied it. They sent me the 2011 Superfly frame. Many of the components, most notably the fork, were not compatible so more cash out of pocket. Once it was built up it was actually better then the 2009. Felt stiffer and the steering was just a tad more relaxed. This 2011 crated at the front derailleur mount as mentioned in these other reviews. The Trek rep again said that this was a known issue with this frame and that they would warranty it.

LBS told me that the replacement frame will be here in a week and that it would be the 2013 carbon Superfly Comp frame. I pointed at the 2013 Superfly Pro SL on the website and inquired why I wouldn't be getting the latest and greatest like they sent last time. He chuckled and said those frames will never see the light of day. Too many issues with the frames breaking.

Similar Products Used: Giant Reign, Trek Top Fuel, Niner one9
Bryan   [Oct 21, 2012]
Strength:

Strong and lightweight could be a real pro ride for racers. Geometry works well for once when applied to a Carbon frame it makes almost no sense with aluminum engineers know what I mean. 29 wheels are super light tubeless setup.Rode some trails that used to take me much longer to cover. Front shock has lots of optiond for picky riders. Shifts with ease click of the button and BAM I am in the next gear. Total weight seems to be under 25lbs wow.Brakes are like powerfull enough for a motorcycle lol. Crank technology saves weight and has good tenil strength.

Minor issues with shifting uphill may just need some fine tuning bought this one used it is a 2009. Suprised that the Fox F29 has less than 120mm travel.

Great bike find one used unless your wealthy then 4400.00 should not be your problem haha I only paid 950.00USD for mine.

vonpepperberry   Racer [Apr 11, 2012]
Strength:

very fast

poor design. Carbon cracked on the 3rd ride. See picture. Trek warranteed it, but they charged me. This wasnt a manufacturing flaw, but a design flaw, too much space on seat tube for a hardtail.

Carbon cracked on the 3rd ride. See picture. Trek warranteed it, but they charged me. This wasnt a manufacturing flaw, but a design flaw, too much space on seat tube for a hardtail. Sold the warranteed frame as soon as I could. Very disappointed in how they handled the warranty

Similar Products Used: specialized stumpjumper
nevillekoen1   Weekend Warrior [Feb 25, 2012]
Strength:

excellent gear set, really smooth. 29 inch wheels awsome, smooths the trail out and rools over obsticles. Turns fast. I am 5,11 inches and its suits me fine. Due to low mount angle bike may be suitable for all sizes.

have to watch extreme loose cornering as wheels can wash out, not great lateral traction on standard tyres. Pedal height seems low as I have bumped rocks on down stroke climbes.

Awsome bike that I hope to grow with. In fact the bike is so far ahead of my potential that I will never grow bored trying to reach the bikes limits.

Similar Products Used: no
Va_Dinger   Weekend Warrior [Aug 23, 2011]
Strength:

Light, Suberb Quality, Performance

Not a fan of a aluminum brake levers on XO brakes, instead of the carbon levers. They work fine but I feel a bike in this price range should have the true XO carbon levers.

My review is for the 2011 Superfly Elite. Simply outstanding bike, without question. Light, stiff, but gives an incredible ride. I’ve experienced zero “creaking” or any other odd frame noises. It rides like a dream and the SRAM XO is the finest drive system I have never used. I strongly prefer it over XTR. I’ve heard complaints about XO/XX brakes but since this is my first disk brake bike I would not know the difference. To me the brakes are incredible.
Other than the aluminum brake levers instead of carbon XO like they should be my only complaint is that it does not say “Gary Fisher” on it except for the little “Gary Fisher Collection” signature on the top tube.

Similar Products Used: Fat City Cycles Yo Eddy
Proflex 856
Independent Fabrications Deluxe
Ragr   Cross Country Rider [Aug 19, 2011]
Strength:

I've been riding this bike (MY 2009, size XL) for more than 2 years now. I think it is a great machine. Strong points are weight, stiffness, drivebalility and geo, The SRAM X0 shifts great under any circumstance; never any hesitation.
The bike simply rolls and rolls and cornering can be done at high speed.

The Bontrager RXL wheels are not my favorite. I already broke 2 spokes, and after 1 yr the rear bearings and the freewheel had to be replaced. The made a terrible noise and had scratched the axle. And Trek gave NO warrantie. Bad!
The Bontrager parts (handlebars, tyres, wheels) are not as 'high end' as they are promised to be. Don't really like those.
Furthermore a 160mm rotor in the front is too small, I upgraded that to a 185mm rotor. In the rear the frame is too narrow to store a 2,4" tyre and NOT let it run to the front derailleur while riding the smallest blade.

I was lucky to buy this bike in a final-end-of-season-super clearing for almost half the price. Not only that but the way this bike rides, makes it a great pleasure to step on it everytime.

Similar Products Used: 26" alu bikes. Not half as good as this one. Compared with my former bikes and with my bike-friends, I'm driving in a different league.
climber50   Racer [Jul 12, 2011]
Strength:

hmm...

creeky, horrible matte paint, junk bb, g2 and e2 design is very janky and moves all over the place. 'light' wheels are not light weight. overpriced, fox factory 29 fox leaks oil right off the bat. flat bars? really trek? even jhk doesn't use flat bars. take lessons from your pro riders and listen to them, not just you budget.

trek cut corners big time and it shows within a test ride on the bike. very unfortunate.

cogsmith82   Racer [Jun 05, 2011]
Strength:

I'm rating a 2011 Trek Superfly. Great balance and handling, even around slow, tight switchbacks. Great climbing. Awesome descending. Very smooth ride for a hardtail. Reasonably light for a 29er in this price range. Great price.

I wish it were lighter. I have a problem. After riding the bike a few times, I found a crack in the backside of the front derailleur mount. It was just the mount. No structural integrity issues on the frame. Nevertheless, the very day my LBS/Trek dealer reported the warranty with just a photo of the crack, Trek shipped out a new frame for me, no questions asked. I was bummed out about the crack and I hope it doesn't happen again, but I was very impressed with Trek's warranty and service.

This is my first 29er after riding 26 for several years. I'm 5' 10" and technical bike handling isn't my greatest strength. I was skeptical to go 29. But man! After riding the Superfly, with it's fantastic geometry, I'll never go back to 26 again. This bike is way easier to handle than my 26 inch bikes in all situations and conditions. At just under 24lbs, it's not as light as my 22.5 lb motobecane but it rides 10x better. I'm climbing as fast if not faster and descending significantly faster. Just one thing... Please no more cracks.

Similar Products Used: Specialized stumpjumber FSR elite. Motobecane Fly 9357.
neilos   Racer [Jun 05, 2011]
Strength:

Weight for a large 29'er.(10.3kg) frame quality, Fox F29 G2 fork. Great spec. Awesome handling.

Shocking tyres. Creaky crank.

I will never ride a 26'er hardtail again. The frame is stiff and light, perfect for racing, the handling on this 29'er absolutely rocks. Bring on the technical singletrack.The SRAM XO transmission is the most honest i've ridden (2 X 10), brakes modulate beautifully.
The entire product is awesome save the shocking Bontrager WR Jones tyres it came with. Unable to convert to tubeless and then delaminated after a week. Buy one you wont be dissapointed these GF missiles inspire confidence especially if ure over 6"

Similar Products Used: Giant Anthems(3 models), Santa Cruz Tallboy.
Terrible Herbst   Cross Country Rider [Dec 10, 2010]
Strength:

Light, fast, turning is exceptional. Decent suspension, good uphill, Great Downhill. 2011 price dropped ~grand; good value.

A little twitchy in tight, slower corners. Wide handle-bars take some getting used to, but will never switch-out now. Stock grips were a little slick and narrow for my fat hands.

I'm concerned about the complaints about the frame cracking or being weak. I am 6', 220 lbs and am pretty hard on bikes. The second day on my Superfly 100, I raced the 25 mi Fall Colorfest in the Kettle Moraine and this machine was a dream. I was making uphills that used to have me walking and sailing downhills with a new level of confidence. I heard someone make the comparison of "riding in the bike" vs. "riding on the bike" with the Superfly, I agree. I had test rode a Specialized 29" FS Aluminum on a trail before going to the SF 100 and I really prefer the geometry and cockpit of the Superfly. May just come down to personal preference when getting to this price level. Rode it on a dozen trails so far and no sign of cracks or lose joints yet.........

Similar Products Used: 2000 Rocky Mountain FS, 2002 Fisher Sugar, 2010 Specialized FS 29er.